1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

'Polarizer: With & Without'

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RT_Panther, Apr 16, 2012.

1. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    The shots below represent a visual description of why I always use polarizers when I'm shooting cars, motorcycles, & anything else that's reflective:

Disclaimer: I took these for demonstrative purposes only so please disregard all composition errors, etcetera....:biggrin:

Without Polarization (Straight Out Of Camera)

7084398491_166daa6196_b.
    Without Polarization by RedTail_Panther, on Flickr

And With Polarization (Straight Out Of Camera)

6938325882_4cc28d316a_b.
    With Polarization by RedTail_Panther, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  2. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    I have owned a Kenko Pro1 CP for around 6 months and used it more the other day than I have in the past. It is a 37mm filter and I tried it on the Oly 17mm and 45mm lenses.

I have to admit that I was a little disappointed with the results after viewing them on a large monitor. In comparison without using the filter I find that the image is not as clear. It is hard to describe exactly what the differences are, other than the results are not as clear and crisp. The filter is doing what is should and the glare is reduced, but at a loss of overall clarity and crispness, if that makes sense.

I am wondering whether it is more an issue of I have what I paid for and need to purchase a higher quality filter, ie Hoya or B&W.

Photo no.1 (mountain shot) 17mm with CP F:5.0 1/640 - no exposure compensation

Photo no.2 (beach shot) 45mm with CP F:5.0 1/1000 - no exposure compensation.

Camera EPM1 with VF3.

Attached Files:

3. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Apologies I meant to add:

Photo no.1 (mountain shot) 17mm F:5.0 1/640 with CP - no exposure compensation

Photo no.2 (beach shot) 45mm F:5.0 1/1000 with CP - no exposure compensaton

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Interesting how the brands differ eh?
    In my shots, I used a Hoya Multi-Coated - but my personal favorite is my Heliopan.

5. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Agreed. The more I look at the shots I took the more disappointed I am, especially with the 45mm, which is usually as sharp as it can get. The 17mm can usually deliver good results also, but not with this filter on the front.

Back the drawing board, or in this case, Ebay...

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I agree that the Heliopan is a step above but the Kenko Pro-1 series uses the same glass as the top-end Hoya Pro1 Digital series, including construction right down to the same low-profile black almite frame. Sokar's Kenko Pro-1 filter should be as good or better than any other Hoya filter.

Oh, and I am also a firm believer in polarizers when reflective goods are present. :)

7. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    That's what I thought when I researched the CP filters. I can recall purchasing the Kenko based on that point. Maybe I need to persist a little further with this filter.

I know that the little bugger is hard to keep clean, that's for certain. One finger mark and it takes a lot to clean the filter. Maybe I need to carry a small bottle of liquid cleaner to keep the glass clean on both sides.

8. RR76

RR76 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    South Wales UK
    There's a comparison test of polarisers here: LINK The only one I've seen around on the web.