Polarizers for Oly 12m 2.0 & 45mm 1.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by gsciorio, Jan 31, 2012.

1. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I'm considering purhcasing the Olympus 12mm and the 45mm for my EMP1. I'm pretty picky on the filters I use and would love some suggestions for polarizers.

I always try to get a slim line polarizer for my wide angle lenses to avoid any vignetting.

These are the two that I'm looking at but I'm curious if anyone has the Oly 12 with a polarizer which one do you have and do you get any vignetting?

Heliopan 46mm Circular Polarizer Filter 704680 B&H Photo Video

B+W 37mm Circular Polarizer Multi-Resistant Coated 66-1069182
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks my friend
    I already have Olympus 45 mm 1.8 and while half asleep I orderded UV filter instead of Polariser hahahah.I also need one .By the way Olympus 45 mm 1.8 is a killer lens .I like Olympus 12mm 2 as well but I think price should have been around USD499 mark.

3. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    Can't comment on the B+W 37mm polarizer, but I can say that you should stay away from the Tiffen 37mm linear polarizer if you're after true polarization. I stacked it on top of two other Hoya filters and couldn't get the image to black out.
  4. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
  5. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    You might want to look at Singh-Ray as well.. they also have a version that had a ND grad built into with the Polarizer (DUO) which could be interesting to have.
  6. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    I use that B+W and love it.
  7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Heliopan and B+W are both awesome! Don't know what more to say, lol... :cool:

A good polarizer isn't that cheap though. Personally, I would only get the 46mm polarizer then get a 37-to-46mm step-up ring for the m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 so you can use the same polarizer on both. A step-up ring will only cost you $15 as opposed to another $100 filter, and a polarizer isn't something you use all the time.

Also remember that you can use a linear polarizer as well, and aren't limited to circular. Linear is both stronger and cheaper, but that is if you can find one for your lens. The purpose of using a circular polarizer is to not confuse the PDAF system of a DSLR. We don't have PDAF on our mirrorless cameras.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Oh yeah I forgot about that! Thanks. Also do you think the CPL with step up ring will fit on the 45 with the lens hood?
  9. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    I've also been looking for a 46mm polarizer (although for the 20mm lumix) and decided to get the B+W Kaeseman, these have very good reviews and user's feedback, and are even cheaper than Heliopan (well, their "list price" is $178, but b&h and amazon sell them for ~$90).

Not sure about the hood.. I think that hoods that are available now, at least for oly 45mm, are screwed into the filter threads, so in order to use a filter with the hood you'd need a filter with front threads (and mentioned above heliopan doesn't have them) so you attach the filter to the lens and then attach the hood to the filter. This might actually work quite nice - dialing in polarizing effect by rotating the hood! Haven't ever used a polarizer before though, so maybe it won't work like this..
  10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I believe the hood gsciorio is talking about is the bayonet hood. I doubt it will fit with the step-up ring and polarizer, but honestly the bayonet hood will probably be a hassle anyways if used with a polarizer, as you will need to remove it to adjust the polarizer then twist it back on when you're set. The only bayonet hood I'll use with a polarizer is one with a sliding door that's made for filter adjustment like the Zuiko 50-200mm SWD hood, or a really shallow petal hood that I can still get my fingers into. Otherwise, you're better off to just get a 46mm screw-in hood to screw right onto the polarizer itself. Plus, you can use this on both the 12mm as well as the 45mm, and it can actually stay on the polarizer to help protect it in your bag. Just make sure it's not a petal-style hood, as that won't work well when you turn and adjust the polarizer. There are lots of high-quality screw-in hoods available for the 46mm filter thread, as this was a common size for Leica rangefinder lenses. You may even find some nicer metal hoods than the ones made for the lens and may want to change it out permanently, lol. If you step up your 45mm/1.8 to a 46mm thread, you can keep that step-up ring on there if you prefer to use a 46mm cap and hood.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Correct. I was talking about the Olympus hoods not aftermarket. Was about to make the purchase today but my old friend Paypal wants to hold the funds from selling my 5DMKII for two more weeks. Oh well. I'll be visiting Arizona next week with the kit lens and the 17mm Olympus both are good lenses.

When I get back I'll get the gear for my next cover shoot. Been an exciting transition back to Olympus and I'm looking forward to the OMD announcement next week!
  12. theblindfalconer

theblindfalconer Mu-43 Regular

Dec 15, 2012
    Hi Ned,

I stumbled on this thread while researching polarizer filters for the Olympus 12mm I have.

I was excited to try and find a linear polarizer and went to my local Samy's store in Hollywood. Well, without really listening to what equipment I had, three different sales folks tried to assure me that I had to use a circular filter.

Unfortunately, I don't have the photography vernacular to support any sort of deep conversation to why I didn't need circular, but was really more turned off by the way they immediately pounced on me for being wrong and pushing the circular.

Can you just help clarify for me and reassure my hunt for a choice linear polarizer is a good one? If my Olympus 75mm or Voigtlander 25mm will do well with linear lenses as well, I'd appreciate the vote of confidence there too.

13. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    All mirrorless cameras can use either linear or circular polarizers. Circular polarizers (due to the quarter wave plate they employ) are only required for SLR/DSLR cameras with mirrors/beam splitters.

Linear polarizers are often less expensive and provide a stronger effect than circular polarizers, but either will work well on your camera.
  14. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    ^^^^ What he said...

Plus many camera stores don't carry linear polarisers as they don't sell as many. So they tell you you "need" what they have in stock. Plus many camera stores are manned by monkeys who don't actually know why they are saying what they are saying (and yes, a long time ago, I was one of those monkeys).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Salguod

Salguod New to Mu-43

Mar 12, 2013
    Doug A
    I am using the Chrome finish Digi-Pro ones from B+W
    They are expensive but give no colour casts and have the added bonus of looking superb on the silver lenses :smile:

and as someone else said go for the Kaesemann ones - costs more but better.

These can be found at B&H but are not cheap
    • Like Like x 1
  16. WorldShooter

WorldShooter Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2013
    Giethoorn, Netherlands
    Peter B.
    Agreed! I do the same thing. Works fine!

True, but I still got a Circular Pol. PDAF (integrated on the sensor; hybrid configuration with CDAF) is probably just around the corner with m43. It may be more expensive now, but it will prevent you having to buy a new filter when you will buy a new body.

Happy shooting!
  17. WorldShooter

WorldShooter Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2013
    Giethoorn, Netherlands
    Peter B.
    Singh-Ray is a filter brand with some reputation. They make excellent filters and also offer some inventive and unique solutions like their Duo and Trio filters.

Be aware however:
    - Their smallest filter size is 52mm. So you'll need step-up filter rings.
    - They're pretty expensive (USD 210+)
    An overview can be found here

BTW Heliopan and B+W are both excellent brands
  18. theblindfalconer

theblindfalconer Mu-43 Regular

Dec 15, 2012
    Wow. Thanks everyone! I felt really discouraged walking out of that store, though after posting and reading these responses feel more empowered than ever.

I really appreciate the guidance here.
  19. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    I recently bought a linear polarizer (46mm heliopan) and it works fine, so no need to worry.
  20. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I was going to mention the step-up ring, but Ned beat me to the punch. I just got my 12 (and already had the 45), although I don't use polarizers all that much. I have a number of multiple sizes left from my Nikon kits, and will have to look and see which is the smallest I have from them.