Poll:What factors influence your camera purchase ?

Petrochemist

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mike
For me the use with my existing equipment is a major factor, but I can't put that down as brand loyalty as it's allowed me to go to µ4/3 buying things that are not part of the Brand I use as a DSLR. Even with the DSLR my lenses are from multiply manufacturers.
Flexibilty & ergonomics are other factors that aren't lisited, but come high on my priorities. Whilst apearance has helped we resist some models that might otherwise have been appealing.

Several of the options I generally ignore completely - I'm not interested in gettingthe camera that gives a salesman the best commission (Canon/Nikon DSLR it would seem). My photographic needs are probably still covered by a camera I brought several years ago, and the lenses I had from 20 years ago. I've bought at least 7 cameras since then, and about 50 lenses. these new purchases have allowed me to try out new types of photography (underwater/photomicroscopy/tilt/shift) or just improved the quality/enjoyment of the photography styles I've been doing for years or just been too cheap to resist :redface:

Portability is a bonus with some systems, but it didn't stop me getting a 5*4 monorail large formatt camera - which can hardly be described as luggable let alone portable.:eek:

Like several others I have no interest in taking video - only one of my decent cameras is actually capable and I've only used it once so far. It might work out to be helpful with astrophotgraphic image stacking so I may end up trying it again - but only as a route to a better still image :biggrin:

rklepper

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Robert
Well my needs have changed so much in the 50+ years I have been into photography. I am using a omd em5, not because I find it the most capable camera, but because it has a nice capabilities to size and weight. When i was younger and my back was stronger I could tote a lot more. Not sure any of your choices truly fit.

blue

Mu-43 Veteran
One not in your list: ergonomics. Handling is the number one thing, and unfortunately for me most cameras fail quite badly on this aspect.

chrisngreg

New to Mu-43
Brand Loyalty

i would have to say brand loyalty, as I still have my first Olympus OM-1 I bought back in 1977 for a whopping $200 (with the 50mm F/1.8 lens),. But I would mnot have stayed with Oly if the cameras and lenses were not competitive, or if I thought Oly could not follw through in the digital age, what they pioneedred in SLR's back in the '70's. So far I have not been disappointed.

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
One not in your list: ergonomics. Handling is the number one thing, and unfortunately for me most cameras fail quite badly on this aspect.

I agree. To me, handling is the first and foremost consideration!

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
You know folks, we missed our big chance. We should have communicated behind Blupinder's back and all picked salesman's advice.:tongue:

speedandstyle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I also listed ergonomics and noted that it was missing from the list. Glad to know it isn't just me on this. Of coarse what works for one person may not for another.

Savas K

Mu-43 Top Veteran
My buying is limited to whatever the camera store has in stock and as advocated by the salesman.

Mercurio

Mu-43 Veteran
My first "real" camera, many years ago, was an Olympus OM-2n that I loved because of its size and weight, then I got an OM-4 and later on an Olympus XA, as a pocket camera. I built a system with many Suiko lenses that I loved because they were sharp, light and small, very suitable for travel without the heavy load that other brands proposed. By the time, I got different accessories such as motor drives, flashes, filters and so on.

Unfortunately, I had all my eggs in one basket - my camera bag - that was stolen many years ago, with exception of the XA, flashes and an OM-1 that I got later on. After my sadness, I decided to give a try to digital equipment as it was the new trend. I got a Minolta DiMage 7Hi and later on I bought a Nikon D70, that I still have. Nevertheless it´s a very good camera, I wasn´t happy with the size of the body and lenses, so I didn´t used as often as I used to go with my film cameras: I was nostalgic of my old light and small Olympus SLR´s cameras.

When I saw the Olympus OM-D, it was love on first sight: the retro styling was a flash back to my old cameras, so I did an extensive online seach and reading, just to make sure that it was the right step to follow in terms of IQ, availability of lenses, etc. After I got the camera, I had an intensive GAS syndrome that I had to learn how to control...:smile:

I don't know if this is "brand loyalty" or "brand nostalgia", but here I am, with two Olympus :43: camera bodies (OM-D and EPM1) and different lenses that I enjoy as I used to do when I was an OM film user. :thumbup:

ArchSaturn

Mu-43 Rookie
Size was my primary concern. I was in the local camera store looking at a Nikon 70-300, (had a D90 with the 18-105), and started thinking about weight as I do at least one backpacking trip each year. I'd probably be willing to lug both lenses around on a day hike, but not for multiple days with a full pack. Nevertheless I spent the next 8 months debating without purchasing. I decided on M43 pretty quick, but none of the available camera's did the trick for me. I wasn't willing to compromise, had to have built in viewfinder and twin dials. Almost bought a GH2 a couple times, but just wasn't sold on the aesthetics. Ordered the EM-5 and haven't looked back.

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
size and quailyt, but also design was the final thing, when I first saw OM-D I kinda falled in love but I couldn't justify the buy then. But when my interest grew again they had dropped in price a little and the buy was clear :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom