1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Poll: Tilt-Only vs. Fully Articulated LCD Screen

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by drd1135, Aug 24, 2015.

1. I prefer a tilt-only screen but it's not a deal breaker.

39 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. I prefer a fully articulated screen but it's not a deal breaker.

41 vote(s)
    38.3%
  3. I want a fully articulated screen and won't buy a body with a tilt-only screen.

9 vote(s)
    8.4%
  4. I want a tilt-only screen and won't buy a body with a fully articulated screen.

18 vote(s)
    16.8%
  1. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Just curious. If you prefer EVF still vote on your LCD screen preference.

2. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I prefer and shoot with an EVF/OVF at least 95% of the time. The times that I do use the LCD monitor, I prefer a tilt only screen due to my shooting style but it's not a deal breaker as evidenced by me buying the E-M5 Mk.II. Even a non-tilting, non-articulating fixed screen isn't a deal breaker either since I shoot almost always using an EVF/OVF.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Because sometimes I do low level portraits (and other stuff), the difference between having or not having full articulated screen represents having to lay down on the ground or not...
    I prefer not having to lay down and keep my shirt clean, so full articulated screen for me :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

After having owned a 60D and GX7, I strongly prefer the tilt only. Swivel out screen makes for odd ergonomics, a more involved open/close process and doubles the width of the camera in use. Tilt only allows for more friendly waist-level shooting, too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. jello212

jello212 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    I imagine a lot of it has to do with what you're used to. I had the Panasonic G1 for 7 or 8 years and it had the fully articulated screen. I'm still adjusting to the tilt screen of the OM10. The articulated screen was great for overhead shots in portrait orientation. Can't do that with a tilt screen.

But the biggest thing I miss about the articulated screen is the ability to just turn the screen towards the body. I don't use the screen that often and I would prefer to have it against the body where it can't get damaged.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    Tilt-only is fine for video, but is very limited for stills. For me, it's fully articulated only. I need it for verticals as well has horizontal images.

7. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    Having owned both (E5 and EM1), I prefer the articulating screen.

8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Oddly, I've heard exactly the opposite, i.e., video folks want the fully articulated screen. The internet is an inconstant mistress. :p

9. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    +1

10. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    I do mainly landscape and composing verticals when you have your camera very low for perspective can be quite annoying. Have a GX7 though, so no dealbreaker.

11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would think the only benefit to video for fully articulated would be if you want to do video selfies. Otherwise, your camera is going to be landscape all the time and tilt seems more convenient. Maybe it is just because the tilt/swivel screens started out as kind of the default camcorder LCD and video peeps are used to that?

12. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    Fully articulated, its more flexible and can be turned around when not required. I hate seeing grubby nose marks over my EM10's screen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Agree. I'm mainly an EVF user and tilt-only is enough for me. I wouldn't want the extra bulk and weight of a fully articulated screen, because the tilt-only suffices for low-angle and high-angle shots.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    I wouldn't say there is any difference bulk or weight, just a difference in how they are attached.

15. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    I'm sure what you heard isn't exactly the "opposite", but instead a preference for full articulation.

Tilt only is fine for video, but not necessarily the best. A fully articulated screen will not only work for vertical stills, but can place a horizontal display beside the body which can work better for video than one behind the body when the camera is on a shoulder mounted bracket. Also, having the display beside the body is often a more comfortable position when the camera is on a tripod a it allows the operator to stand somewhat beside the tripod rather than straddling a leg.

16. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I really like being able to turn the screen in when not in use and when I put the camera in a bag. It's just part of my routine now to turn the screen back out if I will be using the screen to shoot with, which I do pretty often. I can see the advantages of a tilt screen at times, but to me the advantages of the articulated screen are greater.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    The tilt screen deploys faster. I use it for shooting over people, fences or other obstructions. Tilt, raise the camera over my head and shoot what I see on the LCD. Then it's back down and push the screen flat so I can move or continue to take photos through the EVF. The same kind of speed and convenience for shooting low - push/pull the LCD to act like an old TLR and save my knees a bit.
    I understand why some users like the fully articulated screen, and more power to them. I find it too fraught with opportunities for damage in rushed circumstances and too slow to deploy and store.
    Olympus should make it an option on the E-M1 Mk.II. Order with one or the other specifically and pay a couple hundred $$ to change it to the other if your needs change. Maybe make it a user bolt-in module, sort of like the different pentaprisms, screens et al on the old professional film SLRs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I had a couple of point and shoots 9-10 years ago with articulated screens and I loved them. I was mystified when I upgraded to a DSLR and found that I could not get that same screen and that the majority of folks (on POTN at least) were very much anti-flip screen. I was further mystified by my first tilt screen (a Sony superzoom iirc), but I quickly grew to prefer it to articulated. That preference has held up over the years, but I am still happy to shoot with an articulated screen, especially for video.

The real question is "How many folks want articulated or 180 flip screen for selfies?". :)

19. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I just realized I might be willing to drop weathersealing from my camera but not flip screen. I'm 100% sure I won't buy E-M5II because of the articulating screen but I'm only 90% sure I won't buy E-M10II - and the only thing(s) keeping me from buying it is the missing weathersealing and HiRes (really wanted to use it for macros). Then again, I'm not convinced I'd get any improvement in my IQ by "upgrading" to E-M10II so why am I even considering buying it? I dunno... GAS?

20. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    The EVF makes the screen unnecessary for most of my shots so I can probably live with either; however, I have found the tilt-only of my E-M5 so limited compared to the fully articulated screens of my 4/3 cameras that it's become something of an annoyance. You can just do so much more with the articulated screen. And being able to flip it around when not in use gives me a sense of happy protectiveness.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1