1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pondering new M43 plus 2 lenses or good P&S

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by rkhndjr, Feb 2, 2015.

1. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    This may be OT here but this is what I posted on another forum so I thought to get more opinions...I hope. Here is what I said-

I know my questions may aggravate some but most of you are nice, A hypothetical question- would it be smarter to buy a M43 with a couple of good lenses or a real good P&S? If I decide to do something, it will have me in that position. I can afford a reasonable amount, whatever that is, but want a minimum of fuss in way of handling. Many of you know my position physically and I will say that changing lenses is a pita. I can carry the weight but don't care for the fuss. Therefore the real good P&S makes more sense. What are some good tips to consider? If this is a bother just don't fool with it. Thanks for any help

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Honestly, until quite recently I would have said no brainer, body and lenses. But then the really intruiging 1" sensor cameras came around.

I personally like the lens swapping and playing around with primes vs. Zooms, different rendering and so on. I really don't mind the weight and size penalties, and push the ISO to limits sometimes. However, cameras like the Sony Rx100 series (for pocketable), the Rx10 (24-200/2.8 in a pretty nifty package) or Panasonics fZ1000 (24-400! With 4K video) or lX100 for standard range are all pretty compelling. On the prime lens compacts end of the field is also a lot of interesting competition (fuji x100, Ricoh GR, Sony RX1 at the extreme end). Whether any of these cams suits your style really depends on your photographic wants and needs. Some people are happy to live at 35mm and never leave, others want to go from stunning wideangle to super telephoto at a moments notice.

The thing with any ILC, for me, is deciding if the system is for you. Are there lens options that work for what you want to achieve? The bodies come and go, the lenses will stay for longer. If you only want two lenses, there is a good chance you may be better off getting a pair of compacts - eg an X100 series for fast prime shooting, and a 1" sensor cam with the zoom that suits your style best. Most of all remember that photography should be fun. Find the camera that lets you discover the world around you the way you enjoy most, and let's you bring back the images without you having to wrestle it to the ground.

3. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    Very well put, and I appreciate it and understand exactly what you mean. Well, I love taking pictures and that is the prime factor. I can go from WA to macro in a flash and be happy. I am 89 years old and have to consider more than most people when it comes to this matter. But a really good P&S probably is more practical. The cost of even 2 good mft lenses would be a bunch and a new camera also a bunch. All in all I just love the act of taking a picture, and subject matter is almost irrelevant.

4. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    You could also pickup an E-M10 and the panasonic 14-42 ii kit lens. I find the kit lens sharp and useful and it only costs about $120 on ebay. I'd start with that and see how far you get before buying another lens.

5. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    Ha! Interestingly enough I sold my great 14-45 yesterday. I really hated to sell but all I had was a GF-1 which I loved but felt the need to change. Dunno if I could manage Oly menus or not:)) Thanks for the reply.

6. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    Consider an LX100

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    Completely understand where you're coming from. I'm all for "best image quality" and all that, but changing lenses can get into the way... (e.g. when I'm hiking I'm trying to limit myself to a one lens solution too)

There's very interesting options with point and shoots out there today (pretty much the ones mattia mentioned).

Image quality wise they're all fairly good, maybe you could try to narrow the options down with features like viewfinders, fold-out screens, stabilization... In day to day shooting, a good viewfinder or a good stabilization system might make a bigger difference in getting the picture than the sensor for example...

8. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    check up on the panasonic lx100, which has leica zoom lens, metal body, 4k video, and dfd af (from the flagship gh4). i think that camera will last a good number of years. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    I agree. Stabilization is critical for me now and a good VF is a dream I had since I used DSLRs.

10. rkhndjr

rkhndjr Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    Thank you. I am dreaming of the LX100 and may get it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dayam

Dayam Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Singapore
    Dave
    I was in your same situation. I wanted to limit myself with 2 lenses and also considered getting the LX100.

I ended up retaining my E-PL5 and use a 2 prime setup (17mm & 45mm). I actually found myself quite happy with this setup. The LX100 is surely a great camera, but I just love the IQ of the 45mm and thought I won't get this with the LX100.

I'm also using the VF4 on my E-PL5 and just love this viewfinder and don't think the LX100's VF will come close to it. With this setup however, I give up compactness compared to the LX100.

12. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Well, most top level compacts have limited range, e.g. LX100 is 24-75. While I can live with it (I really enjoyed LX3 24-60mm), I still want to be able to use wider or longer lens when I want. It's not much fuss with switching as situations mostly dictate either widest or longest and something close to those, so there is no need to switch to other lens.
    My compact choice is GM1+12-32mm - actually smaller than LX100. But it also has important role to provide shutter speeds shorter than 1/4000 for my f/1.8 lenses.

13. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    since the emergence of digital cameras I've always had a good P&S, then with the Coolpix 950 (one of the early good tilt body designs) I found myself more and more down that path.

When the Nikon Coolpix 5000 came out it was 5Mpix and quite honestly made images that only the well initiated pixel peeper could tell were not made with my 20D

The "Prosumer" section of P&S has made excellent image making tools for some time. You get a tool that amounts to a bundle of lenses and you don't have to flip about with it.

As others have mentioned the 1" cameras are good and to be honest so too is the LX-100

Recently I bought an LX-7 2nd hand for a friend. I did an extensive comparison with it at home to my GF1 and found that it was really not that far removed. Aside that you don't get the King Wang cred of having a big tool in your hand there is a lot to be said for cameras like the LX-7

Details like focus by hyperfocal make it a fantastic camera for the money.

14. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    The VF-4 is great for old eyes, and none of the good compacts have a similar viewfinder, so if that's important get an e-pL7 or e-P5, VF-4 and ... oh dear you just sold your 14-45, so maybe buy one of the motorized zooms like Lumix 12-32 or Olympus 14-42EZ.

15. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    These days a 10 or 12 MP camera are a waste of time and money unless someone gives you the camera. Compared to todays models the LX7 is an old shoe.

16. lomomentum

lomomentum Mu-43 Regular

The LX100 sound ideal for you Sir. If you want a bigger sensor for image quality, I'd go for an Olympus em10 and kit lens plus, maybe, the Lumix Leica 25/1.4 for low light and night.

17. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    I rate both my RX100 and my E-M10 very highly, they are easily the best cameras of their type that I have owned.

The RX100 is completely reliable as a go anywhere taking great pictures camera, it almost never misses a shot. The E-M10 takes a bit more thinking about especially when using the f/1.8, but it's the most enjoyable camera that I've ever owned. It's just so nice to use, it makes you take more pictures and just begs me to take it everywhere I can.

I'd buy both ;)

18. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I find my old shoes quite comfortable ... equally I find the LX7 produces acceptable images. Reality has not moved on so far from the times when people were saying the LX7 made great images.

Of course for someone such as you who produces only covers in 2EV for National Geographic I can see the limitations.

https://www.flickr.com/search/?q=lx7

19. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    Like I said if someone gave me the camera I would say thanks, but I wouldn't buy one compared to the cameras we have available today, unless I could pay much less than $100.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    and what do you see as the key advantages of "cameras we have today"