1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Polarized, amber filter?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by WT21, Oct 21, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Coming home through Vermont today, I was wearing my polarized amber shades, and really liking how the landscape looked. Especially the fall colors.

Has anyone made a filter along the same idea for photography? Any thoughts on why it would/would not be useful?

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Why not a PL and white balance adjustments?

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    • Like Like x 1
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Thanks! I was searching for "amber polarizer" and it seems I should have been searching for "warming" and "gold"

I might look at Hoya though, instead of Singh-Ray ;)

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    LoL yes Singh-Ray is a wee bit expensive....:biggrin:

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Looks cool!

I also read (and didn't realize) that a polarizer cools color, so combining a PL with a warming filter helps to counteract.

I already have the PL I need. Wonder if I should just get an add-on warming filter, but then that'd be 2 pieces of glass in front of the lens.

7. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    As you saw Hoya makes one, so does Tiffen. No experience with either though. Other route to take would be using a Cokin P set-up, no indication that you're interested in that though.

8. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    The hoya warming polarizer (moose peterson branded, is the one I used) doesn't have the oomph the Singh Ray has. Also the hoya has nearly a 3 stop loss, while the ray is about 1 2/3 stop loss. Although the Hoya is pretty good for it's price, it'll set you back about the same as a B+W.

9. zorki1

zorki1 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2010
    Make one , unscrew the retaining ring in the polarizer ,drop in an 81a filter on top of the polarizer glass , screw the retaining ring back in.