Portrait lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Starred, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Starred

Starred Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    What is currently the best lens for shooting portraits (with shallow DOF)?

2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    best lens? .... probably a leica 75mm sumilux - but as they go for several thousand dollars maybe you want to define your question a little better

a native m43 lens ? or are you looking for bargain basement legacy lenses or are you prepared to spend a little more.

if you are looking at legacy lenses then I have a set on flickr that covers a lot of lenses - not all are portraits but might give you some ideas

Legacy lenses - a set on Flickr

Kevin

3. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Realistically? Legacy glass. You can get all kinds of 50ish mm f/1.4-1.7 lenses for less than $50, and an adapter for another $20. Hard to beat that kind of value.

if you need something that can AF, there's always the superb (both in IQ and in $$) PanLeica 45mm f/2.8 Macro. It's really more of a macro than a portrait lens, but can be used very well as such.

You could also use the 45-200mm and gain that DOF with compression, and distancing your subject from the background.

We aren't big on portrait lens options at the moment.

4. Starred

Starred Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Wow, great examples on that link, exactly the kind of pictures I would like to make!
    Where can I find some more info about a nice legacy glass combined with an adapter?

5. everythingsablur

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    There is a forum here specifically for adapted lenses.

Adapted Lenses - Micro Four Thirds User Forum

6. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    The lens you have with you. An artist can create excellent portraits with any lens. As long as you don't know what kind of portrait you want to shoot, new gear won't help you.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    For u4/3, a fast 50mm lens. An older one is more forgiving for portraits. You do not want a sharp/high contrast lens. One that is on the softer side, and with lower contrast will produce a pleasing portrait.

A Jupiter-3 5cm F1.5 is a good choice. It is 39mm Leica thread mount, and a good copy of the Zeiss Sonnar. On a u4/3, it is small and well balanced.

8. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    don't know what your budget is or indeed what current prices are out there today as i bought mine a year or more ago, but almost any 50mm sub f2 will give nice results compared to the kit lens you got with the camera

personal favs that I have used for portraits are

Olympus OM 50 1.4

Contax 50/1.7

Nikkor 50/1.2

Pentax m42 50/1.4

all of these apart from the 1.2 nikkor were less than 100 euros when i bought them and all are very fine lenses stopped down a stop or 2. All will show interesting characteristics shot wide open, but that is part of the charm

end of the day a good portrait is not dependant on the lens and more on the photographer

• Like Like x 1
  9. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    attachment.php?attachmentid=1763&stc=1&d=1281312269.

My favorite for portraits is the uncoated 5cm F1.5 Sonnar. This one is from 1935, and is wide-open here. The J-3 will have a bit more contrast, but the same over-all look.

Attached Files:

10. Starred

Starred Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Does anyone know if there a native micro 43 primelens on the roadmap which could be nice for portraits?

11. everythingsablur

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    The PanLeica 45ME Macro is a pretty decent native prime lens for portraiture. Expensive, but it's really a true 1:1 macro.

Not on the official roadmaps which only detailed what was to be released through the end of this year. Perhaps 2011 roadmaps will be shown at Photokina next month. Rumours are Panasonic does have a surprise "off roadmap" lens to debut next month as well.

12. kiynook

kiynook Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2010
    I have read that 50mm to 100mm (35mm equivalent) are the preferred portrait lens focal lengths, so 25mm to 50mm prime lenses are what should work for micro 4/3.

My wedding photographer uses 85mm F1.2 on his 5DMkII which translates into 42mm f1.2 for micro 4/3. Too hard and too expensive to buy, e.g. PEN F 42mm F1.2.

So I stuck to 40mm to 55mm legacy primes ranging from f1.2 to f2.0. Pictures taken with my T* 50mm f1.7 or Canon FD 55mm f1.2 allows me to use Art Filters Soft Focus on Sephia with minus 0.5EV to create the nostalgic look.

For AF, I use Zuiko 14mm to 54mm Mk II.

13. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    And you could also use diffusers and the likes… I have a few cokin filters that I use with the never AF lenses to achieve soft skin, spot focus and etc…

And if you have something to trade, I have a extra olympus om 50mm 1.8, up for trade at the marketplace…