Polaroid M43 Introduced

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Theo, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
  2. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Well at least it's bringing something new to the table. (Android, that is.)

3. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    I dunno. I'm looking at it and I don't think it's really m4/3 - otherwise, all of the press material would indicate compatibility and interchangeability with an already existing assortment of lenses. From some press releases, it's indicating that a 500mm and a 50mm lens will be available in the future.

I could have sworn that the m4/3 standard implies lens architecture and interface specifications, so to truly be m4/3, you need to have compatibility.

Sure, the Android user interface is nice, but other than that, I'm calling infringement on the use of the term '4/3' or 'm4/3' by Polaroid.

4. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    I believe m43 means the mount and 4/3 sensor?

5. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    A 10-30mm lens could be useful its a lot cheaper than current UWA zooms, and comes with a body...
    Shame about the finish (& possibly IQ etc too.)

Reading elsewhere ' More unique is that each lens module has its own sensor and shutter mechanism ' DPreview - suggesting it's not m4/3!

6. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    18MP sensor, 10-30 zoom?

7. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Last I had heard, Polaroid was going a combined sensor-lens route, with different sensor for different lenses. Plus the body and the lens are complete replica of the Nikon J1 which is probably why Sakar is being sued over it...

8. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
  9. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
  10. Mark0

Mark0 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Near Venice, Italy
    IMHO it has nothing to do with Micro Four Thirds.
    The Polaroid website use ambiguous wording, but it seems just a way to get some search traffic and interest for free.

Don't know if it qualify as a "scam", but it definitely doesn't sound very serious or professional.

11. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    The official website for the camera says "compact micro 4/3 body": http://www.polaroid.com/iM1836-android-camera
    But that contradicts the info from CES and photos of the prototype.
    I've also seen reports earlier that it has a 1" sensor or a 2/3" sensor.
    I'm also not sure who makes an 18.1 megapixel sensor larger than 1/2.3"....

12. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    < Back to DIGITALCAMERAS
    Polaroid
    Polaroid iM1836
    DIGITALCAMERAS
    Polaroid iM1836

Sakar's Polaroid-branded iM1836 Android-powered compact interchangeable-lens smart camera makes it easy and fun for anyone to capture outstanding, professional quality images and instantly share them with friends. The 18 megapixel camera features the latest Android 4.1 "Jelly Bean" operating system, the smoothest and fastest Android OS yet. The camera comes with a detachable flash and a 10-30mm optical zoom lens. The Polaroid iM1836 camera will also offer consumers the flexibility to explore their creativity with interchangeable lenses.

Click here for Polaroid Support Website

Technical Specs