1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Poll: Challenge result post

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by zettapixel, Aug 3, 2011.

1. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    I like the contests here at mu-43, watched several and the only thing that I found inconvenient is that at the end only the winner is announced, but it's unclear who were the best ones to beat (so to speak). Of course I understand that there is only one prize and no silver or bronze medals but I'd like to know who was (for instance) 2nd and 3rd. I don't know, maybe it's my soccer fan's view point?
    In the recent portrait challenge, for example, the first 3 places had 25, 22 and 22 votes and in a thread with 80 entries and >100 posts it's difficult to find something specific I think.
    So I propose a different way to make a challenge result post - include 2nd and 3rd place, but not more than 4 entries altogether. For instance, if there is a one winner, one 2nd place and 3 entries sharing the 3rd - only #1 and #2 would be included.
    Of course I'm not sure how much more work Admins would have to do to extract all those entries. If that's prohibitive then forget it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
  3. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
  4. leonberdi

leonberdi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Montreal
    While I do follow the challenges, I rarely look through the end results because I find it a little tedious to have to go through the pages of entries to match the specific entries that each specific member made. I voted for displaying the top three... but maybe the top 5 would be better?

• Like Like x 1
  5. PSimmons

PSimmons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 24, 2010
    Central Florida
    yeah it would be nice to post the top 5 images, sounds like a good idea to me

6. sphexx

sphexx Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2010
    Harrogate, Yorkshire
    Thumbnails

I have no idea if this is possible with the forum software but it would be good to have thumbnails of the photos shown against the names in the voting panel. I think this would make voting easier since it is easier to remember the images when prompted by a thumbnail rather than by the name -- maybe that is just me?

This would also go some way to satisfy the request for placings as you would usually see at a glance which images had come 1,2 & 3.

I have voted "Neither" as there is a better way i.e. mine :)

7. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    This has been suggested / requested previously and is not possible.

Remember this. As a mod or Admin, we have to track every image, then put them in order for the poll. We manage to accomplish that task... why is it so difficult to go back and see the entry?

Here's how I do it.

1. Open a browser Tab: Display the entrants.

2. Open second Browser Tab: Display my voting options

Then click between the two tabs for reference. Scroll down, all entrants are in order of the voting poll.

What part of that is difficult?

Alan

8. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    To be fair, it does get a bit tedious when using the iPhone app (and I've only ever visited the full site once). On the other hand, when I made a similar suggestion after the last challenge, Amin said it was impossible with the current forum software. C'est la vie I suppose. I did vote for the first time in this challenge, though! It may not be a perfect system, but this forum more than makes up for this one slight difficulty in other ways!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Thanks ssgreenley,

If I could have hit the thank you button 3 times I would have done so.

Cheers, Alan

10. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California

Agreed. Some of these contests are pretty close, where one vote can make the difference. It's only fair that the runner up gets recognized.

Not to mention, if I ever won a contest, I'd like to be reminded of who my closest competition was. It's an honor to their efforts and your title.

11. sphexx

sphexx Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2010
    Harrogate, Yorkshire
    I don't have any problems with the current system and did not say it was difficult.

I know tempers are a bit frayed over this contest and do not want to add to that. I was just offering a helpful suggestion, that I did not know had been suggested before, and as I indicated I thought it might not be practicable!

I appreciate all the work the Admin/Mods do here.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Sorry, I really didn't mean to sound to snappy... but I think you are correct in assuming there are some frayed nerves.

If I had the time, or were it even possible, to implement some of these regs, It would mean I was out of business, or had officially retired.

Lots of what is suggested, while well meaning, is just not possible. Even if it were, it would take more than the hours we currently devote to manage it.

Much as the many great members who report spam to us, vet and keep up with our Buy and Sell forum, let us know when it's a commercial venture, let the poster know they didn't include a price etc. et al. We depend on the membership to police themselves to "some degree".

This is a community, no different than a neighborhood pub, or community center.

The best rule I can think of is to "just be kind", be nice and as considerate of others as you can be.

That's my entire and complete business plan on MU-43. I really like it here, that's why I came here, that's why I got involved. That's it really, that's all there is to it.

Alan

• Like Like x 3
  13. When I saw the thread title I expected the worst, so the question being asked was actually a pleasant surprise in comparison! It's probably been mentioned before that the forum's poll software is not really designed to be used in the manner that we do for voting. It obviously still works, but is a bit of a clunky method and doesn't allow for adding thumbnails to the voting buttons. Essentially the poll software is intended for simple questions such as;

"Poll: Do you like carrots? Vote Yes/No"

With regards to the question asked here, there were a few considerations taken into account.

First is that as a one prize, winner takes all contest, we can announce the runner(s)-up, but have have nothing to offer them as a prize. Maybe being announced as being on the podium is to a small extent a prize in itself.

Second is that the post to announce the winner is kept deliberately brief so that it displays in it's entirety on the front page and doesn't get cut off by the word limit (250 if I remember correctly). Second and third could always be announced in a follow-up post so that is not a huge problem, and it is not too onerous a task to create that.

Links to the entries and poll results are always provided within the announcement, although this time the link to the poll was provided in the second post since there is some stuff in the poll thread which doesn't deserve a link to show up on the front page to be honest. Also, if you're browsing through the images trying to find the runners-up you might also find some of the other entries appeal to you more when you give them a second look.

We'll be keeping an eye on the results of this poll.

BTW, I like carrots.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm the same as Nic. +1 for carrots.
    They are really good for enhancing my night vision:smile:

15. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    Honestly I'm genuinely surprised that my poll turned out to be a bit controversial, I did not intend that, just thought I had a good idea...

Absolutely.
    Actually, my thinking was not so much about giving credit to runner-up users (since just looking at the voting poll we can see the standing), it's more about runner-up images that are not as easily accessible.

Thank you for consideration. Again, it's only a suggestion, I understand there could be any number of reasons (that I'm ignorant of) why the Admins choose the current format.

Me too. I think your poll would get 100% yays. Those carrots not boiled, are they? :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  16. I don't think your poll is controversial, I just first thought it may have been in relation to some of the differences of opinion in last months contest poll thread. :smile:

Definitely no boiling!

• Like Like x 3
  17. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

they're best straight out of the ground...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/6007217152/" title="smoko time by iconindustries, on Flickr">"640" height="480" alt="smoko time"></a>

• Like Like x 3
  18. First goats, now carrots. What a show-off!

• Like Like x 2