Porky Pig Meets m43

Aristophanes

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Pentax APS-C DSLRs had the best pancake Prime options with their DA Limited set of 15, 21, 35 macro (not really pancake, but very small), 40 (flat as a....), and 70mm. Their 50 1.8 was also very compact. No sealing, but outstanding designs with integrated lens hoods.

RyanM

Mu-43 Veteran
Not to trot out the E-word, but... Where are the f/2.8 and f/4 primes? The f/2 primes on a smaller sensor....

If this author is pining after a 35mm f/4 prime, I recommend an Olympus 17mm f/1.8! The author's dream list of portable lenses are basically all available for m43.
16mm f/2.8 => Laowa 7.5mm f/2 (not f/1.4, but close)
24mm f/4 => Oly 12mm f/2
35mm f/4 => Oly 17mm f/1.8
50mm f/4 => Oly 25mm f/1.8 or Pan 25mm f/1.7
70-200mm f/5.6 =>Pan 35-100mm f/2.8

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
seemed like a review to me

I tend to buy pancake lenses for my Lumix bodies (aside from the PL 12-60) - why buy m43 if you don't want compactness??

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
- why buy m43 if you don't want compactness??
Because i get to use very high performance cameras and lenses that that are to me super ergonomically sensible and comfortable to use for hours at a time.
I do own a E-PL2 for a super compact option but find it too small to use except for pocket duty.... same sort of thing for the EM10/EM5 .... too small to be comfortable to me.

m43 is many things to many people not just size

seemed like a review to me

I tend to buy pancake lenses for my Lumix bodies (aside from the PL 12-60) - why buy m43 if you don't want compactness??
Most of my M43 lenses are not what this forum would label as small however when compared to their equivalent focal range in larger sensor systems, they are indeed very compact and that is what I love about the system.

My Oly 12-40 pro is a heck of a lot smaller than the size of a FF 24-70 F2.8 and I get extra reach.
Same can be said of my Oly 40-150mm Pro and is still smaller than even a FF 70-200mm F4 and I get much more reach to boot.
All of my primes are microscopic in comparison to their FF counterparts and still a ways smaller than comparable APS-C counterparts. Including the "large" Panasonic Leica 25mm F1.4. Makes me laugh when people on this forum call this a large lens.

Now before we get into a discussion with the equivalence Nazi's, I will say that I understand that an aperture value on m43 like F2.8 for example has the same depth of field as F5.6 on FF however exposure will be the same on both systems with little differences in T-Stop values of each lens. So an 12mm F2.8 on m43 will have the same or very similar shutterspeed and ISO value as a 24mm F2.8 on FF.

Most of my M43 lenses are not what this forum would label as small however when compared to their equivalent focal range in larger sensor systems, they are indeed very compact and that is what I love about the system.

My Oly 12-40 pro is a heck of a lot smaller than the size of a FF 24-70 F2.8 and I get extra reach.
Same can be said of my Oly 40-150mm Pro and is still smaller than even a FF 70-200mm F4 and I get much more reach to boot.
All of my primes are microscopic in comparison to their FF counterparts and still a ways smaller than comparable APS-C counterparts. Including the "large" Panasonic Leica 25mm F1.4. Makes me laugh when people on this forum call this a large lens.

Now before we get into a discussion with the equivalence Nazi's, I will say that I understand that an aperture value on m43 like F2.8 for example has the same depth of field as F5.6 on FF however exposure will be the same on both systems with little differences in T-Stop values of each lens. So an 12mm F2.8 on m43 will have the same or very similar shutterspeed and ISO value as a 24mm F2.8 on FF.
DOF is over rated. Some of the recent super fast lenses for FF seem silly to me. 85mm and 105mm f1.4? That Nikon 50mm f0.95? Do you really need a DOF as thin as the iris of your subject's eye? Yes, blowing out foreground and background can be useful at times, but extremely thin DOF images are way overdone. That's even going to get worse when camera manufacturers bring the cellphone "portrait mode" to their computational photography tricks.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
People make razor-thin DOF, super fast lenses because they can.

The beauty of m43 is the compact size (tho I do have a G9). We need more pancakes...

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom