Pocket Rocket Panasonic Lumix G100

rav

Mu-43 All-Pro
I'm not sure whether the G100 is a pocket rocket or not. The GM1 and GM5 are, but I am not sure just how pocketable the G100 is with that viewfinder hump and its larger dimensions.

That withstanding, I do like the idea of the G100. Lack of Ibis puts me off less than the flash sync speed though. Those are some nice photos, Rav!
Yes the Ibis would have been great. And thanks for the compliment.

RAH

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rich
I'm not sure whether the G100 is a pocket rocket or not. The GM1 and GM5 are, but I am not sure just how pocketable the G100 is with that viewfinder hump and its larger dimensions.
Yes, I was quite disappointed when the G100 came out and everyone was saying how small it is, and I was thinking it might be a good replacement for the no-longer-available GM5. Um, it's not that small. Here is the G100 vs the E-M10.2:

e-m10_vs_g100.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And no IBIS? Huh?

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
I'm not sure whether the G100 is a pocket rocket or not. The GM1 and GM5 are

I would think the viewfinder hump of the G100 would be less of a challenge than the "lens hump" in terms of necessary pocket size unless you have a really big pocket. ? Of course, the lens could travel separately.

GM5-PEN.jpg

dougpayne

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
C.D. Payne

John M Flores

Super Moderator
As much as the G100 interests me, I have way too many cameras that are just "a little" too big to slide into a pants pocket. So in this class of cameras, the Sony ZV-1 is more interesting.

Last edited:

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I've kicked around the notion of getting a smaller body to go with the G9, but everything ends up just a little too small for my fat hands and picky eyeballs. I wonder if I've not given the G100 a fair shake? It appears to have a fairly large EVF?

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
G100 a fair shake? It appears to have a fairly large EVF?

G9-G100.JPG

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
Yes, but of what quality? The G9's is OLED, while the G100's is LCD. Though it might still be serviceable, just needs to not have the RGB tearing that I noticed on the GX9.

G100-EVF.JPG

dougpayne

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
C.D. Payne
I'm finding the G100's EVF to be way bigger and better than the ones on the GX85 and GX9. The crummy EVFs is the primary reason I gave up on those cameras. Plus, they didn't have much of a grip. If the G100 had internal I.S. and a tilting screen, I'd be in compact camera hog heaven.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I'm finding the G100's EVF to be way bigger and better than the ones on the GX85 and GX9. The crummy EVFs is the primary reason I gave up on those cameras. Plus, they didn't have much of a grip. If the G100 had internal I.S. and a tilting screen, I'd be in compact camera hog heaven.
So it sounds like just as much of an enigma as the GX9--poised to be the compelling upgrade, but falling short. I think if it kept the IBIS and had a second thumb dial in the traditional place, it seems like it would have some real appeal. It's equally perplexing that the gripless GX9 comes with the large-ish 12-60 while the more-gripped G100 comes with the 12-32 pancake.

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
If you use primarily Lumix lenses with the G100, the lack of IBIS many not be a deal-breaker ie you benefit from the lens IS along with some G100 magic software (hybrid). If you use a lot of Oly lenses it might be, depending on the lens. Of course, the ideal [compact] camera we are talking about is very close to what the the Oly 10.2 is/was sans 4MP (or the 20 MP 10.4).

Last edited:

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
In terms of IBIS, the G100 is the same as my G6. But in the terms of everything else, the G100 sounds like a much better camera save for the 1/50 sync speed. Since I still use and like the files I get from my G6 with an OIS lens attached, I'm sure I'll really enjoy the improved sensor, processor and EVF from the newer body. Then there's the battery life, but the G100 has the eco mode that lets you take up to 900 shots, apparently. And I have never had a problem with carrying spare batteries around.

As I said last year, if they could strip everything out of the box and sell the body alone for a €400 price mark I think it would sell well. I must admit I'm pretty close to selling my GM5 and buying a lens-less G100 at its current €449 price. For those in France, that's what DARTY is now selling it for. It's not the same size as a GM5 but it's small enough to make a difference in a bag or large pocket and that appeals to me a lot. Let's be honest, every review seems to like its stills capability, and that's all I care about.

But then, there's the pull of a second-hand EM10ii.....which is a smidge bigger but does have IBIS. Though the sensor is smaller and some other bits and pieces are different. Sigh.

Last edited:

Leolab

Mu-43 Regular
Just picked on of these up on eBay.
I had a GX85 and a GX8 (and many many other m43 models over the years)...my ideal EDC camera has to have a good EVF, and be small but ergonomic. I don't really do video, so for me this has to be a good stills camera.

I'm very happy with the G100...EVF is miles ahead of the GX85, I don't see the color tearing and the EVF is much much larger, similar in size to my EM1ii. I've noticed though with many of the Panny VFs that your eye has to be well-centered or the image gets blurry...this one is no different...the EM1ii EVF is still better but not due to size or panel quality but the optics that magnify the image allow a broader viewing angle. This EVF is pretty close in practice to the GX8 EVF specs notwithstanding.

