Pocket Rocket Panasonic Lumix G100

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
Well, I understand what you are saying, but Panasonic did not have IBIS in ANY body up until fairly recently. It wasn't a function just missing from its lower-end cameras. So to all of a sudden make a mid-priced camera without IBIS takes folks by surprise, I think.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
How many APS-C bodies have IBIS? I don't think any Sony's have it, the z50 doesn't, not sure about Canon. Only 2 Fujis have it, as far as I know. When I look at the G100, I see it as competing with some of the entry-level Sony APS-C cameras. I think as long as the GX9 is being sold, that's going to be considered the next level camera up. A GX10 with the G100's EVF would be quite interesting to me.

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
How many APS-C bodies have IBIS?
I know of three Fujis (X-S10, X-T4, X-H1) with sensor shift IBIS plus the A6600. G100 street is quite a bit under those.

Fuji customers are presumably going demand IBIS on the X-Pro4 and I'm thinking the X-T40 might get it, but those are a ways out. Given Nikon's APS-C reluctance and Canon's M execution to date I'm not particularly anticipating IBIS in either of those mounts (Canon did file an M-type IBIS patent, so they've at least put minor money into it though).

So to all of a sudden make a mid-priced camera without IBIS takes folks by surprise, I think.
At least where I am street on the G100 is less than the G7, which was previously Panasonic's low end G. So if people are thinking the G100's mid-priced perhaps that's a marketing failure. Or perhaps it's just forum habits of posting opinions with restricted factual relevance.

It is, perhaps, an interesting point street on the G100 and GX80 are currently near identical (again within my market) and the GX80 does have IBIS. Marketing and pricing decisions are usually more about gaming customers for money than maximizing correlation between spending and features, though.

Personally, my suspicion is ongoing new availability of older generation bodies like the G7 and G80 is an indication Panasonic doesn't care about getting remaining legacy inventory out of the channel. Which suggests to me there's not enough of it to be financially significant.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
At least where I am street on the G100 is less than the G7, which was previously Panasonic's low end G. So if people are thinking the G100's mid-priced perhaps that's a marketing failure. Or perhaps it's just forum habits of posting opinions with restricted factual relevance.
The G100 is onsale at B&H now for $597 (regular price $747). That's just about ballpark for what I consider a mid-priced ILC camera, regardless of where it fits in the manufacturer's lineup of models. I guess maybe my thinking is a little off and I need to update my perception of what "mid-priced" is, but I was correct in what I myself thought was the approximate going price for the G100.

Regardless, I'll rephrase what I said to: "So to all of a sudden make a m43 camera without IBIS takes folks by surprise, I think." I think that's what I really meant. Nowadays, all (I think) Oly m43 ILCs and most Panasonic m43 ILCs have IBIS. So to make one without it is a surprise, I think.

Last edited:

DAEMANO

Mu-43 Regular
Funny, because Panasonic was lambasted when the G100 was announced for it's specs. Reality is that most major mfgs make about the same calculus for "vlogging" cameras when determining features and performance.

Make/ModelIBISStabilization4k CropEVF
Sony EV-10 NoLens + e-Stab24FPS - 0x / 30FPS 1.22xNone
Canon M50 Mk IINoLens + e-Stab1.5x2.36 Mpx
Lumix G100NoLens + e-Stab1.26x2.69 Mpx
Fujifilm XT200NoLens + e-Stab0x2.36 Mpx

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Funny, because Panasonic was lambasted when the G100 was announced for it's specs. Reality is that most major mfgs make about the same calculus for "vlogging" cameras when determining features and performance.

Make/ModelIBISStabilization4k CropEVF
Sony EV-10NoLens + e-Stab24FPS - 0x / 30FPS 1.22xNone
Canon M50 Mk IINoLens + e-Stab1.5x2.36 Mpx
Lumix G100NoLens + e-Stab1.26x2.69 Mpx
Fujifilm XT200NoLens + e-Stab0x2.36 Mpx
The new ZV-E10 announce by Sony a few days ago lists "Standard and Active Stabilization". No idea what that means.

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
The lack of IBIS seems to be the order of the day from a "vlogger" camera point of view, but is very noticeable in a "photographer" perspective. Guess it boils down to perceived expectations, and why I have been starting to use the word "multiverse" instead of "universe" in describing M43 lately, somewhat based on the notion of the different kinds of users of to-days cameras.
Perhaps the time is due to have some sort of philosophical discussion on that particular topic. :hiding: I have looked over the curriculum of the basic trade school education in Norway, and it is now geared towards content creation, not just photography.

One can, in year two specialize in photography, leading towards a trade letter but those placements are far and few between, I havent seen a ad for such for any sort of local news media over the last few years, for example.

Latest threads

Top Bottom