1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Poll: Back Up Kit for 2 Week Trip - Pen Role Reversal

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by penfan2010, Jul 1, 2012.

1. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    I noticed that a lot of folks have asked for advice on an "ideal" travel kit, and have gotten really good perspective from fellow forum members. I am going on a 2 week trip to Germany/Denmark and want to keep things light. I've decided to reverse roles and have my Olympus Pen F half frame 35mm film camera (even then it was already half the size of a full frame "sensor" aka film) be my main camera, with the Zuiko 38mm 1.8, Zuiko 25mm F4 and the Zuiko 70mm F2 (the true fore bearer of the 75mm :43: Zuiko everyone is now eagerly anticipating). I'd like to use one of my digital Pens as the second body:

- E-P1 with Zuiko 17mm F2.8
    P7012648.

- E-P2 with Panny 25mm 1.4
    P7012476.

- E-PL1 with Zuiko 14-150 F4
    P7012477.

Note that I have adapters for the Pen F lenses to use with my digital Pens. In any event, what would you vote for as the back up body/lens combo to ensure good FOV coverage (note Pen F crop factor is actually 1.5 35mm, not 2x), while keeping the entire kit as light as possible? I am throwing in a poll to make this easier and more interesting (for me anyway!). Thanks for your help!

2. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    I've never been to Germany or Denmark, but from what I've read of traveling in western Europe you want wide instead of long, so from the available choices I'd go with the 17mm. Gut feeling is not even that would be wide enough, but from your available options it's the widest so might as well go with it. I guess at 34mm equivalent it wouldn't be that much wider than the Zuiko 25mm f/4 mounted to the Pen F (37.5mm equivalent) but it would be a bit wider and a stop faster.

So that makes me want to rejig everything else. If I could drop the Pen F altogether I'd go with:

E-P2 + VF-2
    E-PL1
    Olympus 17mm f/2.8
    Panasonic 25mm f/1.4
    Pen F 70mm f/2 + adapter

Are you married to the idea of bringing the Pen F? If so may I ask why?

3. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Thanks for your perspective. Agree I am also concerned about not having a wide enough lens, which is why I may still take the 14-150. WRT the Pen F, it's pure sentimentality and my love for the original Pen F. I always took it as a back up camera when shooting with my P&s or my old E-500 Dslr. I always like to shoot both film and digital while traveling and the Pen F is the lightest IL film camera I have. Very economical on film, too, given half frame.

4. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Wow, I somehow completely blanked out the 14-150mm :confused: Ok, how about this then:

E-P2
    E-PL1
    14-150mm
    17mm f/2.8
    25mm f/1.4
    70mm f/2

I thought about dropping the 17mm, but it's so light you might as well bring it and, well, I have to confess a personal bias in favor of the 17mm focal length :smile: Unfortunately that puts you at 2 big-ish lenses in the 14-150mm and 25mm f/1.4 and you were trying to go light. Is that kit too heavy you think?