Pocket-size camera recommendation

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by briloop, Jun 27, 2014.

1. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    I have the E-M1 and the 12-40, but I prefer a smaller M43 camera that would fit in a large pocket or a small bag. What pocket-sized M43 camera would you recommend? Thanks
  2. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I have a PM1 and PM2 for pocket (cargo pants) duty with 14mm and 20mm pancakes. The GM1 or RX100 are other great options as well.
  3. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    E-PMx, GFx or GM1 are the smallest models at the moment. The GM1 is probably the smallest of the lot. Once the lens goes on, the pocket size starts to increase.

Here you can see the E-PM2, GM1, Pentax Q & Canon S120 for size comparison

I use the E-PM1 and a 20mm or 14mm pancake, and have been very satisfied with the combination.
  4. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    GM1. I have one, it's tiny as far as MFT cameras go, and it complements the EM1 well.
  5. Icarus

Icarus Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 5, 2014
    Gm1 - that thing is tiny but mighty (and sexy in silver)
  6. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Gm1 is the tiny....

I was just at the store today that had it on display (yes I am considering it). WIth the 12-32 lens attached, I still don't think I would consider it "pocketable". Its the nature of being a camera w/ an interchangeable lens mount. I'm still leaning towards the RX100 for my pocketable camera.
  7. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    I came across this thread: E-PM2 + pancakes or large-sensor compact (RX100, LX8 etc.) https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=65732 This is a great thread on pocket-sized cameras. Apparently there are a lot of us looking for such a camera.

After reading the thread, I re-evaluated my need for a M43 pocket-sized camera, and widened the search. I decided on the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 II. I bought a kit from a dealer on eBay. The kit included the following accessories: 16GB SD card, two extra batteries, a battery charger, and a bag. I bought the kit for $75 less than what Amazon sells the camera with no accessories only.
  8. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    GM1 gets my vote.
  9. namssurt

namssurt New to Mu-43

Jul 6, 2014
    I have the oly e-pm2 with the lenscap fisheye. I chose the camera because of quality vs price vs weight and the lens because I wanted something wider than the kit zoom but couldn't bring myself to shell out what they were asking for the 12mm prime.

Photoshop has the ability to de-fisheye the images and I have been experimenting with the geometric correction functions of Photoshop such as removing perspective distortion as if I had used a tilt and shift lens setup.

Obviously this is not the perfect IQ but the IQ is surprisingly good for walkabout photography with an end result similar to a cheap 12mm assuming someone made one. Not very good for indoors unless very well lit since it is preset to f8 only. And DOF includes basically everything (don't focus, just set to hyperfocal length) so BOKEH is non existent. The strap is more bulky than the camera!

The real beauty of this is that you can have this camera in one pocket and another lens (I like oly's 45mm f 1.8) in another pocket and you are ready for the quick and dirty pix and with minimal effort you can switch to a completely different POV and IQ.

Be honest though, if size is the be-all and end-all it might be easier to also own a higher grade compact zoom as an alternate. One of the better ones at a reasonable price is oly's xz-2 IHS. Sony makes some excellent ones but the price isn't that good
  10. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK

My pocket camera. I cheat by using the digital teleconverter [emoji33]
  11. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    Great combination. Does that lens perform well in low-light conditions? How is image quality using digital teleconverter?
  12. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    1. It's rubbish in low light unless you can manage a long exposure. It's an f8 lens after all. I use a 14/2.5 if I need more speed or focus control. It's not a lot bigger but with the 14 the camera won't go in the back pocket of my jeans anymore. This combination is for "going for a stroll without a photographic agenda" :smile:

2. I can't see any problems with the digital converter, it only works on jpegs. I keep it assigned to the Fn button to save carrying a bigger lens. Here's a sample.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Ricoh GR. An apsc size sensor on a body as small as an epm2 with a fast 28mm f2.8 lens which fits your front pants pocket!. The iq quality you will get from that camera nothing comes closer at the size on the market, except for a sony rx1 which is full frame.

I personally consider it 'photography best kept secret'

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43
    • Like Like x 1
  14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    RX100s are going pretty low these days since they are two gens behind the recent model. The GR is obviously an excellent choice if you are happy with a fixed lens of that FL.