POLL: Most Comfortable Micro Four Thirds Grip

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by RobR, Nov 4, 2013.

1. RobR

RobR Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Connecticut, USA
    Robert Reinhardt
    Hi Everyone!

I am designing a camera and I would like your feedback on which :43: camera you think has the best grip. I'm not judging anything else about the camera, just how the grip feels.
  2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I'm not sure this is terribly useful, since I'm sure very few, if any, have handled all of these cameras. But I find the GH3 to be among the most comfortable cameras to hold of ANY camera I've used, not just any m43.

Among the cameras listed, I've used, or at least played with, all the G and GH series Panasonic bodies, a couple of GF bodies, the EM-5, and the EPL3 and EP3.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Don't think this is going to be a useful poll. As already mentioned, not that many people have had access to all the cameras listed. Best way is to have all the cameras available and have random people come try them all.
  4. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    GH3 has very good ergo's so gets my vote.

5. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Also, a lot of these cameras intentionally don't have a grip to make them smaller, but there are add-on grips for those who want more grip. The EM-5 is a good example, coming with very little grip out of the box, but turning into a "double gripper" with the HLD-6.
  6. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    GX7 grip is the best -- perfect width, depth, and shape (for my hand). It sure makes the camera look ugly though.
  7. chipshot713

chipshot713 Mu-43 All-Pro

May 24, 2012
    Pearland, Texas
    Have 6 Lumix bodies and the GH3 is by far the most comfortable
  8. deang001

deang001 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2013
    Hong Kong
    GH3 for sure ... from the cameras I have held anyway.
  9. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    If you are talking about just the grip and not other ergonomic considerations, my vote goes to the E-M1. The shape of the grip fits my hand perfectly, and the texture is great! I could dangle the camera with the 50-200 SWD on it with just a wrist strap and fingers grabbing loosely on the grip for a long while and not tired out by the weight...

If you are talking about overall ergonomics, the GH3 will have the edge...
  10. RobR

RobR Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Connecticut, USA
    Robert Reinhardt
    The main reason for this wasn't to narrow it down to a particular camera, just a camera type/grip. It appears people prefer larger grips that resemble DSLRs. I am therefore planning on designing the camera with a medium sized grip sort of like the OMD EM-5, and then design an auxiliary grip that will offer a more secure hold. This will probably be mounted with a screw, like the E-P3 was. Thanks for all of the feedback everyone! If you are not aware yet, this is part of my HS Senior Independent Study, detailed here: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=53519
  11. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    The GH3 was made for my hand. I actually suspect they broke into my house one night and took a mold of my right paw.
  12. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I voted for the old cheapo e-pL1, that grip hangs off the fingers like a champion : but it is damn ugly!