Pocketing your Panasonic

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by craniac, Aug 31, 2013.

1. craniac

craniac Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2013
    Orem, Utah.
    Mark Crane
    So, do you actually carry your Panasonic in your pocket? If so, what is your body/lens combination?

I have a GX1 witha 14mm lens, but it is so new that I carry it in a bulky shoulder bag. I need to just pocket this baby so I use it more when going out.

2. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I often carry a GX1 with the 20/1.7 in one jacket pocket and the 14/2.5 and 45/1.8 in the other. The viewfinder makes it a bit hard to slip in and out =/ I hope the GX7 will pocket as well as the GF models.

3. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I spent a week last year on vacation with an E-PM1 plus Richard Franiec grip and the 14-42 II. Fit fine in the pocket of cargo type shorts. I didn't have the 14mm I have now, but swapping the 14-42 for the 14mm and the GX1 would be a "just" lighter combo, but noticeable slimmer.

Size Compare

4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The only cameras I think I've ever carried in my pocket were an Olympus Stylus 35mm camera, a Rollei 35, and my Canon S95. Everything else gets carried in a bag, on a sling strap or, occasionally, a neck strap.

5. RajC

RajC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    I, too, was able to carry a Rollei 35 in my pocket. A fun camera to use but IQ was awful.
    Since then, Canon A70 and more recent versions of the Canon A line that include viewfinders.
    The A70 was a great 3 mp camera. It used CF cards!

6. MarylandUSA

MarylandUSA Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Paul Franklin Stregevsky
    Check out the Manfrotto Nano VII belt pouch. It can hold my G3 vertically alongside an unmounted 10/1.7 with, metal hood. Barely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Mu-43 mobile app

7. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Do you wear skinny or slim cut jeans? Not gonna happen. Maybe with ghetto-tastic baggies from the 1990s. Of course it will fit in cargo pockets but a heavy camera at mid-leg makes walking awkward albeit you may score more dates.

When the weather cools down the GX1/14 2.5 fits fine in most coat pockets but your coat may hang crooked. I use the same combo and my windbreaker looked like I had a brick in the pocket and drooped about 10 inches. No problem in a heavy leather moto jacket. I always carry a messenger bag and my GX1/14mm ends up in there most of the time with my other essentials.

Domke and Timbuk2 (Porkchop) make small belt packs that fit it. I tried it once with my Porkchop and found it difficult to sit down with a pouch poking me in the gut. It's okay for walking if you don't mind the geeky vibe of a tool belt.

Pork Chop Belt Pack | Camera Phone Belt Pack - Timbuk2 Bags

Amazon.com: Domke 710-30A F-945 Belt Pouch (RuggedWear): Camera & Photo

8. eljay

eljay Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    I agree with gochugogi.

I'm new to m43, but I just don't see this whole "pocketable" thing.
    Everyone talks about putting their camera in a jacket pocket. Well, I don't know who wears a jacket all summer and even when it gets colder, I agree that it's pretty awkward to have a GX1+20mm in a pocket as it does pull down whatever you're wearing.
    I have tried to carry the combo in the large side pocket of my shorts, but it was pretty weird to have one side pulled down and the camera hitting my knee all the time.

Needless to say, I'm no longer pocketing anything and carrying my GX1+14-42pz+20mm in a Golla G1018 Salmiac bag , which is nice and small and does a great job for carrying my kit.

9. craniac

craniac Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2013
    Orem, Utah.
    Mark Crane
    I'd like to find a neoprene sleeve so I could just put the camera in whichever bag I am using on a particular day.

10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    E-Pm1/2 with the 14 is about as close as it gets with mu43. The 15 bodycap is pocket-able, but that's a more of a lens compromise than most want on a regular basis. I've just gotten a small bag for the summer and my winter/fall coat has big enough pockets.

11. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    The GF3 and 20/1.7 or 14/2.5 or 14-42z is pocketable, definitely a coated pocket, not pants but I've done it.

12. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I suspect the answers to this thread will depend entirely on one's age!

I'm old, let's get that out of the way. Which mean I definitely don't wear skin-tight pants (big sigh of relief, I'm sure, from people who know me); actually prefer the 'relaxed' fit. And while I don't wear specifically "cargo" pants, my pants do tend to be baggy and have big pockets.

Which allows me to routinely carry a small m43 camera in my pocket--the PL1 at first (though it turned out a little too big), then the PM1, then the PM2, usually with the Panny 14mm f/2.5 pancake lens. I find the combination comfortable to carry, easy to extract, and obviously it takes great pictures.

Now, a confession: I recently decided to try a NEX body precisely because they're so small, and am finding I actually like the combination of NEX-5N + Sony 20mm pancake even more. The size and weight are awfully close to the m43 system, but I find the grip so much better for my hands. If Oly/Panny would actually produce a tiny camera with a great grip . . . oh well. Ironically, my small camera has become the one with the largest sensor.

So, an alternative answer to the OP's question: yes, I can and do carry a small m43 camera in my pocket.

13. craniac

craniac Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2013
    Orem, Utah.
    Mark Crane
    I have a 14mm lens right now and a 50mm Olympus manual lens with an adapter. I'm in a country where the cost of shipping another lens out is pretty high, so I'll have to make do with these for a few years or buy a different camera with a kit lens.