1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pope Francis will be in NYC !

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RDM, Sep 22, 2015.

1. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello everyone ,
    Pope Francis arrives in NYC this Friday (Sept 25, 2015).
    My church received a few tickets to the Mass that he will preform at Madison Square Garden and has raffled them off. I won one of those tickets.
    I started to think that I should bring my camera and take some serious photographs.

First I should go back a little and mention, that it's been well over a year since I picked up my GH2 and did any type of photography. I have had a bad couple years in my personal life and have neglected many things that normally gave me great pleasure. I guess when life starts to get to you, one looses passion in the things that use to matter.

Anyway, this event will be good for me in many ways, I think.
    I feel its a great excuse to pick up the camera again as this event should be documented. How often does one get the opportunity to see the Pope after all.

I worry that I may not be equipt right now for this event (mentally & technologically).

SO, I would never say I was an event photographer.
    The majority of my work over the years have never been event photographer really. At least, it was not something I enjoyed doing. I can count on my fingers and 3 toes all the Weddings, birthday parties, graduations and Baby or bridal showers that I was asked to be the photographer.
    Since I started into photography with manual equipment, and I retained all my lenses for use on the ยต4/3 system. I never invested much money into AF lenses least of all telephoto lenses. I have only manual focus telephoto lenses. I believe that will be a problem.

So now I wonder what I should take with me . I think maybe Could bring my mono-pod, but then I remember that someone stole my ball head from it. I have a DZ 12-54mm, but even with Slow AF, 54mm might not be enough. Do I want a bag full gear with me. Maybe I should just rent a pro telephoto lens for the day, if that's even possible at this late time.
    Maybe manual is good enough. If it is then I should just take my 135mm Rokkor, and 75mm c-mount Computar with my 14-45mm kit lens. Or maybe instead of the Computar I can see if I can pick up an adapter for the 50-100mm Pen F mount lens I was given a while back.
    I never Photographed anything at the Garden before. I don't know how the lighting is there.
    DO I bother to bring a flash? Would it even matte for most of the shots at such an event (I'm guessing it wouldn't). It is a Mass after all, and I will be participating in the services. I am just assuming that where will be at least some photographic opportunities.

As I write this I am wondering what, if anything, am I asking for here.
    I guess I want a little advice, but a lot of kind motivational words.

Thank you in advance.

2. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    I"d say just go out there and start shooting (photographing) the pope. See what happens. Where will you be sitting? I'd take the 14-45 and the 135. Make sure to post pictures of the event.

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I'd check the policies about cameras, bags, etc. You may be limited.

I'm not much of a Pope guy, but if I was Catholic and had this opportunity I imagine I'd want to really experience it (as much as possible in MSG) vs worrying about getting good photos. There will be plenty of photos of the Pope. Your experience will be one of a kind.

Sorry to go anti-photography there! :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    He's coming to Philly after NY and they pretty much have the city on lockdown, so like others said, I would check the policy first. I wouldn't think flashes would be allowed, appropriate or useful myself. They are going to have the major bridges & roads closed, schools already closed, no parking , trains closed, no bikes and a long list of banned items. Crazy world we live in. :cautious: Cameras might be allowed, but maybe no long lenses...if you're lucky.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Totally agree with this. Go for the experience. What's the chance of you taking a shot that an official pro photographer wouldn't be able to do better? This new Pope seems to be quite a radical character so listen to what he has to say. Maybe he can make the world a better place? At least he's not as dogmatic and pious as previous holders of the post.

6. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Don't think that because I would be holding a camera that I wouldn't be listening. I mean it would be the equivalent of having binoculars to see be able him during mass, but with the ability to push a button and capture a moment or two, so that years later I have some momentoes of the occasion, which can l share with others. Last night I was watching the mass that he just did, outdoors in Cuba. I did noticed some people with cameras in there hands and around their necks (simple ones) but not as many as I thought there would be.

I see what some of you are saying about the bags. Having the 14 - 140 mm lens right now would be great. I wish I bought one when I had the chance. Then I could just be with a camera with one lens around my neck.

7. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Can't you rent something in NYC?

8. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Security will be extraordinary, even for NYC. I would bring a body and the longest focal length lens you have for the Pope. A wide angle would be good for an overall shot of the arena. Since the Garden is used for televised sports the lighting is good. The stage/podium will probably lit with spots. A flash will be useless.

• Like Like x 1
  9. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    NYC is after Philly. DC is first. I get the feeling that neither NYC or DC is going quite as insane as Philly with the closings and security. Still a good idea to check the list of permitted items for the Garden. Luckily a long lens in the m43 system isn't as conspicuously huge as a long lens for a Canikon.

10. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Well no one ever said that I couldn't.

Where would you advise I do that from?
    I am now thinking that a Pana 14 - 140 mm might be best.
    Possibly a 45 - 200 mm could work too.
    what do you think?

11. RogerD

RogerD Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 29, 2014
    If I were going I would want to capture the feeling of the event not a long shot of the pope. For thousands of people this will be one of the most awaited and significant events of their life. What are the expressions on their faces? Jubilant? Tearful? Beatitude? What groups are there wanting to represent for their people back home? Homemade signs?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I'm one of those people.
    Hmmm. . . There's a thought .

13. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Well, it turns out that you were right.
    I cannot find a place in nyc where I can rent the 14 - 140 mm or 45 - 200 mm lens.
    I did find one place that can get me a 45 - 200 mm lens overnighted an I return it monday. (For $68 total). I got a order it in the next 15mins if I want that.

14. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I just got my ticket packet. It just says cellphones and cameras are allowed, but no video cameras are. And no flash photography or intrusive photography during the Mass. Absolutely no video should be taken.

I found a place to rent the 14 -150mm or the 45-175mm lens. It can be here tomorow if I order it soon.
    So I'm thinking maybe I should rent the 45-175mm lens. And just cary a lens in my pocket.

Any suggestions?

15. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    What should you take with you?

Aspirin. The traffic will give you a headache.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Well I alredy have a headache today. . . lol

But I'm not driving in the City that day.. I'm not insane.
    I plan to take the train. METRO North from Harriman NY, to Secaucus transfer to the Am track train into Manhattan, to Penn Station. Then walk to the Garden.
    My 87yo Mother will be coming with me... my fingers a crossed that all goes well..

In other news. I am getting the 45-175mm from lensrentals.com .

• Like Like x 1
  17. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I have a 45-175, and it's very, very good.

18. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Well, that was quite an experience yesterday.
    Before I start talking about the event and what happened there, I want to talk about that 45-175mm lens which I ordered from lensrental.com, and paid extra to have it sent overnight so that I would have it by Thursday.
    It did not arrive Thursday... it did not arrive Friday before noon ether. So they better give my card a refund when I call them Monday.

I ended up doing what someone here suggested. I just took my camera, with kit lens and my longest legacy lens. Which was a 200mm MC Rokkor.

I will post some photos that I took when I get the chance. I did my best shooting with it Handheld from my seat, so please don't be to harsh if you judge me on them.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  19. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Looking forward to it.
    A manual-focus 200m is just as good as anything else on your GH2 if you are in a seat and the subject is in one place.

20. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Well, After speaking with the super nice and friendly customer service reps at lensrental.com, they understood the situation and agreed to a full refund. What a shame that I didn't get the chance to use that lens Friday, it was really nice.

I would like to post some photos for you all but I am having trouble with my computer, and even tho I shot with Raw+JPG, I am reluctant at posting OOC Jpgs. I prefer to do at least some post processing, but I dono.

Anyway, I brought with me the 14-45 kit lens and two Minolta legacy lenses. The Rokkor 135mm and 200mm. The Lighting was all over the place .. often changing every few minutes. Took me a while to realize that the pope was quite often being super illuminated by a small spotlight. Thus throwing off my metering when it happened.
    I took lots of photos of the "pre Show". Early on I was switching between all lenses then quickly realized the 200mm captured more of what I wanted to see (although not as clearly in all the photographs), but it also acted like a monocular for me for where I was sitting. So once the service started I used the 200mm mostly, and occasionally swapped to the Kit lens for some overall shots.
    I have a lot of Images .. even if Someone were to make me feel better about posting some OOC JPGS I am not sure I would know what to post.