Pony on a Beach

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
I was asked to do a beach photo shoot in Yyteri (a famous beach in Finland that is ~1.5 hour drive away from here) and I couldn’t say no. The model was a New Forest pony called Carlos and it wasn’t the first time I had photographed him – and most likely not the last time either since my wife is his co-owner.

Once we got to the beach two things came immediately apparent: the sun was shining (almost too) brightly and the winds were so strong I couldn’t even dream of using any equipment to try to control the lighting. Reflectors, softboxes etc. would have flown away in a heartbeat never to be seen again. Not much I could do but shoot in all natural lighting. But I don’t mind – I think I prefer it that way anyway (since I get to focus more on the camera and what is happening instead of thinking about flash settings, where the lights are pointing etc).

My still pretty newish Olympus E-M5III camera was previously tested for shooting fast moving subjects in May when I was photographing Rambo the skateboarding dog but this time the test was lifted to another level: running horses. If my E-M5III could handle that, it could handle anything I need it to.

Since the strong winds were throwing sand everywhere it was good I had opted to mount the Olympus M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8PRO lens on my camera before getting to the beach. I don’t think I could have managed to change the lens without getting sand inside my camera. Even week after the shoot I found sand grains inside my softboxes that never even left my camera bag on the beach. Also, my backup camera had sand inside its dials and it took a couple of days to get it out.

So… E-M5III and the 40-150mm lens were once again the winning combination. That duo has performed well every time I’ve used it and same applies here. The continuous autofocus was amazing and the superb weather sealing on those two kept every single grain of sand out. The image quality was great too even though I had to overexpose some of the photos due to the very, very harsh shadows caused by the superbright sun high up on the sky. In theory that could have been tackled with the use of reflector or a flash but the strong winds prevented using such equipment.

Despite the harsh sun and strong winds I was very happy with the results and the shooting experience. I do hope I will have the opportunity to go back there for another photo shoot before the autumn (read: rain, rain and more rain) comes!

50019188326_e3c10d7119_h.jpg Carlos - EM520768 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

50030538422_645fc4e310_h.jpg Carlos - EM520889 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

50032333303_cdb1002397_h.jpg Carlos - EM520941 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

50064619503_dc93387b6a_h.jpg Carlos - EM521095 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

50072714086_aa4519b85c_h.jpg Carlos - EM521838 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

50077596008_bbe8db5339_h.jpg Carlos - EM521855-painterly by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

50081792543_fbc025f2b1_h.jpg Carlos - EM521908 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

50085347143_fe1ca2c68c_h.jpg Carlos - EM521997 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

50090019667_f29034ac51_h.jpg Carlos - EM522017 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

50093131282_f624796575_h.jpg Carlos - EM522064-painterly by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

50096472241_73fe80185d_h.jpg Carlos - EM522108 by Teemu Paukamainen, on Flickr

A few more photos here on my blog post: https://teemup.net/blog/yyteri-2020-06/

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
A bit of constructive (I hope) criticism if I may? Not sure what your post processing method is but most of the ones with the rider are much too blue, like you were trying to enhance the riders clothes but then everything kind of went blue including shadows and foliage. There is a lack of consistency of the riders outfit color from one photo to the next. I know it must have been tough considering the extreme contrasts going on, so not sure if it could be done any better, but after the first shots of just the horse, I found the overwhelming bluing of everything a bit distracting with the rider shots. Sorry.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A bit of constructive (I hope) criticism if I may? Not sure what your post processing method is but most of the ones with the rider are much too blue, like you were trying to enhance the riders clothes but then everything kind of went blue including shadows and foliage. There is a lack of consistency of the riders outfit color from one photo to the next. I know it must have been tough considering the extreme contrasts going on, so not sure if it could be done any better, but after the first shots of just the horse, I found the overwhelming bluing of everything a bit distracting with the rider shots. Sorry.
Thanks for the comment! And no worries. :) Especially since the original edits were more toned down (read: normal) but I was asked to add more saturation and color to the photos so that's what I did. And I didn't add the color to all photos (at least not equally).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom