POLL: Panasonic 7-14 or Olympus 9-18 Wide Angle for architectural indoor and 360 degree photos ?

Panasonic 7-14 or Olympus 9-18

• Total voters

dlhomesolutions

Mu-43 Veteran
Looking to get a nice wide angle lens. I have the robinson fisheye. I tried the Olympus 7-14 pro but I felt it was overpriced for what it delivered. Looking at these two options now.

Cast your votes!

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
If you're indoor on a tripod f/4 isn't a problem - the Panasonic is optically not far behind the Olympus Pro it seems.

For 360 though, a good fisheye is preferable - rectilinear UWA isn't of much use as you're going to be distorting everything anyway.

scotttnz

Mu-43 Veteran
Two more options:
4) Wait for the reviews of the PL8-18
5) I'm a real cheapskate, wait for the 8-18, then get a P7-14 cheap from someone who is upgrading

Personally I plan to do 5. I want an UWA, but don't think it would get enough use to justify the new price of either of the 7-14s, or the likely price of the 8-18, and the 9-18 isn't wide enough for my taste. I'm already seeing more 7-14 come up second hand than usual, but I'm happy to wait a bit longer as I think second hand values will drop when the new lens is available.

barry

Super Moderator
Hi, does your architectural photography include normal-sized residences, and is this for real-estate work?
7mm isn't really wide enough for a 10x12' bedroom, let alone most bathrooms... You might need a fisheye too.

D

Deleted member 20897

Of the 2 options, the 9-18 is probably the cheapest when going used. I found it fine...but I admit up front that I do not do a lot of architecture photography.

dlhomesolutions

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi, does your architectural photography include normal-sized residences, and is this for real-estate work?
7mm isn't really wide enough for a 10x12' bedroom, let alone most bathrooms... You might need a fisheye too.
I won't give up the fisheye that I have. It does include residential. But agents do not want a distorted view of a room.

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint
How about the head on a yacht? Quite a bit smaller than your typical bathroom. 7mm worked well.
Olympus%207mm%20PB090705_327.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

BigTam

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ron
For those times when 9mm isn't wide enough, take 2 (or 3) portrait shots and stitch them. Indoors, you're probably on a tripod anyway, so aperture isn't a problem. You don't want razor-thin DOF anyway, do you?
The 9-18 has the advantage that it's size is more m43 than FF .

davidzvi

Real Name
David
For those times when 9mm isn't wide enough, take 2 (or 3) portrait shots and stitch them. Indoors, you're probably on a tripod anyway, so aperture isn't a problem. You don't want razor-thin DOF anyway, do you?
The 9-18 has the advantage that it's size is more m43 than FF .
Considering this myself. I have the GX85 and 12-32 so with Dual IS I'm seriously considering.

deacon

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Deacon
I voted 7-14. A little bit different use case: I'm an architect and builder, and many of my shots are for documentation. They're for my use and the intent to get as much in frame at once as possible. Used the Rok 7.5 for a long time for this purpose, but defishing wasn't perfect for my workflow.

I'm going to pick up a Ricoh Theta S soon, that should be fun.

BigTam

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Ron
RHP_2015_10_16_Mantua_Pano_00.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Palazzo Ducale in Mantua.
Can't remember whether this was with the 12-32 or the P14-140, and I'm not at my PC, so can't check. But ICE did an OK job, I think. I'm not a pixelpeeper .

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I used my P12-32 and took a panaramic, I have bought the P7-14. This is good, no messing about now. Landscapes, exteriors and interiors. Great for ceilings of churches and town halls and theatres. Small, like my Lumix GX80.

NCV

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Nigel
I use everything from the 7-14 to my 100-300 for architecture, depending on the effect I want.

7mm can be a bit too wide at times as it has just that little to much perspective exaggeration.

dlhomesolutions

Mu-43 Veteran
So me and a friend built an L bracket for the Samyang Fisheye for about 8 dollars worth of parts from the hardware store. Was able to get the Nodal point spot on. Mounted the Fisheye in portrait mode and stitched the pics together using Hugin for free.

I took this shot immediately after building that is why it is in this Garage.

Check it out at the link below. The blue one that says March 22 at 9:55pm

March 22 at 9:55pm

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
I used my P12-32 and took a panaramic, I have bought the P7-14. This is good, no messing about now. Landscapes, exteriors and interiors. Great for ceilings of churches and town halls and theatres. Small, like my Lumix GX80.
Maybe it's just me, but I find interior panoramas very difficult (as opposed to landscape panoramas, which are pretty easy). I guess it's because I haven't been finding the nodal point, but isn't this kind of hard? (in my experience, you don't need to bother with this for most landscape photos).

Latest threads

Top Bottom