POLL. M43 high iso noise for b&w.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by KVG, Aug 11, 2012.

1. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I know people say m43 noise is very digital compared to ff noise, but what do you think of m43 high iso noise for b&w?

iso 3200

iso 1250
  2. Uwharrie

Uwharrie Mu-43 Veteran

May 10, 2012
    North Carolina
    Lynne Ezzell
    You need an acceptable option
    • Like Like x 1
  3. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    agreed, but I don't know how to edit the poll. Mods can you help a brother out?
  4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    All set.

Incidentally, there still isn't an option that suits me. I think all Bayer sensor noise pretty much looks the same if you shoot RAW. The character (quality) of shot noise from a 1st gen MFT camera looks no different than the noise from a current 35mm format digital camera to me. The difference is in the ISO value at which it occurs.

The idea that certain cameras have more "grain like" noise has no basis in reality to anyone who shoots RAW. If anyone disagrees, please post crops processed from RAW without noise removal.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    I've never heard anyone say that.

What the residual noise looks like varies depending on how the image is converted. In camera, Panny or Oly look different. Software raw converters all produce a different look to the noise. I don't think it's possible to make a blanket statement that the the noise looks good or doesn't look good across all u4/3 cameras with all conversion options.

My own experience is with a Panasonic G2. The noise produced by the in camera jpeg conversion doesn't look so good. The noise from raw converted in Aperture looks good, kind of film-like. With my older 4/3 Olympus E600, the in camera jpeg and Aperture produced pretty similar looking noise.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Why do you think a subjective poll on a subjective image quality is anymore valuable than simply showing people have differing opinions? What do YOU think?
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I prefer adding grain in Lightroom or Silver efex, it just looks better to me.
  8. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Here's a shot, taken in very, very dim light at iso 3200 with the E-M5 and a 90mm Leitz Elmar form 1946. I don't find the B&W noise objectionable on m4/3. Chroma noise in color shots is much more objectionable to me.