1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Portable external hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by johnny9fingers, Sep 6, 2011.

1. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Mu-43 Veteran

2. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
  3. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Seems a bit expensive for a 5400rpm drive. I bought a 1.5gb Seagate Flex Go portable drive for 188.00 yesterday in Australia and we always pay more than the US. The advantage of the Flex Go is that when they release a thunderbolt connector I'll just get one and then all my portable drive will run at Thunderbolt speeds :).

Gordon

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Huh, pretty high end stuff. Difficult to give much more advice without knowing exactly what you're looking for in an external...

5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I have had great luck with OWC storage stuff, internal and external.

I assume you are looking for firewire and bus-powered (powered off data cable and no need to carry AC/DC brick)? If so, those would be good options. If not, as others mentioned, would be cheaper to go with a USB device.

BTW, I usually buy the OWC enclosures without hard drives and then buy the bare/OEM drives from places like Amazon and Newegg. It saves a few bucks and they are pretty easy to install yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  6. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    I use 2x 2Tb WD "My Book Essiensials" USB3 compatible... Fast and reliable.... one is a Backup for the other

7. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
  8. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    I've always been happy with Western Digital external drives. The 120GB 2.5" drive, and 500GB 3.5" I bought in around 2004/5 are still going strong. Having said that, the 40GB 2.5" I put together a couple of years earlier has never skipped a beat either. Most recent addition is a WD 1TB 2.5" USB3 which seems fine so far. it'd be even better if I had a computer with USB3!

No hands on experience with the OWC drives, but at that price point I'd be expecting USB3. Might not be an issue if you're planning on using firewire or eSATA. If you're using mac then I'd definitely be looking/waiting for thunderbolt.

2.5" drives are the only way to go. 3.5" with power brick are a pain in the @#$

9. johnny9fingers

Is Thunderbolt a Mac only option? Right now I'd use firewire and USB 2.0, and USB power. I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T61, so that would be what I'd be transfering files from.... I'll check out the user ratings from Newegg, thanks...

10. wattseee

wattseee Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2011
    At this stage yes. not sure if any PC manufacturers are looking to adopt it in the future.

11. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Unless you are traveling with them, you pay an unnecessary premium on the 2.5" drives. External desktop drives are cheaper and faster. I've had luck with Western Digital Mybook drives. IIRC a 1Tb should be under $100

12. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Check Staples, 1Tb Seagate Flex Go portable drive for $79.99, it's on page 1

Staples Weekly Ad

13. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I have a water- and shock-proof portable USB 3.0 hard drive by Silicon Power. It's rather bulky but extremely well-made. I plan to purchase two more of these.

14. johnny9fingers

I will be hauling them around so they have to be able to handle a bump or two. Are the Seagate GoFlex drives durable????

15. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I've had mine for about a month, I keep it in a Case Logic HD carry case and keep in my Tenba bag. I use it almost on a daily basis. So far so good.
    Sam

16. flash

Apr 29, 2010
    Gordon
    I have mine in a soft case and just throw it in my computer bag. I've been doing this for about a year with no issues.

Thunderbolt is Mac only at this stage, but the flexes are also standard with USB3.

Gordon

17. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    Keep in mind for durability etc...

1) solid state drives are the most durable for bumps and bruises.

2) for spinning HD's keep in mind no matter whom stickers the case, they all come from about 3 people... seagate, samsung, and western digital, I think everyone else is sub-owned by those 3 now. So when talking reliability... realistically they're all about the same. Buy the cheapest thing listed, open it up and you'll find the same companies HD in there as a more expensive ones.

18. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    oh if you've got a T61 I think you've only got usb2 anyways.

I've fried a goflex drive with in 1 month of owning it... at least it was under warranty with direct replacement from the shop.

Also goflex drives aren't usb3 by default, they're still just usb2, you have to buy a special adapter to make them usb3. If you open them up, they're just standard sata drives with a sata -> usb adapter made to look fancy. It would operate no different than any other sata drive with usb 2 or 3 connector stuck to it. (but before you try it, the goflex drives are not the same height as regular laptop drives, they're about 5mm higher so they won't fit in standard laptops...).

19. flash

Apr 29, 2010
    Gordon
    They are now. They used to come with a USB2 connection and USB3 was optional. Two days ago when I picked up my latest 1.5TB drive it came with the USB3 connector as standard as did all the 1GB drives on display. I think it's a recent upgrade though, as my older drives had the USB2 connector in the box.

I've had a few drives go down as well. I don't think the seagates are any better of worse than other brands. I suppose it just reinforces the need for more than one backup of your images. I also keep all my images on a NAS system as well. I just mentioned them because the flexible docking solutions are cool. Use the same drive with FireWire, USB3 and when the thunderbolt connector is made available all the drives you have will get a nice speed boost. I use USB3 on my windows machines (via an express card) and FW800 on my MacBook Pro. Every other portable drive I've seen has a fixed connection type so you're stuck with what they give you.

Gordon

20. johnny9fingers

What is a NAS system???