Polaroid new Android based cam...w/ MFT Adapter!

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by MrKal_El, Jan 7, 2013.

1. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
  2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The kit zoom is a 10-30, which implies a 1" sensor like Nikon CX. The Chinese really have a knack for naming though, don't they?
  3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Can't say that I've been impressed by Polaroid in recent years. Not too sure about that sensor either. :rolleyes:
  4. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    Don't lose all hope for this camera yet...

Apparently the sensor and lens are housed together in one unit, like that Ricoh camera (GXR?). Hopefully the micro four thirds adapter will have a full micro four thirds sized sensor.

I suspect the camera will have shoddy build quality and perhaps poor image processing in camera, and maybe be slow in operation, but I think the price and concept is brilliant.

Imagine a modular camera where when a newer higher-res viewfinder comes out you can just replace that, or just the sensor, or just the body... One rangefinder style for your small primes, one with manual controls for everything and that balances better with your fast telephoto zoom. Buy an adapter for fullframe, APS-C, micro four thirds, and maybe even a compact sensor so that you have tons of depth of field for macro.

Even the idea of having an opensource(-ish) OS, that lets you download apps and do more significant post processing in camera sounds good.

That said it was also mentioned on the internet somewhere that polaroid also previously announced an android camera that never saw the light of day, so this one may not either.

Anyway, more info at dpreview:
    Sakar launches Android-based, modular, Polaroid-branded camera system: Digital Photography Review
  5. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    I think this new Polaroid is a dead-ringer for the Nikon J1. And until someone knowledgeable tells me otherwise, I'm assuming that it is based on the J1.
  6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It isn't based off the Nikon J1 or any other Nikon. If you look at the pics/vids it is cheap and cheesy plastic and the Nikon 1 bodies are metal. This new cam is styled to look like a Nikon J1 but it is far from it.

As far as the adaptor to use m4/3 lenses - why!? I mean just buy a m4/3 camera instead of this chunk of plastic. You can get an older m4/3 model for less than what this thing is going to sell for. With the shutter and sensor built into each lens, any extra lenses{none announced} will be more costly than needed. The M4/3 adaptor that is mentioned will have to have it's own sensor and shutter and thus make it costly too.

I think they would have been far better off if they had joined the m4/3 group. A cheap entry model body would be good and their lenses might be good enough to use for Lomo type shooting.

The only Polaroid products I am interested in are the new digital cameras with the printed built inside. Not for serious photography but fun at parties or other gatherings.
  7. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

so, has anyone heard anything more about the Polaroid iM1836 ?
  8. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    We'll probably have to wait a bit, before a clear picture begins to appear. That's always been the way with Polaroid.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
  10. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    :2thumbs::happy-084: what an awesome statement!
  11. speedandstyle

And hold the picture upside-down!:biggrin:
  12. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Haha, Nice one Ian.
    I wonder if it will appear faster if we shake it too.
  13. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    I haven't got the faintest clue what you are all talking about. Did I miss something?
  14. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    They are referencing the Polaroid "Instant Printed Photo" design. Possibly not what you meant, but I read it that way (as a pun).
  15. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Instant Printed Photo? I can't wait for that.
  16. speedandstyle

That is what I thought too and why I added the "upside-down" because you were suppose to keep it from direct light while it was processing.
  17. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Polaroid effectively doesn't exist - at this point, it's a lawyer and an accountant in an office doing licensing deals for the brand name - the company is entirely defunct.