Poor light, poor images?

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Rockinggoose, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Rockinggoose

Rockinggoose Mu-43 Regular

Fantastic snowfall overnight with all the trees and bushes laden with white stuff - but no decent light to photograph anything! Must get out and have a go though:

I thought the last one needed a bit more work, so here is an alternative treatment:

I'll erase the wires if you think the image is worth the effort.

E-M5 plus Leica 14-150mm

• Like Like x 11
  2. Papadoc

Papadoc Mu-43 Regular

Jul 12, 2012
    Rule #1: There is always a photo, no matter the "light".
  3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Nice images. I actually like the cool blue tree instead of the B+W. It has a mood to it.
  4. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Ah, David, I didn't recognize the Rockingoose user name but I recognize the pictures! I've got a different user name here, too. I see Djarum echoes my comment on the other forum about the blue tree . :biggrin:
  5. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    #2 is fantastic, love it.
  6. whatisinthebag

whatisinthebag Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    Living somewhere where we only have harsh sunlight 300 days out of the year, and my photo equipment melts if I take it anywhere for long periods of time without climate control I wish I had days of light like this to photograph in. :)

Thanks for sharing!
  7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I love what you saw, especially #2, but, (the big but), on my monitor the images could use a bit of contrast for some "POP".

8. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    I agree... I feel #2 has a bit more potential with some pp

#4 is pretty good, as is :)
  9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Not sure which I like better in the last image - the color or the B&W. Each has it's own feel. :cool:
  10. aragorn1980

aragorn1980 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Athens Greece
    Great piece of work! Congratulations!
  11. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    When I saw the last (2) photos, and the comment, I had to go back and look, because I was thinking "What wires?" Both look good for different reasons, depending on the mood you want to evoke.
  12. justin4192

justin4192 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 27, 2011
    Fairfax, VA, USA
    I like the last one, B&W the best. Nice work. I don't think the lines are that big of deal, didn't really notice them until you mentioned it.
  13. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    #1 and #2 are killer abstracts, but I agree with Gary on upping the contrast.I prefer the b/w and crop on #4.
  14. Photophil

Photophil Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2012
    Atlanta Georgia area
    I think the images are quite nice, but all are slightly underexposed. Try adding some exposure and contrast and I think you'll be pleased.