1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Poor quality/resolution previews in ORFs?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dhazeghi, Dec 18, 2013.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I was browsing my E-M5 ORFs in Irfanview (preparing for a trip - need to be able to preview RAW on my old laptop) and realized that the quality of the embedded JPEG previews in the RAW files are pretty poor at 100%. Lots of JPEG compression coupled with downsampling to 3200x2400.

Does anybody know why this is? And how I can get around this (short of shooting RAW + JPEG)?

I'm also wondering if this is why 14X zoom on image review always looks awful. Thanks!

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Dara,

I had similar problems with my E-PL5. It takes forever to read ORF files in Faststone when I want to cull images before importing. And, the embedded images were greatly posterized for a number of sunset shots. I am glad that I did not delete them as the raw files were fine in Lightroom. It must be something in the file structure of the ORF files. I do not have this issue with my RW2 and NEF files.

--Ken

3. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Hi Ken,

I've also noticed that ORFs are slower to process in Lightroom, but I use IrfanView, not Fastone for culling. The speed is fine, but the quality is not. Whatever the problem is, it includes all the ORFs I've tried - from the E-PM1, E-P2, E-PM2, E-M5 and E-M1. Best,

Dara

4. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    my understanding is that when shooting RAW only the embedded jpeg will impact on the camera review, and if any other program uses that file you will obvioulsy be looking at a lesser quality screen image over one that renders one from the RAW - but you get to see it a lot quicker!

those who rely on chimping at high magnification have had to shoot RAW + jpeg on just about all the E camera's

5. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    I've had my EM5 and 12-40 for about 10 days now. I don't seem to have a RAW slow-loading problem in Fastone...
    Also, when I go to full screen preview and zoom into 100%, the ORF file looks just fine.
    Agree that when zooming in to 14x on the LCD doesn't look very good - perhaps this is a result of the lo-res screen?

6. dhazeghi

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Of course, but Canon, Nikon, Sony etc. embed a full-sized standard quality JPEG in the RAW for precisely that reason.

Okay, then that's a real bummer. Aside from the wasted space, it significantly complicates the workflow.

Do a side by side with a camera JPEG of LN or better quality.

But it is a high res screen - 600 or 900k.

• Like Like x 1
  7. rungabic

rungabic New to Mu-43

Dec 19, 2013
    I am absolutely DELIGHTED to have found this thread, and I just finally registered so I could post this reply. Please see the mega-post I started over at dpreview, concerning my issues with the occasional ABOMINATIONS of nature that are the embedded JPEGs in ORF files:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3592286

• Like Like x 1
  8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hmm I remember noticing this when I first got my E-M5 - I didn't think anything of it and just started shooting JPEG+Raw instead...

9. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    I shoot RAW only, Opened an .orf file in Fastone - obviously, it's using the embedded jpg.
    Viewed full screen on my 24" DELL UltraSharp, it looks perfect, even when zoomed into 100%.
    Fastone reports the size as 3200x2400px 7.68mb
    I really can't understand why some owners are having this problem and some not....

10. rungabic

rungabic New to Mu-43

Dec 19, 2013
    Again, see page 6 of this thread:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3592286