Popular Photography Magazine $3.99 per year

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ryansinibaldi, May 28, 2012.

1. ryansinibaldi

ryansinibaldi Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Excellent!

Thanks! A friend who's a pro photographer recommended this magazine just last week - just grabbed 3 years. Great deal. :cool:

3. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I subscribed to this magazine in the 70's. Favorite "feature" was the advertising for the camera superstore of the era: 47th Street Photo.

4. Bob

Bob New to Mu-43

Mar 22, 2012
    Thanks too. Just ordered. Only 1 hour left on the promo.

5. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    Thanks, just ordered!

6. house1999

house1999 New to Mu-43

May 12, 2012
    Thanks! Great deal for the magazine. Just ordered too.

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Wow insane deal. I just ordered 3 years for a total of $11.97 shipped. Thanks for letting us know about this!

8. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    Wow! Now I just need time to read it when it gets here.

Thanks for posting this!

9. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Thanks for the tip. I'm getting 3 years for $12...and I had them throw in 2 years of Discover magazine for $8 as well. A TON of reading material for $20......awesome!

10. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Tanga a scam? Only after you place an order does Tanga inform you it could take up to FOUR MONTHS to receive your first issue. Then if you try to cancel your order Tanga provides no WORKING link to cancel.

11. foxtail1

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    The confirmation email has a working cancellation link and an explanation that it will take 12–14 weeks for the first issue, but that it may be sooner.

Why would you think it's a scam?

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It's right there front and center when you click the link in the OP and prior to placing your order: "Please allow 8-14 weeks for your first issue to arrive!"

13. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    That is pretty standard disclaimer stuff. I ordered some discount magazine subscriptions from Amazon before and heard the same thing. One showed up after 3 weeks....another took around 6 weeks. I guess it all depends on how fast they get you entered into a database. I'm sure there's not a team of people frantically entering all that data to make sure your $.50 magazine (or whatever the amortized cost is) gets to you fast enough.

14. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    If you click on the cancel order link in the confirmation email it does not take you to a page where you can cancel your order.

15. foxtail1

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    Mine did. Right at the top of the page, it has a button for Cancel this order.

16. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    The confirmation email has a cancel order link but then it takes you to
    an order summary page with no button to push to cancel:
    orderc.
    orderb.

17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    When I click that link and sign in, there is a button to push to cancel.

18. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I see no button to push to cancel even after signing in. All I can do now is wait 48 hours to see if they respond to my email expressing my wish to cancel.

19. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I see what is going on now. When I got to my Order Summary page, it says "Status: Payment is being processed" with a "Cancel this order" button, whereas yours says "Status: Shipment is being prepared".

It's common for companies to block cancellation once an item enters the shipping process. For example, Amazon won't allow cancellation once an order is at this stage. On the other hand, 14 weeks is a silly amount of time to be in the shipping process. Hopefully they'll handle your request quickly and painlessly.

I don't think any of this makes it a "scam". The statement "Please allow 8-14 weeks for your first issue to arrive!" is prominently displayed in bold font on the offer page before you place an order.

20. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)