Polarizer

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I went ahead and ordered the somewhat expensive Kaesemann model I mentioned earlier in the thread.
Nice.

In case you haven't thought about how to carry your filter around, may I suggest metal front and back caps such as...
https://www.amazon.com/Fotasy-Metal-Filter-Stack-Aluminum/dp/B007PWXLAM/ ?

Usually, when I am carrying filters just to have them on hand if needed, it will be just two, a polarizer and a 3-stop ND filter. So no need for a big "filter wallet" to lug around a dozen plus filters. I find these caps to be perfect because even wallets can get bent or crushed and the plastic bin most filters come in are large and brittle. But when you sandwich your nice filter between these hubcaps they are nearly bulletproof protected and you can (literally) toss them anywhere in your bag or even put them in your back pants pocket where sitting on them by accident will hurt only you, not the filters.

I actually have two ready to go "stacks" A 72mm CP+ND for when I am out with my 12-100mm lens and then a 46mm stack for my Oly 17/25/45 f1.8 primes (although I do have to throw in a 37-to-46 step ring as well for the 45mm). I just grab which ever one I need and toss it in and go.

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I suppose "xtra-thin" polarizer like XS-Pro might be useful in conjuction with an ND filter, but for me the F-Pro is thin enough.

Polarizer is often advertised for wide vistas and blue skies, but even for landscapes closer up in cloudy conditions, which is how I usually shoot landscapes, a polarizing filter is a must for me, even if it means using a tripod because of the 1 or 2 stops light loss.

But now I have E-M1 II and 12-100mm with dual in-body IS and optical IS, no more tripod needed, there is really not much downside to using polarizer, so no excuse to not use one. I think it is worth the money if you are into natural landscapes, I think you will not regret it.

fortwodriver

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Frank
I saw that and was worried that at 12 mm some models/brands would vignette the corners. I figured that slim was good in this case. Hopefully it will work fine with the lens cap. If not, I find one it works with.

I have a regular F-Pro depth filter on my 12mm, and it doesn't vignette. I used to use the XSPro filters on a Canon 10-22 zoom lens - because F-Pro filters would vignette at 10mm. I found that most of the generic centre-pinch caps you can get fit it better than the Canon caps do.

Dogbert62

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Patrick
You can get Breakthrough CPLs with integrated 3-stop, 6-stop, and I think 10-stop ND. Expensive but they look much thinner than stacking a CPL with an ND

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've been using linear polarizers with my E-M10, some recent Tiffens and an Vivitar from the 1970s. They all work fine. I haven't noticed any focus issues, but I don't think I've ever used one on a long tele.

PeteS

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Pete Staehling
I've been using linear polarizers with my E-M10, some recent Tiffens and an Vivitar from the 1970s. They all work fine. I haven't noticed any focus issues, but I don't think I've ever used one on a long tele.
I think I have an old 62mm linear Vivitar around somewhere in one of my old bags. I probably could have gotten by with it using an adaptor ring. I have a nice $$$ B + W Circular Polarizer Kaesemann - Xtra Slim Mount (XS-PRO) on the way, so I don't think I'll order the adaptor and dig out the Vivitar. I'd be second guessing myself if the results looked too good.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom