Portrait Lens...and other questions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by derelict, May 6, 2015.

1. derelict

derelict Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2015
    So, I am an avid Pentax guy but carrying around all the DSLR stuff has just gotten to be too much of a chore, to be honest. So, I have purchased an M10. Initial impressions: this is going to be a lot of fun and has injected some spontaneity in shooting again. Not having to lug around a bunch of stuff is oh so nice. So nice that I am debating selling my APS-C stuff (I still shoot film). I have downloaded the Supercharging book and will begin playing around to find my desired settings. Here are a couple questions I have:
    - The kit lens is really quite good but I am looking to purchase a portrait length lens. In APS-C, 85mm is pretty much the right length giving no barrel distortion at all. What is the equivalent of that in M4/3? I am happy, for now, with the kit zoom, but the portrait/ telephoto is a must (I have a 5 month old). Also looking for a ~20mm wide angle.
    - The touchscreen being so large and proud of the body makes me nervous. I am a careful person but my wife is not. I have a feeling that it will get cracked or something. Is there a screen protector or something I can slap on there? Like what you can put on a cell phone?

2. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Get a used 45mm F1.8. Great fast portrait/general lens at a low price...small/light too. The 75mm F1.8 is awesome too, but much heavier, but much revered.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. freyr

freyr Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2015
    Bulgaria
    Angel
    85mm on APS-C is roughly equivalent to 130mm on FF. The closest thing to that is the Sigma 60mm f2.8, at 120mm f5.6 equivalent. That, however, may not satisfy you in terms of shallow depth of field. Of course there's always Olympus' 75/1.8, giving a 150/f3.5 (in terms of DoF) equivalent. This is much more expensive though. I personally use this lens a lot and find it fantastic. The 45/1.8 is also a nice choice: small, light, relatively cheap, sharp.. but it won't be as long as 85mm on APS-C.

4. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    The m43 "crop factor" to FF is 2x. An 85mm on APS-C is about 130mm FF equiv. so something between 60 and 75 on m43 will be close.

There is the Sigma 60/2.8 with an incredibile quality/price ratio, the Oly 60mm macro and the Oly 75/1.8.
    A little shorter there are two 42.5 from Panasonic 1.2 and 1.7, the 45/1.8 from Oly, the 42.5/0.95 from Voigtlander, one from Mitakon 1.2, maybe others.

At this focal length you can also easily adapt old manual focus lenses.

5. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
  6. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Barrel distortion is a characteristic of a specific lens's design and is unrelated to focal length.

7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aside from all the prime lenses mentioned here, you might also look at the Panasonic 35-100mm f2.8.

The 45mm f1.8 or new 42.5mm f1.7 is likely your best solution, though. It's a little shorter than the 85mm you are used to on your DSLR, but it gives very similar output. The slightly wider focal length also makes working distance a bit more reasonable. It is enough of a short telephoto to not cause any perspective distortion in portraits.

Also, when you mention "20mm wide angle", I'm not sure if you are speaking in absolutes, APS-C terms or FF equivalent, since you have mentioned all 3 formats in your post. If you could elaborate there, also including budget and intended usage, we could provide some better advice.

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  8. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Agree with others about the Oly 45/1.8. Can't really go wrong with it.

What are the budget considerations? That might help us give you some alternatives, like the Sigma 60/2.8 for example. A cheap zoom like the Oly 40-150/4-5.6 might also be something to consider.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Another option is to get an adapter to use one of your excellent Pentax 50mm primes (Surely you've got at least one!) This would be a manual focus option but if you shoot film I doubt you'd be too worried by that.
    My M50/1.4 works rather nicely giving a 100mm equivalent or if mounted via a focal reducer a 75mm/1.2 (I had to get an EOS based reducer & add an EOS to PK adapter but I think there are now PK mount reducers around). The M50/1.7 works just as well too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

As one former Pentax guy to another, welcome. I used my OMD-EM5 kit for awhile and then jumped in whole hog, selling my K5ii and 4 other lenses.

