Pocketable camera por street and travel

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by jorgetalko, Nov 24, 2014.

1. jorgetalko

jorgetalko Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 16, 2012
    Buenos Aires
    I use an OMD-5 for nature and wild life, but now I am looking for a smaller equipment pro street photos and travel.
    pl7 or GMxx panasonic are my doubts.
    Any recommendation will be welcomed
  2. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Do you need to be able to photograph pictures with focal lengths outside 12-35? If this is not a big consideration, you may want to consider the LX100. It does not have a removable lens, but the built in lens is very fast and good (12-35), and the sensor is m43 (though it only uses 12.8 of the 16 Megapixels of the chip). It also shoots 4K video.

I cannot provide recommendations on smaller m43 cameras with removable lenses as I don't have any recent ones myself, I'm afraid.
  3. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    If you ever consider a fixed lens camera the Ricoh GR APS-C is amazing. Super sharp lens, no low pass filter, ND filter built in and super light. It really fits in a pants pocket.
  4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    If you want to stay within m43, you might want to also look at the Olympus EPM series of cameras paired with something like the 14/2.5 pancake. Not very expensive.
  5. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    If you want to use your existing lenses, either one of the two cameras you mentioned will serve you well - it's just a question of what's more important: Tilting screen and better grip and very good handling or small size, small, yet useful EVF and still decent handling. In fact, I did like the feel of the GM5 in the hand quite a bit - it at least equals my E-PM1. Still, after holding the E-PL5, I suspect that the E-PL7 will handle a lot better. If the latter is still a small camera is up for discussion - for me, it's borderline (too close to the size of the E-M10 to be called small, that is). Considering the prices around here (it might be different in your part of the world), there's no reason to opt for an E-PM2 or E-PM1 if you can get the E-PL7 instead - the additional cost is definitely worth it.

As far as lenses go, the Panasonic 12-32mm is a fine lens and extremely small - that'd be my first choice on either body. I'd choose the 20mm f/1.7, the 17mm f/1.8 or the 15mm f/1.7 over the 14mm f/2.5 for quality reasons, but the 14mm *is* small - just about the same size as the 12-32mm, in fact. On my walkaround mFT, the E-PM1, I use the 20mm or the 12-32mm, depending on needs and goals. For convenience and speed, the 12-32mm wins, for IQ and flow, the 20mm is better. I have traveled with the 12-32mm exclusively, and it proved at least satisfactory.

As has been said, the LX100 is a very good choice if changing lenses is not the highest priority. The GR plays in another league altogether - it's a great camera in its own right (IQ is far superior to anything I've seen from mFT ...), but it's also quite a different camera. If you're into mFT, it might not be what you expect - but if you find yourself liking it, it's a fantastic camera.

• Like Like x 1
  6. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    +1 for the E-PL7. In my book, small enough to be carried around easily, especially with a small (pancake) lens. Great camera!
  7. Viktor1135

Viktor1135 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 23, 2014
    GM1 is very "coat pocketable" with kit 12-32mm, 15mm f/1.7 PL or the new 35-100mm.

8. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    If you want fixed lens, you might want to take a look at the Ricoh GR as well.
  9. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    You are in a position constrained by physics. Interchangeable lens cameras will not be "pocketable" save for pancake lens types such as Panny GF series or Oly EPL- type. Option two is to get a non-interchangeable lens with zoom. You used to have to accept a small sensor size to get that option.
    Now you can get larger sensor seize,and true pocketability. This involves giving up certain things such as large swing-out viewing screens and EVFs. I recently got a Canon G7X and used it successfully. I took my EM-1 for the serious stuff but the G7 X did fit nicely in my pants pocket.
  10. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Really pocketable? RX100 series from Sony or Canon's G7x. Sorta pocketable opens a ton of other options (Ricoh GR, LX100, Fuji x100 family, GM series, E-PM series...)
  11. jorgetalko

jorgetalko Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 16, 2012
    Buenos Aires
    Thank you to all with the suggestions. Now I will have to decide by myself.
  12. Belin

Belin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 3, 2014
    for smart traveling and always-with-me camera I have got a Panny TZ55. Not a MFT, though.
    I think it's better to carry a lower performing device but always, than having some good stuff that you do not take with you because bulky.
  13. MiguelATF

MiguelATF Mu-43 Veteran

I hear the new Canon G7X is superb. If you don't mind slightly older technology and a smaller sensor, the Lumix LX7 is a great (and definitely pocketable) small camera with both a fast lens, and a brilliant macro mode. Both the Nikon Coolpix A and the Ricoh GR (which both have superb 28mm fixed-equialent lenses) are remarkable (and very pocketable) cameras. And finally there's my current and almost pocketable compact, the underrated (in my opinion) and much maligned (due to its early autofocus woes, largely fixed in a firmware upgrade) Canon EOS-M with its diminutive but super-sharp 22mm pancake lens (a 35mm FOV equivalent).

All of the above are great - and small - cameras. Probably the Olympus PL5 or PL7 should be on the list, with either the 14mm or 20mm Panasonic pancake lenses (both high quality and tiny enough to keep the overall size down), as well as the PM2 which, like the EOS-M, has minimal controls (dials/buttons) but relatively easy (and good) touchscreen capabilities.

Good luck.
  14. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    The PL5 and PL7 will definitely out perform any of the others you mention since they have the same sensor as the EM-5 and EM-1. The 5 way IS just doesn't make them that much better, But you will pay with increased weight and size.
  15. Dayam

Dayam Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Are you also considering the Fujifilm X30? My sister just bought one and based the pictures she's taken looks pretty good!
  16. nardoleo

nardoleo Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    I would also recommend the Panasonic GM5.

Its pretty niffty and as its also a m43 cam, can act as a spare camera for you too
  17. plaatje

plaatje Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    A friend of mine bought the x-20, much cheaper now. Must say that I like the image quality . . .
  18. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I'd definitely stick with ICL m4/3s and not another type of camera because then you can interchange the lenses with your OMD. The best quality for the money is the PM2. Also, it's second smallest behind the GM1 (or GM5). But the PM2 is still quite a bit cheaper than a GM1 and the PM2 also has 2-axis IBIS.

You obviously don't want an EM10 and probably not the P5 because they're overall a bit bigger. GX7 is worth a look as is the PL7 you mentioned. The PL7's release finally rendered a 16MP m4/3s body obsolete: the PL5. It's a great camera, sure, but the PL7 is a direct replacement (where the PM2 is still notably smaller and, for example, the EM5 is still not obsolete because it's smaller than the EM1 and has certain features the EM10 doesn't).

I'd say look hard at the PM2, PL5, or GM1. If you have more money, GM5, PL7, or even GX7.
  19. darcius1

darcius1 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Sandwich Isles
    I guess it depends on what your definition of pocketable is. There is jeans pocketable, army pants cargo pocketable, which is different from convertible hiking pants pocketable, hunting jacket game pouch pocketable.

Sent from my D5303 using Mu-43 mobile app
  20. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    For me, "pocketable" is RX100 size or smaller. I've taken some high quality pictures with my iPhone 6+ - 8mp, OIS, auto-balanced flash temp, the biggest LCD of any camera, ... . Now if they'd give access to the raw files.