Polarizing filters question

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by xellz, Aug 8, 2012.

1. xellz

xellz Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 1, 2012
    Not sure if right place to ask. In photo bellow, do you think it could help with slight haze? I read about how it works, but not totally sure how it changes actual photo. Thinking on getting one, since i like landscapes, probably will be useful.

p.s. Also trying adding a frame, looks interesting, somehow more "complete" feel :)

2. kchau

kchau Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2012
    do you own a pair of polarized sunglasses? tilt your head until the haze goes away, if it does, then a CPOL will work.
  3. xellz

xellz Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 1, 2012
    No, have only usual sunglasses. If i understand right, cpl should help with haze, but not completely sure about this. I really want to achieve clear and crisp view, haze is often a problem. Especially when distance is quite big. Well, still a lot to learn.
  4. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    I suggest you go get one. It also helps with water reflections if what I heard is right.
  5. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    i almost always shoot with a polarizer specially at midday harsh light. why? because CPL are not only useful for "darkening the sky", it also works to get away harsh light reflections on almost every surface, even for shooting through windows with the sun behind you it will take away all the reflection, so is quite useful for me. even for street shooting (which, please lets not forget that street shooting is not only shooting people in the face). the only thing to be aware of is dont try using polarizers on really wide angles lenses, since its going to create a really weird ugly effect in the middle of your images. and for that then it would probably work better a graduated neutral density filter, specially for landscapes and of course you can use them with wide angles. but then thats a slightly different story. hope this works for you! GREAT shot by the way!
  6. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    if you don't mind black and white use a deep red filter that will knock out the haze... personally I don't mind the haze in this picture it adds some nice diffusion, and mood. However If you were to shoot this in B+W, then a deep red would would darken the sky, cut the haze and increase the percieved tonal range in the shot if that's what's most important in what you are trying to convey.
  7. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    You can use either a circular polarizer or a simple polarizing filter if you're shooting mirrorless.

I also like the warmth of the haze in this particular shot because it really adds a feeling for the time of the day. The same shot later in the day, and the haze would just be in the way.
  8. michaeln

michaeln Guest

One other effect of polarizers that I particularly like is the way it seems to increase color saturation, particularly on foliage. Leaves tend to reflect lots of polarized light that the polarizer is able to remove, and the net effect is to increase saturation without the kind of strange effects you get from a camera's Vivid mode or bumping up saturation or vibrance.
  9. michaeln

michaeln Guest

Also, the amount of effect a polarizer will have is directly related to the angle of the light, with the strongest effect coming when the sun is at 90 degree angle to the direction the lens (& polarizer) is pointed.
  10. michaeln

michaeln Guest

To answer your original question about reduction of haze, yes, the polarizer will help... especially if the haze is being caused by water droplets in the air.
  11. ante

ante Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    I am somewhat of a newbie so take my comment for what it is. But I kind of suspect that the haze in this image could come from stray sun light. Could that be the case? If so, a hood would help more than a cpl filter, I think.
  12. xellz

xellz Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 1, 2012
    Thanks for replies, think i understand little bit better. Hard part is to imagine exactly how a polarizing filter will change scene without checking photo on pc.

I've ordered cheap one from ebay. Found slim just under 10$, should be enough to try out and get idea. Don't think i will notice actual difference on photos between this and hoya or b+w :)

Quite nice, that my kit lens and oly 9-18 have same filter size. Want to get this lens sooner or later.

Oh, and somehow i changed my mind and agree, that haze in this photo actually is good :)
  13. RickVaughn

RickVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    I've been looking at Marumi polarizers/filters as I've read good reviews on them. Maybe someone here uses them?
  14. michaeln

michaeln Guest

I have a Marumi CPL and have been very pleased with it.
  15. michaeln

michaeln Guest

Filters in general and polarizers in particular are a place where you really do get what you pay for. A $10 polarizer is pretty likely to be crap.
  16. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    I have a polarizer on my 20mm. You can see the change on the cameras live preview as you turn the filter.
  17. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I have a Marumi that I use on my Canon EF lenses and a Heliopan Jet-Pol that I use on my Pany 20. The Marumi feels nicer to me and rotates more smoothly despite being the less expensive filter
  18. NJH

NJH Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    South West England
    Daft question but I assume the arrow/triangle on the outer rim of the filter is for this way up?
  19. michaeln

michaeln Guest

No, point it toward the sun.
  20. xellz

xellz Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 1, 2012
    Well see about this soon, i've used for a bit b+w cpl on my previous system. Though didn't experience many situations, only several days and mostly for increasing saturation in sky. At least can compare little bit. Polarizing filter sure has a lot more different applications and good list of examples in this thread. CPL filter should be quite easy to produce, not exactly rocket science :) And might be interesting for other people too, if it's worth for them buying more expensive filters. I'll be sure to post full sized samples with and without this cheapo cpl.

Not that long time ago i got manual flash and wireless trigger from yongnuo and it's really well made for quite small price.