1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Polarizer

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by j-rad, Jun 9, 2015.

1. j-rad

j-rad Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2015
    Can anyone recommend a polarizer I can use with various lenses I have, including Panny 14-42 II, Oly 40-150 and Oly 25?

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

A single one is going to be hard given how different the thread sizes are for those lenses, you'll have to use step up rings to 58mm to match the largest. Marumi Super DHG is excellent optically for the price.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Typically a polarizer is used to darken blue skies and eliminate glare on a sunny day for landscape photos. With that in mind, do you envision using it much on the 40-150mm or 25mm? Based on my own experience, I'd really expect it to get the bulk of the use on the 14-42 and almost none on the 40-150mm. The 25mm, maybe. Although the light reducing properties of a polarizer may make it useful as a makeshift ND on the 25mm.

So were it me, I wouldn't want to use a big annoying 58mm CPL on my 14-42 just so it fits the 40-150 that I would rarely use the filter on. I'd probably just get a 37mm one for the 14-42. If you wanted to use it on the 25mm, then a 46mm with a 37-46mm step up ring is not too bad, but still a little annoying.

Since mirrorless does not need a circular polarizer, I think Hoya Linear Polarizers (in the purple packaging) are among the best bang for the buck.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Best Buy has their own premium brand of Polarizers made by a German company at pretty good prices. I bought a Best Buy Pro brand Platinum Circular Polarizer for 77mm thread and I was surprised at its somewhat pro-quality and it was pretty cheap @$35 on sale. With my BB rewards, I got it for $5. Maybe Best Buy has B&W do their own econo version. Why buy linear when a circular one is that cheap?!? The Platinum CP works quite good. Hard to tell a difference between my Nikon CP 2nd Generation thin and my Kenko Pro II (both are much much more expensive than the Platinum from Best Buy).

In your case, you might want to consider buying just 1 58mm circular polarizer and 2 step up rings -- 37-58 and 46-58.

5. wjiang

The other reasons are to cut through haze, reduce reflections, and make foliage pop as a result. All those apply for a telephoto when being used to take landscapes.

6. tkbslc

A circular polarizer is not a superior technology. It was a design workaround to allow for SLRs to still be able to focus with a polarizer. For a rangefinder or mirrorless, there is no advantage to a circular polarizer.

• Like Like x 2
  7. tkbslc

I suppose. I've just used mine on a long telephoto exactly zero times in the past 10 years. 58mm is a pretty big filter for 37mm step up.

8. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Is there a big difference in the actual effectiveness of polarizer filters between brands (rather than just unintended issues like colour casts, loss of sharpness, etc... from cheap filters)?

I ask because I have an old linear polarizer that I tried for a little while, and was a bit surprised at how little difference it made to my images. I didn't spend a lot of time with it, to be fair, but it was still a bit of a shock.

9. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
  10. tkbslc

It made little difference compared to other polarizers or to no filter at all?

11. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Agreed. But if you are to re-sell it, a circular polarizer is easier than a linear because it works on both mirrorless and DSLR whereas linear only works with mirrorless. In my case, both linear and circular were priced the same and with my Best Buy rewards, I got it almost for nothing. These days, buying linear usually means buying N.O.S (New Old Stock) and the no-name brand filters are actually quite good. Why buy old stock when you can buy new and designed by a German company with the latest coatings which isn't that superior technology than linear polarizers of years past?!? for not much more moola?!?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  12. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Polarizer works best with the 90 degrees rule. That is the subject frame is 90 degrees from the sun. Otherwise, slight loss of sharpness and color casts are notorious on cheaper polarizers. However, I have noticed that even no name brand polarizers are actually to surprisingly good compared to the top brands. I own Pentax, B&W, Kenko and Nikon brands and recently the Platinum series by Best Buy which is surprisingly good and is German designed. The filter itself looks eerily similar to my B&W which I am suspecting is the contractor for their filters.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
  13. wjiang

It's all about the unintended issues, as with most filters really. There's also benefits such as easy clean, water repelling coatings, low profile, build, etc.

14. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Compared to no polarizer. It was noticeable, but quite a subtle effect, even on reflections.

Brand is cokinlight.

15. tkbslc

Forgive me for asking the basics, but you did adjust the outer ring of the filter for the angle of lighting and strength of effect? Was the sun at your side or straight above and not in front or behind you?

Obviously there are different quality, but kind of like an ND filter, you should still get the polarization on any quality filter.

16. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Haha, yes, I definitely turned the ring.

I recall it having some effect, it just wasn't dramatic enough to warrant me ever using it again. Maybe I should revisit that.

The trouble is is that I have little consensus with filter threads on any of the lenses I use most frequently...

20mm/1.7 = 46mm
    14-140mm = 62mm
    Tak 50mm/1.4 = 49mm
    55mm/2.8 Macro = 62mm
    Oly 11-22mm = 72mm
    7.5mm/3.5 FE = Uhhh...

The one I have is a 62mm size. But putting a giant step-up ring on the 20mm pancake and getting another lenscap just seems goofy, somehow. I guess it's for the best that I don't have a polarizer that can fit the 11-22mm, I'm sure the results would be terrible given its wide angle...

17. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    And a good Polarizer is more expensive than a couple of step rings.

18. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    I once ruined a bunch of sky shots using a PL on my 14mm.

The combo was great for taking shots of cars though.