1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Portfolio site - all M4/3

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by grum, Nov 23, 2010.

1. grum

grum Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2010
  2. Krag

Krag New to Mu-43

Nov 17, 2010
    Wellington, NZ
    Stunning advert for m43 there, you have some great shots. The watermark is little over the top in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I like it - loads reasonably fast, large images and has a neat and clean style.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jhob

jhob Mu-43 Veteran

nice site and some nice pics there. Agreed on the watermark - it's too big and does distract from your images. I'd suggest making it much smaller and tucking it away in the corner, or not bothering at all.

• Like Like x 1
  5. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    I would go along with the comments made above, clean, neat layout, excellent pictures but distracting watermark.

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  6. grum

grum Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2010
    Thanks everyone. I know what you mean about the watermark - will try making it more discreet. I have had people take and use pics without consent from facebook/flickr before so I'm not sure I want to do away with it completely. If people are going to take pics I would at least like to have a link/credit on there.

Maybe I'll get rid of the logo and just have the web address instead though.

7. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Graham, you've done a great job on that site! Please consider adding it to your signature line, so that we'll all be able to get to it more quickly in the future. I'm bookmarking your site, just so you know.

I do agree that the watermark needs some rethinking, but that's it. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Malo1961

Malo1961 Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Great layout, easy to the eye and concentrating on what is important.
    Indeed a compliment to ┬Á 4/3 in general and to your photographic skills particularly.

Now the little niggles.....First as mentioned above, the ┬ęcopyright watermark.
    Just forget about it. Upload your pictures at minimal resolution and size and make sure each picture has full ITPC info added to it. IF you notice somebody
    grabs your picture without permission just consider this kind of theft the biggest form of flattery. If they try to make money out of it, they should have the
    original and prove they own it. And....this is not going to be the case.
    Which leaves you with some poor sods who try to impose your work as their own. They soon will be exposed anyhow, it always comes out to the open.
    To tackle the Orphaned Picture Act, which isn't sanctioned yet (I believe), the ITPC info would cover that.

On some of the pictures I noticed the arrows (previous/next picture) showed up within the actual picture. With other pictures it didn't. You should fix that.

Nonetheless.......A great start of a very neat website. Be proud and continue.

• Like Like x 1
  9. grum

grum Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2010
    Thanks BBW and Malo - much appreciated. :D

I will add it to my signature, but I might wait 'til I've sorted it out just a little more.

It seems the opinion on the watermark is overwhelming! I will need to reupload all the pics but I think you are probably all right so it's worth doing.

Cheers.

I know what you mean - I'm not sure if I can fix that but I will have a look.

10. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Thanks for giving this luxury of being able to view all those great images you have made! Indeed they are so great that they distract, at least my view, out of the signature, which would be too large maybe in some not so great images. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  11. grum

grum Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2010
    Thanks Vivalo, you're very kind :)

I've done some tweaking to the appearance of the site, nothing too drastic - haven't had time to sort out the watermarks yet.

12. grum

grum Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2010
    I've got rid of the watermarks now, and done a bit more tweaking. Any views on the latest revision would be very welcome.

13. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Grum,
    You may want to add this to our new "Links" list.
    That way you can get more exposure for your efforts.
    The links tab on top will get you there.
    Don

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I just stopped by for the first time and then read this thread and was wondering about all of the fuss about watermarks? :cool:

I think it looks very good and is generally organized well. You might want to consider adding a little bit of introductory language to the home page, just in terms of what you offer and then let people go to the other pages for more information. I wanted to look around so I did, but if I just happened onto the site, I might not know what you do/offer without digging and not everyone will dig.

BTW, the kid in #6 in the portraits/people gallery looks like he could grow up to be Keith Richards... :smile:

-Ray

15. BBW

16. BBW

Graham, many thanks for being the first to add your website to the new Members Sites section in our Links Directory.:drinks:

17. grum

grum Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2010
    No worries, thanks for accepting it :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    Just got to see all your superb pictures and they are terrific. I also have the GF1 and G1 and to see what can be done with this equipment by someone with skill and artistry is encouraging to put it mildly. Panasonic should offer you a possition. It also occured to me how exciting it would be to take a workshop with someone who used m4/3. I used my G1 exclusively on a workshop in the Adirondacks this summer and it did itself proud. The notion that a "serious" photographer needs a DSLR is total bunk. I am convinced that with care and experience, a camera like the G1 or GF1 can truly shine in any situation.

19. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    I think its an excellent site and the images are very good :thumbup:

20. grum

grum Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2010
    You're very kind, thanks a lot :biggrin:

I have thought of running workshops, as I currently work in education and do run them as part of my current job (music related). I would feel a little presumptuous doing it for photography though as I only really started at the beginning of this year when i got my GF1 - I have taken at least 20,000 pics and spent a lot of time learning/reading/researching since then though. :cool: It's definitely something to think about for the future. I've also just emailed Panasonic's EU Marketing Director asking them if they want to sponsor me, thanks for the idea. :p

Don't suppose anything will come of it but you never know. If nothing else they might put a link to my site somewhere which will help drive traffic to the site.

Thanks very much :)