Polarized, amber filter?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by WT21, Oct 21, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Coming home through Vermont today, I was wearing my polarized amber shades, and really liking how the landscape looked. Especially the fall colors.

Has anyone made a filter along the same idea for photography? Any thoughts on why it would/would not be useful?

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Why not a PL and white balance adjustments?

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    • Like Like x 1
  4. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Thanks! I was searching for "amber polarizer" and it seems I should have been searching for "warming" and "gold"

I might look at Hoya though, instead of Singh-Ray ;) 

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    LoL yes Singh-Ray is a wee bit expensive....:biggrin:

6. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Looks cool!

I also read (and didn't realize) that a polarizer cools color, so combining a PL with a warming filter helps to counteract.

I already have the PL I need. Wonder if I should just get an add-on warming filter, but then that'd be 2 pieces of glass in front of the lens.

7. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    As you saw Hoya makes one, so does Tiffen. No experience with either though. Other route to take would be using a Cokin P set-up, no indication that you're interested in that though.

8. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    The hoya warming polarizer (moose peterson branded, is the one I used) doesn't have the oomph the Singh Ray has. Also the hoya has nearly a 3 stop loss, while the ray is about 1 2/3 stop loss. Although the Hoya is pretty good for it's price, it'll set you back about the same as a B+W.

9. zorki1

zorki1 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2010
    Make one , unscrew the retaining ring in the polarizer ,drop in an 81a filter on top of the polarizer glass , screw the retaining ring back in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.