Portrait Contest Entries.. legacy choices.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Alanroseman, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Just an observation.

In one quick spin through the entires, I noticed that more than half of them were shot with legacy lenses.

This is apropos of nothing, just a curiosity of mine. As I can not enter any contests, it gives me something to keep my small mind occupied.

No lens info in post: 5
    Native Lenses: 10
    Legacy Lenses: 17

Is there any doubt remaining that µ43 users are the kings when it comes to shooting legacy glass?

Interesting isn't it?

• Like Like x 1
  2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    m43 cameras do make using legacy lenses pretty convenient. It was one of the reasons I chose to go with m43 over something else. It also helps that fast 50s which are cheap and plentiful end up being pretty good portrait lenses. My OM 50/1.8 makes a terrific portrait lens and it came to me in almost new condition for $30. With all due respect to the new Olympus 45/1.8 that is a pretty attractive prospect to some (me included).
  3. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    I think my Olympus OM system legacy lens have more character than the kit lens that was provided with my E-PL2.

So I prefer shooting with my OM lenses :smile:
  4. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    You know, in a recent thread another member suggested that DSLR users enjoyed lots of legacy lenses.

I'm sure they do, but I don't think DSLR's compare in this regard. The short flange distance.

I shall quote the penguin.

"Micro Four Thirds with it's short flange distance and constant live view opened up all sorts of possibilities to use adapted lenses"

The proof as they say is in the pudding. Amazing amount of legacy glass entries in this months NIK contest.
  5. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Well... don't you think it's slightly skewed because there's no really "affordable" native portrait lens for m4/3 yet? :wink:

Let's have another portrait contest in a year and see how many entries are made with the 45mm f/1.8 :tongue:

(I have no idea how that will turn out, btw)
  6. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Oh sure. As the 45 gets into circulation it'll be very big in the portrait category..no doubt.

I just find it interesting how many folks mount the legacy glass to shoot, that's all.

7. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    That could be but still you are looking at $300 vs $50 (with adapter). I am not so sure the 45/1.8 is going to mean folks won't still be drawn to legacy glass. It will be interesting to see if that changes.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    PS. I don't think it's "skewed" at all. it is what it is.
  9. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    For me, it's because I have much fun using my old glass in a digital camera body.
    I cant' say I will get a native lens for portraits very soon. The only native lens I'm missing so far is a long tele like the 100-300, because it's very difficult to get non blurred images over 135mm without OIS. And, besides that, it's a pain to focus using magnification with long teles, because the image shakes too much.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I enjoy using the legacy lenses as much as anyone but I could really use some form of focus-confirm function. Either the Sony style shimmer or a Python-esque 'machine that goes ping'. Maybe not such a big-deal with an EVF but the zoom-to-focus on rear-display only models can be a time-consuming PITA.

Its a little disappointing the firmware upgrades for the Oly/Pana cameras stalls after an initial slew of fixes. If it truly is an eco-system they're building then ongoing software improvements would be a great differentiator in the market. Eg Apple release ongoing iOS improvements to iPad/iPhones for a couple of years but Android vendors tend to just flog new hardware with a new OS - one company gets it, the other(s) don't - one builds brand loyalty the other(s) don't.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston

That to me is the one thing the NEX has over the Epl3 and it seems easy to implement, come on Oly! We want focus peaking!
  12. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Yep, that would be great. I still hope there will be a firmware upgrade for the GH2 with some of the functions of the G3, but they may wait until the GH2 hack is finished to screw these guys up - if they care at all, that is...

13. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Legacy glass won't be going away - far from it. I myself have quite a few legacy lenses. I like their quality and manual focusing can be fun.

For what I shoot though - candid portraits - I miss way too many shots manually focusing. That's why I got the ZD 50mm f/2; I was hoping the slower AF would help (it didn't as it was still way too slow). And that's why I'll be getting the 45mm f/1.8. Nothing worse than missing a shot...

If not for the ZD 50 and the Oly 45 I'd still be shooting with my Canon FD 50mm f/1.4. :biggrin:
  14. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Same here but I seem to shoot even more candidly than you - if I could get my 50 and especially 85/1.4 Planars to autofocus on the GH2 I would be happy as a clam and not even look at any upcoming lenses anymore. The 45mm is just a bit too short for my taste but obviously that's what we get for now...

15. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    For me, legacy glass allows me to fill a void in native glass...
    I own a 55mm Micro Nikkor ($65.00), a 135mm f/2.8 Q Nikkor ($45.00), a HUGE/HEAVY 400mm f/5.5 Tele Astranar (made in W. Germany in the 1950's)
    ($60.00 + $48.00 for CLA and Iris blades [16] cleaned and reinstalled)... a few others.. Legacy lenses do afford a [sometimes] faster, high IQ lens for nickels on the dollar in many cases.

To me, I grab lens I want/need for the subject.... it is a tool after all.
  16. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    As has been said, this may simply be because of the absense of a sensible native lens, and the poor focus speed and expense of the Olympus 4/3rds 50mm.
    What were they thinking? :confused:
  17. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Well, I just entered my picture for the competition, and it was shot with the 45-200mm Panasonic lens.

And, that's not because I don't own legacy lenses, but just because I do like to shoot with AF when it needs to go fast, like on parties and stuff like that.

C U
  18. Flagg

Flagg Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2011
    Apeldoorn, Netherlands
    The only reason I shoot with legacy glass right now is because I can. At this moment i"m scavaging the interwebs for OM mounts 'cause I bought an OM adapter. Maybe I'll get another adapter after this (minolta maybe, there is some minolta glass in the family ;)) or I'll get rid of it all and go for native.

For now I like it and I can experiment (being a very novice "photographer") with loads of different glass without breaking the bank, there are 4 vivitar OM (yeah yeah) lenses coming my way as we type in a alu case for 55€, if it's real rubbish, I make ashtray's out of them and it's still cheap. :tongue: (and have really cool astrays)
    The manual focussing part is quite interesting and it teaches me a lot about DOF and Aperture on the go. I had a few "oh that's how it works" moments with my ancient oly. MF with the native lenses just isn't the same, I feel less in control somehow.

For the experienced photographer it is quite different I can imagine. (been there, done that)

And for the contest it happened to be on my camera, and when I was playing with the manual focus I noticed I could easily focus more in the distance to get the reflection of the sculpure in the pictureframe sharp. Try that with AF.:cool:
  19. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I like the legacy glass because I can buy quality prime lenses for a fraction of what an autofocus native lens would cost. I've found some real bargains on fast primes and I now own more lenses for my E-PL1 than I have for my Canon 40D.