AF is really fast even with my 20mm, and camera is very responsive, and seemingly endlessly customizable.

Camera is actually very comfortable to hold (for a small camera), has a nice rubberized grip, is neither too light to feel insubstantial nor too heavy. The camera 'feels' smaller than my recollection of the OM10, has many customizable buttons, and rear screen is super bright and sharp. Front scroll wheel is nice and large and metal. This camera however is nowhere near as small as the GM1/5 but I did not expect that either. I the hand its actually a really nice looking camera as well, looking purposeful, lean and somewhat modern.

I plan on using this with a bevy of small primes (the f1.7/1.8s) with which it balances well, I don't anticipate missing the IBIS too often with the wide apertures, and this is certainly a camera that lets you get a solid grip on it.

Overall, I feel that this is a great entry-level stills camera/or EDC camera when priced at ~500$ or less...I also understand that as a blogging camera, it does have some nice features but is less competitive than others, so I think this a classic case of marketing and design not being congruent. It kind of reminds me of the reception that the GX8 received when announced...for the most part it was negative...yet the GX8 has stood the test of time and has been a best-in-class camera for many.

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
Am somewhat tempted by the current pricing up here in Norway, it is currently available for $488ish, including that tripod/grip thingy and the 12-32. The latter could probably be sold off for about $120-140, pushing down the overall price % quite a lot.

Then there is the need/want thingy. Absolutely no need, somewhat want seems to be the order of the day.

DAEMANO

Mu-43 Regular
Overall, I feel that this is a great entry-level stills camera/or EDC camera when priced at ~500$ or less...I also understand that as a blogging camera, it does have some nice features but is less competitive than others, so I think this a classic case of marketing and design not being congruent. It kind of reminds me of the reception that the GX8 received when announced...for the most part it was negative...yet the GX8 has stood the test of time and has been a best-in-class camera for many.
Agree with every point here especially your final one. I can’t help but think if Panasonic called the G100 their “entry-level Content Creators camera” instead of their “entry-level Vloggers camera”, some of the myopic rants about certain specification and feature choices would have been better understood thus mitigated. Now it’s up to people who have actually used the camera to spread the word about its’ merits (if we hope to see another camera in this ultra small form factor again.) The camera has a lot to like about it, especially if bought for around $500.

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
Agree with every point here especially your final one. I can’t help but think if Panasonic called the G100 their “entry-level Content Creators camera” instead of their “entry-level Vloggers camera”, some of the myopic rants about certain specification and feature choices would have been better understood thus mitigated. Now it’s up to people who have actually used the camera to spread the word about its’ merits (if we hope to see another camera in this ultra small form factor again.) The camera has a lot to like about it, especially if bought for around $500.
And I can't help but like your rather moot point that if the public does not buy this then we may not see another small camera from Panasonic for a while, if ever.

dougpayne

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
C.D. Payne
I got my G100 body used in like-new condition in the original box for $450 (price included shipping). I already had the 12-32 and 12-60mm lenses.

Variable

Mu-43 Regular
Good job on the sample photos.

I’m just another poster wondering wtf about a good evf but no stills ibis. At least with ibis- or dual ibis- you have good odds of a sharp photo, even when you can’t see it as well with a screen. EVF and no ibis just feels like it’s not even worth buying a new camera, since we had that already years ago. I get it, it’s small, its price is lowish, but all these gotchas and limitations are just such old-school thinking. Even if you were a vlogger, who would go through the hassle of owning a dedicated camera whose video product is so compromised by the digital stab? I can already get compromised video performance with my smartphone, so why bother with the G100?

It feels really disingenuous of Panasonic to make and market this camera to vloggers, when it’s a decent stills camera with crippled stabilized video. You hear me, Panasonic?!?!?! Get yer act together!

** sound of wind blowing **

archaeopteryx

Gambian sidling bush
I’m just another poster wondering wtf about a good evf but no stills ibis.
Despite the clear evidence to the contrary, a lot of folks on mu-43 seem to expect Panasonic to have been willing to give G90 features to the G100 at a lower price point. Panasonic's not yet (unless I'm missing something) ever put IBIS in a three digit body, though, and I believe the E-M10 III is the only alternative near G100 street price which does have IBIS. IBIS is otherwise at least an E-M5 III or X-S10 price point feature with Canikony wanting more for their bodies with IBIS. At least in the markets I just pulled price history for, the past several months Panasonic's been discounting the G90 enough to undercut all of those alternatives.

This suggests Panasonic's business estimate may be they can move enough G100s to people who aren't going to get an E-M10 III instead and upsell enough of the rest to a G90 to make not putting sensor shift IBIS on the G100 to be a profit maximizing choice. It's also unclear to me why, given the 1.26x 4k crop factor on the IMX269, hybrid video stabilization should be seen as crippled in a practical sense (mind that the 12-32 bundled with the G100 is OIS). It's the sort of specification detail that's a beloved complaint in forum punditry, sure, but I've been unable to find any evidence it's a functionally significant constraint.

Latest threads

Top Bottom