My best indoor portrait lens now is the Oly 45 mm f/1.8. Small, light but superbly sharp with excellent face rendering, you can't really go wrong with it. For studio photographers, the Oly 75 mm is also an excellent choice but it is a little long for general use. As others have mentioned, the Oly 60 mm Macro also doubles as a slightly longer portrait choice quite well. The Sigma 60 mm Art lens is also very, very good.

Another, somewhat more expensive option, is to replace the kit lens with the beautiful Oly 12-40 mm f2.8 PRO. I use that baby for almost everything and the long end, at 80 mm full-frame equivalent, works as a nice, short portrait lens.

11. derelict

derelict Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2015
    I am still a Pentax guy...just not thinking that it will be with DSLR anymore. Still shoot film with a few different Pentax bodies and A mount lenses. I am looking for something around $250 for the lens, used or new. I have no problem buying used as most of the lenses I own are used. I am weighing pros and cons of the 45 and the Sigma 60. Both look very nice.

12. lowlight

lowlight Mu-43 Regular

Jun 3, 2014
    Norway
    I own both the 45 1.8 and the sigma 2.8 and loving both, although they are somewhat close i like the size and feel of the sigma better then the oly 45.

the oly 45 gives a bit more pleasing out of focus background and is superb for portraits, but the sigma is not to far behind

13. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Really they are very similar and while the 60mm f2.8 has a slower aperture, the longer focal length all but makes up for it in terms of bg blur. The 45mm allows for higher shutter speeds in low light and is a bit more flexible in general terms (often is is easier to move a little closer for portraits than back). For outdoor portraits in all but the worst light, they are essentially equals.

The Sigma 60mm f2.8 is actually one of the sharpest tested lenses in the m4/3 system. The 45mm is very sharp, too, but it absolute terms the 60mm is better.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    A cheap way to get a telephoto zoom lens for portraits is the Olympus 40-150 f/4-5.6. It's sharp, focuses fast and it's small and very light. Sometimes it can even go for $99 or less brand new. Unless you're after extreme shallow depth of field which a 45 1.8 will do great, the 40-150 is a decent start.

15. Nawty

Nawty Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    The Oly 45mm is a stunning lens and perfect for portraits.

Super-duper sharp and shallow enough depth of field as you really need.

Cheap too.

• Like Like x 1
  16. nublar

nublar Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2013
    SOCAL
    Yeah the 45mm F1.8 is $225 shipped to US @ Amazon.co.uk

17. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    If you did not found the time yet to explore the forum here you can find many samples for almost any native m43 lens around: https://www.mu-43.com/forums/80/

And here is a twin space for adapted lenses: https://www.mu-43.com/forums/40/ To adapt a lens you need nothing but a cheap (10/15$) dumb adapter.

Just to sum up and waste some time :)

m43 APS-C FF
    45 60 90
    60 80 120

18. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    I use this and have been pleased with it. High quality and easy to install. A nice bonus is that they give you two protectors and provide everything you need to install it. http://amzn.com/B00F9ZE3VI

It won't protect against a hard point impact, but there isn't much that will do that except covering it with a hard cover or inside a case.

19. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

+1. I have them on all of my MILC bodies. If one gets scratched or otherwise marked, it is easy to change. I keep a couple of extras and the installation card in my extra equipment bag.

20. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I just wanted to add my agreement with the views on the Oly (and not having had a Sigma can't but its on my next to get list) to say that its not only a very good image making tool, but is ultra compact. I use on my GF1 and it and the 20mm are a great people party pair.

Depending on working distance (like how far you can step back) the 45 works well at ranges like "across the table"
    15719382033_cd730c5415_b.

and in relatively crowded rooms

the f.18 helps to keep shutter speeds higher (like in dimly lit rooms) as with people its unwise to rely on IBIS / OIS because people move.

Of course the 45 will accentuate any camera movement less so than the 60 but that's QED...

There are some bargains out there in the used market and with the field getting filled in with competition its a great time to be in m43 (well and having been in right from the start, its always been good ;-)