Pointless bragging -- how long have you been using m43

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Starting around 2013, in late 2013 I became commited with a focal reducer. Things have changed greatly in such a short amount of time since when I first bought a refurbed E-M5 to the refurbed E-M1II that I'm shooting primarily with now.

I hope that the future of Micro Four Thirds remains as bright as it has been for the time I've been using the system.

longviewer

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
This photo was taken on 30 Nov 2010, when a G1 arrived to provide a reality check on my new K-7.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The Pentax was an ergonomic masterpiece with an indifferent sensor, the G1+14-45 a compact bargain. Both began to struggle around iso1250. I found a GH1 soon after and its sensor was a pinch better at higher ISO.

Many many cameras have come and gone since 2010, due to an itchy mouse finger and ongoing bursts of financial troubles that rip good kits from my trembling hands. On the :mu43: side I've had at least one of Lumix gf2, gx1, gm1, gx7, g7, gx85 and now G85 (plus the g1 and gh1) - plus Oly pm2, pl 5-6-7, em5/10/10ii and now ep5. And YI's M1!

Please don't ask about the lost Pentax bodies :crying: :boohoo: :dash2:

jhawk1000

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mel
I bought an Olympus EPL-1 sometime in 2012 and then a Panasonic G5 from BH on 9-4-2013. Still have them but did not use them often. Used Nikon D800, D750, D2X, D700. In 2018, bought a used EM-10 then an Em-5ii and Em-1. Loved the EM-10 in Ireland and that is the reason we bought the other bodies. Have now bought an Oly 12-40 2.8, 40-150 2.8, 25mm 1.7, 60mm 2.8 Sigma and the old 40-150 4/5.6.

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
Mid July 2011. I wanted to make the move from P&S to ILC, and after a few hours of online research, I settled on a Panasonic G10 over an entry level DSLR, mainly because of its feature set at that price point. Bestbuy (Yes, they had a UK presence back then) were showing stock, but that turned out to be an error. The store assistant was very apologetic and offered me a G2 at the same price, and I've been a happy Lumix owner ever since. I've also concurrently owned a few Olympus cameras along the way, I still have my EPM1 and EM10.

Last edited:

RickinAust

Mu-43 Veteran
Hmm never really thought about it but bought my EM5 back in Aigust 2012. It's still working although the PASM dial sometimes has a mind of it's own. It's been all over the world taken pics in the rain, it's been dropped but still works. Just bought a OMD EM1 Mk2 a few months ago but still use the EM5 as a back up.

Real Name
Adam
September 2012, an E-M5 with a bunch of glass to replace my DSLR and a bunch of glass that was burgled from my home while I was away on holiday. That kit had been left at home because it was too bulky to take on that family holiday.

That E-M5 was supplemented by an E-P3, which became an E-P5 then an F, while the E-M5 became an E-M1.

It's no longer my principal kit - A-mount has that rôle - but the F is still my favourite for street and non-threatening photography.

discus277

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jim
My first was Oly E-PM2 with 14-42 kit lens sometime mid 2015. I knew nothing about Micro 4/3 but wanted something small with interchangeable lens options. I learned the Oly menu system after a while but shot all jpg. Got the Oly 17 mm f1.8 soon after. Was using Gimp then PS Elements for editing. Wanted a viewfinder and eventually bought the PEN-F....photo is unboxing of PEN-F taken with little Panasonic P & S in Nov 2017. PEN Mini in foreground

Around the same time I signed up for Lightroom Classic CC and began the learning process of editing RAW.

Have added some lenses but the little Oly 17 mm gets used more than any other.

The total package has been a very enjoyable learning process.....I cant imagine needing another camera body after having the PEN-F now for over a year !!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
E-PM1, 2012 (near the end of its run if I recall correctly - heavily discounted, at any rate).......
That's the one I started with in 2012 as well, yes heavily discounted. My wife and I were headed out on a road trip; the smallest thing I had to bring was a D700 and old Nikon AF 28-105D. The E-PM1 with kit lens were smaller and lighter than the lens alone.

Since then? 12 bodies not counting the pair of LX100s or taking into account that I've actually owned 3 GM5s
E-PM1, GX1, GX7, GX85, GM1, GM5, E-P5, E-M10 mkI & II, E-M5 mkII, and E-M1 mkI & II

Glass: 35 different lenses (more than half more than once and several more than twice o_O).

mnhoj

There and back again and again
Real Name
John M
That's the one I started with in 2012 as well, yes heavily discounted. My wife and I were headed out on a road trip; the smallest thing I had to bring was a D700 and old Nikon AF 28-105D. The E-PM1 with kit lens were smaller and lighter than the lens alone.

Since then? 12 bodies not counting the pair of LX100s or taking into account that I've actually owned 3 GM5s
E-PM1, GX1, GX7, GX85, GM1, GM5, E-P5, E-M10 mkI & II, E-M5 mkII, and E-M1 mkI & II

Glass: 35 different lenses (more than half more than once and several more than twice o_O).
I had a great run with a D700. Decided to cut down and went with a D7000. That lasted about 3 months when I picked up the PM1. It's been 97.5% all mirrorless since then. M43>Fuji>Sony>M43>Sony>Pentax>Fuji>M43.

What I've learned in my mirrorless journey?
That the thrill of different gear overpowers my sensibility. That my long run of carelessness is nearing it's end and if I want the most from the least, M43 is an easy choice(imo).

kinlau

Mu-43 All-Pro
GH1 in 2010 with the 14-140. The GF3 + 20/1.7 was what really made me love the format.

Since then, GH2, GH3, G7, GX7, G85, two G9’s, LX100, EPL3 that’s been IR converted.

Still have a full Canon full frame system, and slowly building a Sony FF kit to replace that.

Real Name
Rob
Coming up for seven years...

July 2012. I got some money for my 25 year long service award from work and decided it was time to replace the film SLR with something digital. I assumed I was going to get a Nikon, then when I started researching, something drew me to m43 instead. So...

July 2012: Panasonic G3 (only very recently given to my daughter who loves it).
Mid 2014: Added an Olympus E-PM2 on super cheap close-out sale, which eventually became my main camera. Still use it.
July 2018: Got an Olympus OM-D EM10ii on super cheap close out sale, as a similar “long service” present from my “main” employer (the one at home...)

Can’t see me changing systems any time soon. Too many lenses etc. My biggest issues for improvement photographically are not even slightly related to the capability of the equipment.

I had been taking photos with various P&S digital Canon cameras for a while (having given up film). I had been reading about mirrorless and particular micro four thirds and decided to get a digital interchangeable lens camera. BH Photo had a sale (what else is new) and so I ordered a Panasonic G3 back in December 2012. I discovered this forum, discovered the buzz about the EM5, and picked up a refurb EM5 shortly thereafter. I used to own an Olympus OM1, my first SLR, in the early 1970s, and was therefore very familiar with Olympus. Currently have EM5II, GX85, GM1 and a bunch of lenses (O 9-18, PL 8-18, P 12-35 2.8, P 12-35 4, O 12-40, P 35-100 2.8, P 35-100 4, P 14-140, O 14-150, P 100-300, P 15, P 20, O 25, P 42.5, S 56, O 75). Looking at upgrading the GX85 to a GX9 at some point.

I have no regrets. For me, the biggest advantage is the compact size - I went and looked at a Nikon APS-C camera for comparison before buying the G3 and decided I did not want that bulk. Though we often complain about them, the prices for bodies and lenses in the mu43 system are MUCH more reasonable than in other systems, such as APS-C. I have multiple bodies and multiple lenses without spending huge amounts of money. There are many superb quality lenses, and I can afford to own many of them.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom