1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Polarizer, Tiffen 52mm, dud?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by strang, Jul 5, 2012.

1. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    I bought a polarizer from eBay and it arrived yesterday. It's simply labelled Tiffen Polarizer 52mm on the rim. I attached it to my 12-50mm but turning it seems to not produce any effects in viewfinder or LCD.

Did I get a linear polarizer? Am I right that these may only work on a film camera? How can I tell if my filter is a linear or circular polarizer?

2. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    No, both linear and circular polarizers will work on m43 cameras. The problem w/ linear polarizers is that they can mess with the auto focus of DSLRs, but are perfectly fine for mirrorless cameras.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

Hi,

Your polarizer is not a dud ...

In my experience with the E-M5 and polarizers, the live-view levels compensate for polarizer rotation just about as fast as you can turn. So, it's a bit difficult to tell when you've reached maximum cut.

So what I've been doing is looking for a cloud or body of water or glass pane that has glare or haze, then looking to see what polarizer rotation gives it the most definition. This is working well.

The circular versus linear polarizing is a non-issue for the m43s because they are all mirror-less. Choose either, and note the linears are less expensive for comparable performance.

I enjoy polarizers very much, I use them more than the in-camera filters by far.

- Carl

• Like Like x 1
  4. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    This article is actually what prompted me thinking that I may have gotten a linear polarizer.

5. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    I would need to test this in the field then I guess. Thanks for sharing your experience with it.