1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Polarizer for Olympus 12mm?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by rogergu, Apr 17, 2013.

1. rogergu

rogergu Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2013
    Hi everyone,
    Any recommendation on the polarizer for Olympus 12mm?

Thanks,
    Roger

2. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Marumi DHG or Super DHG.

See: Polarizing filters test - Results and summary - Lenstip.com

Check prices against B&W models shown in this test summary as well.

Be aware that with a lens wider than about 28mm equivalent the sky can be unevenly polarized. I personally do not mind it on the 12mm. At some wider FL's I find it can have diminishing returns.

Good read: Polarizers

woof!

3. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    ^^^
    I second the Marumi DHG & Super DHG filters. I bought a 52mm super and use stepping rings on my 37, 46 and 58mm lenses. (40-150 doesn't vignette with step-down & 52mm filter. (Marumis are slim.)

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

4. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    I have a Marumi Super DHG, 58 mm thread. Works great.

I upgraded from a Tiffen linear polarizer. It too worked great.

The only reason I "upgraded" was because I needed a 58 mm filter and that Marumi was the cheapest name brand I found.

5. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    I want to put in a plug too for using a 52mm filter with step-up ring on the 12mm. This allows me to also use the same 52mm filters on my P45-150 and P14-45mm, as well as my Sigma 30mm, and now via step-down for my O40-150mm (thanks twokatmew!)

Also important, on the 12mm I can stack two normal 52mm filters without vignetting. I use a variety of hoods, some screw ins, but have most recently settled on the 52mm Sigma "Perfect" tulip-shaped clip on for the 24/28mm lenses - eg: http://www.ebay.com/itm/genuine-Sig...or-shade-fits-onto-52mm-threads-/400345931340.

woof!

6. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    I own a hoya CPL, 52mm. It's actually pretty good, I'm sure there are some differences between it and the more respected brands, but I doubt you'd ever see those differences in a photo. I went for 52mm because that's what fits my 9-18 (the only lens I ever use it with) but also because there are few m43 lenses with larger filter threads.

Another big bonus of m43 is we pay less for our filters. Way less. So 'splashing out' still isn't that big a deal.

woof?

7. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    Just throwing this out. Since our mirror less systems don't require a circular polarizer you can also opt for a linear polarizer if you find a good deal . But I've had hoya and b+w filters and personally I like the overall feel and of course performance of the b+w.

8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    An additional 'throwing it out there': careful with polarizers on wideangles, as you will frequently get very uneven skies due to the wide angle of view and thus wide spread of light entering the lens. So if you're shooting for stitched panoramas, do not use the CPL.

9. rogergu

rogergu Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2013
    Has anyone tried the Panasonic 46mm polarizer?

10. atmo

atmo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    Ireland.
    Interested in this topic too. I've heard that CPLs are very useful for shooting cars, to remove reflections on the paintwork. But I've also been reading the mirrorless doesn't need CPL, only linear. Could someone explain, please?

11. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Simply due to the fact phase-detect AF systems (PDAF) get confused by linear polarising. The visual effect is the same. There are precious few linear polarising filters available, and since future cameras may have PDAF (continuous AF anyone?) added, I don't see why you would get a linear pola filter unless you found one stupid cheap.

Polarizers are almost the only filter out there that can't be replicated by photoshop or exposure bracketing - controls contrast, reflections and so forth, and I highly recommend getting one and learning to use it.

12. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Some cameras use internal polarisers for autofocus (Phase detection auto focus) µ4/3 uses contrast detection so does not need the extra 1/4 wave layer of a CPL. Note a circular polarizer, is a standard linear polarizer, with an additional layer which scrambles the polarisation of light after it has passed through.
    If you stack a linear polarizer in front of a CPL you can adjust the total light transmitted (variable ND) get them the wrong way round and the second polariser always reduces the intensity by 1/2.

13. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    If I use a linear version instead, will it work better? The metering would suffer wouldn't it? Or ditch the PL for an ND grad instead?

14. Sela69

Sela69 Mu-43 Regular

So the best suggestion is to go for a 58mm filter (polarizer and ring adapters) ?

Could you show me how to find ring adapters ?

15. Wizard Steve

Wizard Steve Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Provence, France
    David Ricketts
    Search for "step up ring" on Amazon.

For the record, I use a 52mm Hoya Pro-1D CPL on my 46mm Olympus 17mm/f1.8.

16. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    It's à property of the lens, not the polarizer.

17. Sela69

Sela69 Mu-43 Regular

But it's better to use a filter of the exact size or a filter of bigger size with the adapter ? Less risk of vignetting ?