1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Portrait lens for E-P3

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by clufus, Oct 12, 2011.

1. clufus

clufus New to Mu-43

Aug 24, 2011
    Sheffield, UK
    Please give this novice some advice re a portrait lens purchase: I'm attracted to the PL 45, but there are so many glowing reviews re the new Oly 45mm, that I can't help thinking this might be a better buy (& cheaper - half the price!) Are the optics that much better on the PL? I'm learning the art, by the way, but using DOF to create good portraits is blowing me away, so any lens is going to be a good investment.

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    The Oly 45mm is a much better portrait lens. It is fast, has a pleasant background blur, is more compact, nice colors, good corners, etc. etc.

I enjoyed the PL 45mm and it is amazingly sharp, in the center at least, but it is a bit slow for portraits and there is noticeable vignetting at the fastest apertures.

Unless you need the macro, where the PL 45mm I think is very good, you are better off grabbing the Oly.

3. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    You probably know this already, but legacy 'portrait' lenses abound and are cheap. Any standard 50mm lens for 35mm can be adapted to m43 and makes an excellent portrait lens. You'd have to focus it manually, but it's the cheapest way to go and the quality can be outstanding.