Poll on composing

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Herman, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I'm taking pictures with a G1 and I'm an EVF fan.

2. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    It depends on the camera. Neither my compact nor my ยต4/3 has an EVF, therefore I have no other choice than using the screen. I like to compose like that, but in bright sunlight I'd prefer either an EVF or an OVF. When I take photographs with my DSLR, which I have done extremely seldom during the last months, I compose with the OVF exclusively.

3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Herman,
    First off. I'm proud you figured this out. Thanks for your continuous positive energy on the forum.

I prefer the screen. Here's why.
    Photographs are 2 dimensional.
    Viewing on the screen lends to the abstraction of the 3rd dimension. You are viewing your image upon capture.
    The other good thing is that the screen allows you to see the elements outside the frame.
    Shooter

• Like Like x 2
  4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

You forgot to include "both" or "all".:biggrin:

Pictor and Don have already posted good points. I like Don's observation about the LCD eliminating the 3 dimensional element and the wider picture - I just wish I had better closeup vision. With my E-PL1, I almost exclusively use the EVF, although if I am inside I have used the LCD. With another camera I have I tend to use the LCD initially but then look through the optical viewfinder....I'm working on that one.

5. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member Subscribing Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    EVF. Which ever is available to me. I wish I had the G2 EVF on my GF1, but I'll take what I can get. Two things: it keeps me focused and it helps keep my shots steady. A bonus on the GF1 is it saves on battery life =)

Sometimes using the LCD is nice though, I can evaluate the entire scene *outside* the FOV and play. But that's rare for me, not a preference.

On a DSLR, OVF all the way, it just doesn't feel natural any other way (except when doing stationary macro work, which is almost never, heh)

6. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    LCD, because that's all I currently have after selling my Canon SLR. :)

7. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Depends on the camera. On my SLR, I use the OVF. On my TLR/View cameras I use the focusing screen. On my digital, I use the EVF. On my iPhone I use the LCD. Different tools for different purposes.

8. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Dragos,
    You don't have the EVF for the iPhone....
    Tsk...tsk

9. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    I like looking through a viewfinder, be it, a Rangefinder VF, or a DSLR VF, of the EVF of the G1. I do a lot of outside shooting, and looking through a VF is always better with a lot less glare.

10. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Call me old-fashioned :tongue:

11. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Exactly - when there's more than one option, I tend to use them depending on circumstances. On my ep2 (and on the epl1 before that) I tend to use the LCD when possible, which is mostly. But when the sun is just too bright to really see the LCD or sometimes when I'm shooting with a long lens and need that extra little bit of stability, I shoot with the evf. They both work and are both "best" under the right circumstances.

No either/or here. Both.

-Ray