1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

polarizing filter for omd1 mk2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rwa7425, Jun 4, 2019.

1. rwa7425

rwa7425 New to Mu-43

Oct 20, 2017
    I'm looking for a quality polarizing filter that fits on a 12-40mm lens for my omd1 mk2. Preferably one that has brass threads. My researchAny suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    .... B+W, Heliopan and Rodenstock are of the highest quality and have brass threads .....

3. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 24, 2018
    I think B+W uses brass filter rings, or used to.

4. Mack

Mack Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2018
    Breakthrough X4 Polarizer is also brass.

However, I'm leery of using a polarizer on a telephoto as it seems to require me to tune the AF to something other than normal. I did some tests in this thread, and some others chimed in saying their polarizer also affected a Canon and a Nikon. It wan't far off with the 300mm f/4, but putting the 1.4x TC onto it shifted the AF Tuning 9-10 points verses without the polarizer.

Tests: E-M1X is forgetting the AF Tuning settings.

On a wide angle lens, it requires a lot of sky burning in if I'm not careful of going too far.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  5. DrNuy

DrNuy Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2018
    France
    I have a Hoya Cir-PL.
    It has a slim plastic frame, not very convenient (cannot keep the cap firmly).

BTW, with hybrid cameras, do the polarizing filters really need to be of the circular type ?
    Would there be a relation with AF related problems ?

6. rwa7425

rwa7425 New to Mu-43

Oct 20, 2017
    Thanks for the quick reply. I will check them out.

7. rwa7425

rwa7425 New to Mu-43

Oct 20, 2017
    Thanks for the quick reply. Will check it out.

8. rwa7425

rwa7425 New to Mu-43

Oct 20, 2017
    Thanks for the quick reply. I did not consider the impact of the CP on the telephoto. Will have to some more research.

9. Michael Meissner

Michael Meissner Mu-43 Veteran

IIRC, except on the E-m1x and E-m1 mark II, a linear polarizer may not affect Olympus & Panasonic cameras, because they don't have the phase detect sensors. But the majority of polarizers are circular polarizers to work with phase detect cameras.

10. Mack

Mack Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2018
    I had issues with a polarizer on the E-M1X and decided to take it out on the E-M1 Mark iI and try it. Short answer is it required me to set the AF Tuning to a +6 or +7 using it on the 300mm or the 300mm plus the 1.4x teleconverter (i.e. 420mm) respectively. Filter was a Marumi DHG circular.

If your camera doesn't have the ability to fine tune the auto focus, you may have some soft images using one. Results are shown below with the 300mm without the polarizer on the left, and with it on the right. Same for the 420mm setup below that.

E-M1-Mark-II-300mm-Polarizer-Test.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

E-M1-Mark-II-420mm-Polarizer-Test.jpg

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The type of AF detection has no effect on the type of polarizer required for a mirrorless camera. It's the effect of the mirror in a SLR camera that can effect metering and AF.

12. Mack

Mack Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2018
    For fun, I just ran the 45mm f/1.2 Pro through the test without and with a polarizer on the E-M1 Mark II. The result was it needed far less auto-focus fine tuning than the telephoto did. It only moved one point positive using the same polarizer verses the seven point positive with that polarizer on the 300mm/420mm lens.

It seems the stronger the lens magnification, the more the polarizer influences the auto-focus tuning (To the plus side.). Less likely to get into focus issues with the non-telephoto lenses, imho.

E-M1-Mark-II-45mm-Polarizer-Test.jpg

13. Baenwort

Baenwort Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2017
    Wisconsin, USA
    Interesting data. I wonder if @Phocal@Phocal has ever tested this.

14. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Houston
    No I haven’t. Will have to test it out tho.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mack

Mack Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2018
    I also ran the 12-100mm at the 100mm FL setting to see how it would do given it is a bit of a telephoto, and about the only mid-range telephoto lens I have before the 300mm. It only showed one point positive over the default set. Puzzling, but it seems the stronger 300mm is doing something along with the polarizer filter to throw off the AF by 7 points.

Some Sony owners on the Fred Miranda site mentioned issues with polarizers going over 300mm FL resulting in soft images too. No issues from 100-200mm, but 300mm and there goes the AF. Polarizer impacting image quality on telephoto lenses?

Others speculate the loss of light through the polarizer might affect the focus, but I've shot with a 3 and 6 stop ND filter and hairs and bird's wing feather fibers are still tack sharp. The Marumi DHG polarizer, dunno, but it seems to have good ratings - unless it is doing some odd coloration or contrast thing the AF system doesn't like with the 300mm.

12-100mm-at-100mm-Polarizer-Test.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Always

Always Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2014
    Hong Kong
    Arthur
    I am using B+W CPL Filter 62mm MRC Nano XS-Pro for this lens since years and I am happy with the result so far.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mack

Mack Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2018
    I was looking at that B+W filter earlier on and saw where one guy felt his Hoya was sharper in the images on the website than the B+W. Here: http://www.photocornucopia.com/1018.html

Might be all these polarizers are sharp, but some physical designs are causing the AF system to need an adjustment for some back-focus or front-focus error and then they are okay. Knowing I can get the Marumi DHG filter to function well by applying a +7 to it with the 300mm is okay with me since I can adjust that. However, if I had a camera where I couldn't fine-tune the AF then it might be a cause for concern - and maybe never use a polarizer on that camera either.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.