1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

POLL: Silver EM5 II - how is the silver paint holding up?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Tapper, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Still looks like new! Love it! Will probably look good for years to come.

16 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. A little scratched or chipped, but it's because of something I did wrong.

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Seems to be easily scratched or chipped. Probably won't look good for long.

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  1. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    I have the black EM5 II. It's very good looking, but I still often admire the silver one. Considering maybe getting silver in the future when the inevitable EM1 II comes out. One reason I chose black was reports I read of silver painted cameras getting easily scratched or peeling.

So, for those who own the silver EM5 II for a few months now, how is the paint holding up? Still look like new, or getting easily scratched?

PLEASE only vote if you've owned the camera for at least a month or two.

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've had my E-M5II since June. The paint is scratching where the On/Off switch is located. If you put pressure on top of the switch while turning it ON or Off, it will scratch the paint. Probably not so noticeable with a black camera, but definitely noticeable with silver.

3. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    Let me check.I just keep it in a bag with other equipment. I have had it since they came out. The silver finish is built in ,not painted.there is a tiny scratch on the base plate. The top of the camera where most of the silver is ,is well shielded. The only vulnerable part is the metallic hood covering the built in view finder in the front. There are bilateral sharp edges showing a few inconspicuous nicks. I am always banging the camera on something when I am climbing,wearing the neck strap. I took it to many rough places. If you do this and are concerned with kicks keep it in a case. It is holding up well in my opinion.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I've also noticed this on my black EM-5 MK II when I've start using it.
    It was not a deep scratch and I've rubber a bit the plate around the button with my finger and it looks like new again.
    I think it happened only when the camera was brand new.
    Now I don't see that the ON-OFF button is scratching the plate anymore.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  5. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Mine still looks great and I have had for a while. It gets used everyday.

6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I only see a very small scuff on the bottom of mine, but no more than any other of my cameras.

7. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    OK, I looked at mine and I have a nick on the angled piece by the grip. I suppose I will have more patina as time goes on. Still, it is a durable finish, I would not worry about it.

8. ice29

ice29 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 10, 2012
    Europe
    attached pics (source is iphone so sorry for the quality) of the baseplate on my E-M5II (approx. 3 months old, not used very often, definitely nothing rough...)... not happy at all, but whatever, I plan to keep it longer and it won't be worth anything anyway then ... I had only black bodies before (E-M10, GX7) and I haven't seen spots like that on them, but maybe it's just a coincidence

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Definitely I will never pick up a silver body.
    If only they make them in an aluminium body or something, instead of painted plastic...

10. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    It's called "patina" and gives the camera character! :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I honestly wanted black cameras, but every time I was going to buy a body only silver was available!

12. Mmsean

Mmsean Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Sean
    Mine is 2 weeks old and I noticed that the on/off switch has slightly scratched the paint. Irritating, they should have put on a sturdier switch that doesn't flex. I'm OCD about my camera and baby it.

13. Drdave944

Feb 2, 2012
    Your's looks like it has been in a barroom brawl. Mine does have some chips on the edge of the base but the only reason I look at it is to change the batteries.

14. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
    Back in the old days when cameras were made of metal and had brass top and bottom plates, the brass showing through the black or silver paint was considered to be the badge of a camera well-used by a pro or serious amateur photographer. Even a few small dings were to be expected. The ones without "patina" were the ones that were hardly used, in other words, by rank amateurs. I see a little wear on some corners of my EM5 and EM1, but I consider that to be normal. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    For some reason the only cameras that appeal to my eyes in silver are the Fuji X100 series and the Olympus OMD EM5 Mk II. Everything else I like in black.

16. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    besides the paint issues, i heard some user has trouble on the LCD. Is it true?

17. gryphon1911

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I've only ever heard that on the Mk 1 version on the EM5.

18. JohnS

JohnS New to Mu-43

Sep 9, 2015
    Vancouver, Canada
    John Sanders
    Here's my EM5 II after three weeks. Olympus politely refuses warranty because I 'must have done something to it'. My 5 year old Nikon D700 and two year old Fujifilm X100s are pretty scratch-free even after a great deal of use. I've treated the Oly with reverence, and I can't imagine what would have done this during my brief use.

I wonder if it was marred as delivered - I bought it from the Olympus online store. The paint peel isn't very visible when viewed head on, and I mounted a lens immediately. I change lenses with the body facing down, so I could have missed it from the outset. It works just fine, of course, so it's resale value that will take the hit. Solution: don't sell it :)

Attached Files:

19. Drdave944

Feb 2, 2012
    That is pretty bad. I wonder if there are batches of cameras which are not being painted properly. I have a lot of very small inconspicuous dings which I deserve.Nothing like this.

20. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I like the silver bodies, but I do agree that aluminum instead of paint would be nice. It's surprising they don't make a run of these and sell them at high prices. As for my current silver cameras, I'll have to check for paint damage. I never notice stuff like that.