1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Polarizer and EVF

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by stevejw, Dec 29, 2013.

1. stevejw

stevejw New to Mu-43

Dec 27, 2013
    Does anyone else have trouble using a polarizing filter with the EM-5? With my previous cameras with optical viewfinder it was easy to see the effect of the filter. With the EVF on the EM-5 I can barely see any change as a rotate the filter.
    What is your experience?

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Is your EVF set to auto adjust brightness? Ie boost?

3. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    as highlighted already, because the effects of a pola filter include 'darkening' the image (because of the reduction in reflected light) if the mode and settings maintain the light level in the EVF they will compensate and give you the impression that nothing is happening.

you can still see the effect on the areas where reflections are reduced, and if you look at your settings you may see those change too as you rotate it.

4. stevejw

stevejw New to Mu-43

Dec 27, 2013
    Playing around now I can clearly see the changes in reflection from my desk as I rotate the filter. But yesterday, I was taking pictures on the coast using the polarizer to get a bluer sky or reduce reflections from the water and found it very difficult to see any change.

5. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    How experienced are you with polarisers? At different times of the day the effect can be either drastic or barely noticeable...

I've noticed no real difference between my EM5 and other cameras...

6. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Yeah, Evf compensates and it's not as much fun. Basically, you just have to watch what the camera says about needed shutter speed as you rotate the polarizer to see where the maximum effect will be.