1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

POLL Question: Are you Experienced?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Alanroseman, May 12, 2011.

1. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    If you'r old enough to remember, I'll apologize to Jimi Hendrix right now for the title.

Here's a poll question for you folks to ponder, I do love a good Poll now and again. It's helpful in understanding what the membership likes and enjoys.

So... off we go then.

PS. No one will be able to see where you voted in the poll... even the mods. So be as honest as you can. AND you can select more than one.

2. DownUnderDog

DownUnderDog Mu-43 Regular

Very Experienced

Just retiring after a career of over 40 years as a full time photographer - so I voted for "very experienced"
    Cheers
    DUD

• Like Like x 2
  3. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Thanks for the comment, it keeps the poll active and available.

I just edited question number 8. I't should have allowed that one enjoys the gear, tech and photography equally well.

Alan

4. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hey Allan, what do you reckon I should vote for.

5. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Brady,

Well, "colorful Aussie" isn't a selection... so, you'll have to improvise eh?:smile:

6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I consider myself average. 6 years at dabbling in the hobby

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    You can choose more than one option. I know I did.

8. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Weekend Bump

:bump:

9. I'm experienced enough to know that I'm not experienced enough.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I'm both real new and fairly experienced. I was really into film photography from my teens into my early/mid 20s. Played in darkrooms, did all of that stuff. This ended in the mid-80s when I got married, started a career, and had kids. I'd say I did my last real work in '82 though. My SLR (there was no "D" in dose days) sat on the shelf because I couldn't carry it AND my kids. So I pretty much put it aside for 25+ years. I always had a P&S around (first film, eventually digital) and never completely lost my eye, but didn't think of myself as a photographer as much as someone who took pictures with a slightly better eye for composition than most snap-shooters.

A year ago I got back into it. Had a big trip coming up, thought a nicer camera wouldn't be a BAD idea, bought an EPL-1, and within a month or so I was TOTALLY hooked. Had discovered raw, Aperture 3, and digital processing and realized I could do things in five minutes I couldn't even imagine when I'd been into it before. Re-discovered my long lost love - B&W. Now I'm a total photography crack-head. I'm having more fun with it than I EVER did as a kid. Even discovered and started doing street photography which is like an entirely different exercise than anything else I've ever done. Its a new lease on this part of life. Too much fun.

I love the gear too, but not the biggest and best-est - just the stuff that works for how I like to shoot. Have a couple of m43 cams, an LX-5, a Nex, and now an X100. I love it all. I have zero brand loyalty and am a horrible fanboy.

-Ray

• Like Like x 2
  11. eyeguy

eyeguy Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    I'm brand new'ish. My experience with photog consists of the three weeks I had of film photography class during my undergrad, after which I dropped out!

12. Eon

Eon Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2011
    I bought my first serious camera in februari this year. So I voted new, unsurprisingly

13. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    This was really the missing item in the list. I'm with you. The only sentence I recognized myself in is "I enjoy the photography more than the gear and tech".

Cheers,

14. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    What, you want a story here??? My story ... I first touched a SLR in the 5th grade, my Uncle's Mamiya Sekor. My cousin and I would walk around my small agrian hometown and snap away. We would develop and print in the bathroom slapping foil in the windows and towels over light leaks. I decided than and there I wanted to be a photo journalist.

In junior high (middle school) I shot as a stringer for the local papers, riding my bike to games and passing the film off to the reporter or getting Dad to drive me to the newspaper. In high school I shot for a wire service, I paid my way through college shooting and writing news. After college I was picked up by a major market newspaper. When I hit 30+, I decided that I wanted a 'real' job, making 'real' money with a 'real' life and got out of the biz.

Hung up my cameras, (except for the family album stuff), for nearly 15 years ... then in 2005 I purchased a 20D. Just holding the camera brought back an upwelling of emotion and memories I hadn't felt in a decade. The lack of shutter lag, the 5FPS, the interchangeable lenses ... all of it ... brought back my passion for photography and I haven't looked back.

Gary

• Like Like x 2
  15. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I did product photography for a few years but that doesn't mean I have any particular talent. :eek: Let's just stick with enthusiast.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Nic,

Exactly. I like to say... "you have to be smart enough to know what you don't know". It's the first step.

PS. I like that this has become a bio thread... it's a cool morph..

• Like Like x 1
  17. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    30 years as a full time photographer running my own studio. Started in high school about 1973. Film shooter up until about 5 years ago. Still shoot film, just not as much. Slowing down, working at Home Depot part time and loving photography more than I ever have. Also run a video camera for the local junior hockey team. Video is something I have never done and loving it also. I think I am experienced. At what I am not sure of.....

Randy

• Like Like x 2
  18. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    I think 30 years running a studio would put you in the very experienced category.......:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

We're showing our age!

My uncle introduced me to photography at age 7. Problem was, the Speed Grafix 4x5 I learned on was too large and too heavy to hold! My 1st 35mm was a Kodak Retina, and 1st SLR was a Mamiya DTL500. Photography has been a part of my life since. How I wish my uncle were still alive to see how far we've come! A great poll!

• Like Like x 2
  20. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Uncles are great ....

G

• Like Like x 1