Portfolio Reviews

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jamesgehrt, Oct 2, 2014.

1. jamesgehrt

jamesgehrt Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2014
    Easthampton, Massachusetts
    James Gehrt
    Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone out there has done a professional portfolio review session. I am heading to NYC for Photo Expo Plus the weekend of October 31, and I thought I would treat myself to a review session. It is steep in price and I wanted to see if it is worth the cost, 5 sessions for 250.00.

http://palmspringsphotofestival.com/2014-review/

I am not making a living on my photography, but I work in the field. My work has always just been a part of my own obsession with the medium and need to create. I have produced my own self published books and have had a few shows over the past 20 years but wanted to see if these events produce any more results. I have researched the reviewers that I would like to see and I have tried to match their interests with my style.

Here is a link to my online portfolio.

http://jamesgehrtphoto.com/new_favorites

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

— James

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    What would be the purpose/need of the review? The answer to that question should help you get more specific feedback.

--Ken

3. jamesgehrt

jamesgehrt Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2014
    James Gehrt
    Thanks Ken.

Good question. Which I guess I didn't think about. I just always wanted some feedback from folks in the field.

The purpose would be, to see if there are any opportunities for my work that I may be missing out on. Publication, exhibition, collections, etc. My images don't fit the typical commercial or editorial mold. In an ideal setting, I would look for advice on presenting the work, follow up and promotion for possible fine art book publication or exhibition. Looking for contacts and advice in a competitive field, that require making a full time job of it. Looking for a broader view of where my work fits into the larger universe of photography. I guess I am looking to see if others have been to these types of reviews and found them worth while. Or, is it just a pat on the back, thank you very much, and on your way.

4. jamesgehrt

jamesgehrt Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2014
    James Gehrt
    By the way, nice website. I enjoyed your artist statement as well as the images.

JG

5. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Thank you for the kind words! I enjoyed your site as well. It has a very classic and timeless (and consistent) B/W style that I really like.

There is a certain appeal about portfolio reviews, but, IMHO, they are kind of a business in and of themselves (as are photo competitions which are often associated with portfolio reviews). Reviewers can come from all industries, and they can provide you with feedback, often quite frank (or brutal if you get the wrong reviewer) that can sometimes be helpful, and sometimes not. If you are looking to expand your exposure (and possible sales), then a review is probably in the picture, but I suspect that who you choose is as important since they can connect you with their contacts (and sponsored contests) if they like you. Do you know anybody who has had a review, especially fromthe folks that you are considering, that could offer thier perspective?

Also, Ming Thein recently wrote about his recent experiences trying to move into the fine art world, and it was not pretty. You may want to read his blog and see how he was received (or not if you do not want to hear some possibly discouraging news).

I am sure that with a bit more dialog in this thread, you should be able to get a better sense of what makes sense as youmvoe forward.

Good luck,

--Ken

• Like Like x 1