1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Pondering an IR conversion

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by mattia, Mar 2, 2013.

1. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I'm considering having LifePixel do an infrared MFT conversion - I have a converted Canon 30D, but its a) long in the tooth and b) big, so it doesn't get out that much. I have a GF2, but I'm underwhelmed by the sensor quality. So I'm pondering either a GX1, or one of the two new PENs. The latter have the better sensors, but the touchscreen heavy interface (click to adjust aperture is going to annoy) with minimal dials has me leaning towards the GX1, particularly since IR tends to be a 'good lighting' sort of situation.

Anyone have IR converted cams here? Like them? Thoughts?

• Like Like x 1
  2. guzziknight

guzziknight Mu-43 Veteran

May 18, 2011
    I'm planning on buying either an E-P3 or a G3, and then sending my E-PL2 off to LifePixel to get converted as well. Probably with the Enhanced Filter. This is something I've been wanting to do for a while, I just can't afford it right now.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I've thought about this several times but I'm not sure that I would use it enough to justify the cost.

• Like Like x 1
  4. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Whatever you do it to, use the least expensive body you have (that is relatively reliable). I used my Nikon D5000, and am somewhat happy with that selection. Had I an older body at the time I did it, I would have opted for that.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I have an IR converted G2 and love it. I bought it used for a great price, and the 1st gen sensor doesn't trouble me. Couple samples I've shared before:

8069211355_55640a0374_b.
    1030418 by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

8114972043_967c4124a9_c.
    P1030342 by Amin Sabet, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  6. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Beware of doing it yourself, lol.

I know many have and it's still a good way to go if you're able and I would have sworn I was able... but I toasted an otherwise perfectly good Nikon D200 converting it. I broke a connector on a board and ended up with a non-functioning camera for any purpose.

But, I would still like to have an IR converted camera of some sort someday. And, since I don't learn easily, I'll probably try to do it myself again...

Amin, those are some GREAT images!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Alan_N

Alan_N Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2011
    Yorkshire UK
    Alan
    I have beeen thinking about getting a camera converted as well, as in a previous post is a matter of funds so might have to wait a little bit, if I go down the :43: route it will be my GF1, unless I find a converted body on ebay either that or I might do my Canon G9 I still have.