1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Portfolio critique thread

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by pasisti, Jan 18, 2015.

1. pasisti

pasisti Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2013
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hi all

In this thread we can critique each others' photography portfolios! This is not meant for promotion or advertisement of any kind, and this is supposed to be a safe place for work-in-progress portfolios. In order to keep this thread straightforward, questions on which portfolio site to use can also be asked elsewhere.

Advice for posters:
    1) Try to ask specific questions to save time for the nice people giving you critique. As in: "Are the too many photos of the same shoot or even overall", "Does the site seem logical or do you get lost in it", "Does the site architecture work as intended", or "Is the order of the photos working for you".
    2) Please state the reason for your portfolio. For who is it for? This will help the people giving you advice!
    3) Accept the critique for what it is. A lot of things are subjective, some just more than others. If you have done your site using comic sans and you embedded a rick'rolling video in there, you might get some backslash but if that is your artistic view, please don't let it stop you!
    4) Obviously, the forum rules apply for the posted portfolio links! So no affiliation links or links to portfolios behind a like-wall or something similar.

Advice for the critique:
    1) Let's keep it constructive! :)

Please note: The links for the portfolios might be temporary, because people might be using trial accounts for different sites before they get something they love! If you have posted your portfolio up for critique and then move to another web address, it would be perfect if you could edit your post and mention the new address.

• Like Like x 1
  2. pasisti

pasisti Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2013
    Helsinki, Finland
    I guess I will be the first to see what happens! :)

I'm an amateur photographer with two years of experience with cameras and this is meant to be my first public portfolio. The site is meant for basic online presence and hopefully to attract some potential customers looking for photographers. It's not meant for a professional caliber sale of photography services. I'm still working on the "about me" text, it's just a placeholder at this time. I'm looking for advice in the following areas:

1) How do you like the site architecture/look? Any nagging parts?
    2) Is the font of my name and the menu "too much" or is at OK?
    3) Are there too few pictures in the specific portfolios? These are my best work so I don't know how much more (at least different) material I have.
    4) Are there some photos that really don't fit the category or otherwise don't justify their presence in the portfolio?
    5) Should I limit the amount of photos in the main site? It has currently all the photos. I just kind of like the "wall of photos" look it gives.

EDIT: I have made some changes to the site since, most importantly there are no more categories and all photos are in the same portfolio.

Site: Matias Löyttyniemi (Yikes!)

Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
  3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, I know it's been awhile since you posted this...

1. looks good to me; the only thing I'm not sure about is the darker images don't have a clear border as the background is black, but I'm not sure there's a good solution other than using an odd color.

2. I don't especially care for the font, but I'm conservative that way

3. I only see 1 portfolio right now, but I've always read that one should only feature their best work.

3. I've started grouping my pics on 500px by subject; perhaps separate your landscapes into a separate folder/portfolio

4. not sure what the category is right now

5. looks OK right now other than the borders mentioned in #1 above

Barry

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I like it! It's easy to navigate and the black makes the images stand out. One critique I have is that there doesn't seem to have an overall direction. I like the variety of work on display to show your range, but I feel you need to have a stronger artistic statement to lead the way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. pasisti

pasisti Mu-43 Regular

Dec 16, 2013
    Helsinki, Finland
    Thank you for the comments!

After posting this a long time ago, I removed the categories and put everything on the same album. The reason was that there were only about 5-8 pictures on each category and they seemed a bit redundant as the quality was definitely not that professional.

I get the point about the amount of variety, that is something I will consider! Maybe that will eventually lead me to have some categories as well.

Let's see who is the next brave individual to ask for thoughts here! :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. spatulaboy

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
  7. Will Karstens

Will Karstens Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2015
    southern california
    Will Karstens
    Mr. Tsai, your photos never fail to inspire me!

Very respectfully,
    William

8. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    Matias, very nice work, although I would agree that the presentation is a little random, but please don't look the randomness on my Flickr site.

Vincent, stunning as always. Your portraits are always some of the very best on this site.

9. spatulaboy

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Hey this is the CRITIQUE thread, not the "Shower Vincent with praise" thread. Although if you want that thread I can make it happen. lol. j/k

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1