Poll: Is MFT your only camera/system and how much do you use it?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by TwoWheels, Mar 27, 2015.

1. MFT is my only camera and I use it exclusively

2. I have other camera(s) but use MFT for > 50% of my photography

3. I have other camera(s) and use MFT for < 50% of my photography

4. I don't use my MFT camera much or don't have one

1. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    I have a GM1 and a Canon 7D. I find myself using my GM1 more and more because of its size and weight. I take it along when I'm doing other things or traveling. I tend to take my 7D if I'm going on an outing that's focused specifically on photography or for sports/birds.

I'm just curious how many of you are exclusively MFT and, of those that aren't, how much you use other cameras. What determines when you use one and when you use the other?
  2. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    i've been using mft exclusively since upgrading from point & shoot 3 years ago. i was really considering an apsc dslr and an nex 7 but came across a good deal on an e-m5 kit.

now, the e-m5 is still my main camera and so far still working flawlessly after going thru quite a number of lenses to pair it with. and recently acquired a gm5 to have a small setup.
  3. macro

macro Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2012
    Equally NEX-7 and E-M10
  4. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    I am a 2 camera guy most of the time when specifically going picture taking, for example on vacation.I have a Canon SLR and use it only for telephoto. I use M43 cameras for all other purposes. I do have the Olympus telephoto lenses. They work to supplement the Canon lens. Due to slow picture taking ability,the Oly cameras best for stationary subjects, but can work for flying and insects or birds when they first take off. On the other hand the Oly cameras work better for precisely focused manual photographs.
  5. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    I own only one camera but still have the Nikon. I use both pretty equally.

The GX7 comes with me everywhere I go unless I decide to take the Nikon which is only really for sunsets or landscape stuff.
  6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I sold my Canon system after only 2 weeks of getting the GX7 I was so confident that it could easily meet or beat what Canon gave me. However, I answered that I have other cameras because I do use my phone frequently and a small Canon Elph occasionally.
  7. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    .... I have multiple Nikons, OM, and Leicas .... at least two copies of every Olympus m43 lens and six Olympus m43 bodies, the Olympus m43 gets used about 95% of the time ...
  8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I use my E-M5 most of the time, and use the GM1 the rest (annoyingly it's been away for servicing for more than a month now).
  9. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    I use my EM1 almost exclusively. I also have an EM5 which was my first MFT after I decided to switch away from my Canon 7D system. The difference in weight and size was amazing. And, I really enjoyed shooting with it. As an indication of that, I shot more photos with the EM5 in three months than I did with the 7D in one year. I love my MFTs!

I sold the 7D, lenses, flash, etc. within a few months after getting the EM5. The IQ of the EM5 was more than satisfactory. I recently purchased an Olympus TG-850 to supplement the OMDs on occasion.
  10. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    It's my only camera/ system, I do have a Canon G9 and S95 around the house which I haven't used for years, so they don't count. I do look at other APSC fixed compacts and other systems but the Oly 75 ensures I'm always going to be with m43m
  11. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    mFT is my CSC system of choice - the E-M10 with the 12-40mm (and grip) is the camera I take with me most often overall. It's a match made in heaven for me - and furthermore, the whole system offers great performance and versatility, too. Its size-quality ratio is extremely compelling.

I own and use other cameras, though, and sometimes, I like to go even smaller and take the LX100 - or, if that's still too big, the GR (of which I think as my best moderate wide solution anyway).

For some uses - mostly people and portraiture, but also flash photography and use in consistently low light - I still prefer my Nikon gear, though. It's not because mFT does a bad job there - but the results are different enough in look, feel and quality that I like them better when they come from a full frame DSLR - especially if they're going to be printed or "mined" (i.e. used to extract crops - sometimes multiple ones; that's not something I do myself, but others use my images for that occasionally). I recently graduated to the D750 for that reason.

Yes, I know that I'm very lucky to be able to support all those systems. If I had to choose, though, I would go mFT all the way.

12. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    m4/3rds for 95%, also use 4/3rds and a Fuji body with manual lens.
  13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    My sig has my cams, with use equally split.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  14. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    I have many cameras, though all a little bit older.
    Of those that get used (only the digital ones in recent years) micro four thirds has now become my main camera system, with the DSLRs only coming out for odd events (mainly motorsports). I did use m digital microscope yesterday for work - but like the waterproof compact it doesn't normally get used much.
    My usual camera bag has 2 µ4/3 cameras a G5 and full spectrum converted GF2. I now shoot quite a bit of infra red and it's by far my best option for that. With it's usual array of lenses it's still lighter than my DSLR bag which just has the one body. If I'm not careful I'll end up getting enough µ4/3 kit to close the weight difference soon. I know there's likely to be some temptation on the Olympus photowalk this afternoon...
  15. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    After shooting M43 for a while I found my DSLRs we left at home 99% of the time, so I sold the bigger bodies and kept one small DSLR body which I've never actually picked up to use since then. The DSLR lenses are also sat in the bag unused.

The M43 'system' is just so much easier to grab and carry around. I don't find the shots from the DSLR any more satisfying than the ones from the M43, so why bother with the extra weight? My clients haven't mentioned any concerns either.

The one thing that may make me different from you is that I don't shoot birds or sports.
  16. pinoyborian

pinoyborian Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 3, 2012
    Peterborough UK
    Jerry Sisican
    I'm exclusively M43 thanks to this forum and one photog blogger. As you can see from my signature below I'm also a camera collector lol. I only got into this hobby in 2011, I blame it on mid-life crisis hehe
  17. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    My wife and I share a pretty complete system built around m4/3, so it is my system of choice for most applications. Earlier this year I bought a 7d Mk II for wildlife because of the better C-AF, but my wife still carries the EM-1 on these excursions, so even then, m4/3 is still being used. While experiencing a different type of camera has been instructional, I would much prefer to have only one system that I could focus my development around. The differences in IQ were so slight, and as I found the tally of pros and cons between the two favoring the EM-1, I don't at this time intend to buy anything else for the Canon. I will continue to evolve my m4/3 kit and skills, and if the EM-1 Mk II and upcoming lenses manage to close the gap against the 7d Mk II even further, I may end up selling the 7d at that time.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  18. TRCPhoto

TRCPhoto Mu-43 Regular

Dec 13, 2014
    Princeton, NJ
    Over the last year my Canon gear has only been used for architecture and outdoor portraits where Olympus' "line of site" wireless flash doesn't work well. As soon as the M.Zuiko 7-14 2.8 launches I'll move my architecture work to my EM-1, and I just received a set of YN560IIIs that are replacing my need for Canon on outdoor shoots. So I currently have two systems, but one is on it's way out the door...
  19. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

I switched exclusively to MFT last April, when I bought my EM-1 just before a trip to Songkran in Thailand. Basically,t he worlds biggest water fight. I put the EM-1 through it's paces right in the middle of it all, and came back happy in th eknowlesge that I made the right choice for my needs.

I was using a 7D before, nice enough camera, and unbeatable lens selection, but the unreliable focus (with 3 different bodies, which led me to even today shooting each subject 8 times to ensure I get a focused shot...), and the size & weight factor all ended up pushing me towards MFT. I use my camer a mostly for travel photography (about 4 months a year), so the size and weight thing matters, not so much in use, where I'm quite happy do lug around a bag of long L's and a larger EOS body, but more in the actual travelling part - where size weight restrictions getting on to aircraft come into play (I refuse to check my camera gear - carry on only!).

20. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    My first serious camera was the Panasonic GF1 with the P20mm lens. This was the camera which I started to earn about photography, I was planning to move to a DSLR after a year or so when I knew more about photography, but I started buying the lenses and then other bodies. Then thing that appeals to me most about M43 is the smaller size and lesser weight while still maintaining good image quality.