pocket-able mirorless camera

davidzvi

Real Name
David
GM1 + 14mm or 12-32mm would be my picks followed by the GM5 with those lenses (owned both bodies in the past). The smallest m4/3 setup I currently have is the GX85 + 12-32. My current small setup is my Fuji X70 :oops:.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I mean Cargo pants...which are kinda the same...I prefer my wallet in side pocket vs back pocket. I avoid S. Philly so I can't say if that's true.

Fair enough. But you gotta hit Ralph's and Isgro's if you like Italian food and cannoli.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I don't think you'll find any mirrorless will be pants-pocket category AFAIK (particularly with lens attached).

My Canon G9x: yes. My small-body MFT with 12-32mm in Levis or khakis: no way. Even the MFT body is 3X the size of the Canon.

I agree. That's why I recommended the RX100. I think some of the recommendations here are silly. If you really want pocketable find a Canon S120. I think that was last in the series. Pretty good camera on it's day.

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
If you really want pocketable find a Canon S120. I think that was last in the series. Pretty good camera on it's day.

The S120 lives on in the aforementioned G9x...which is essentially the same camera with a Sony 20MP 1 inch sensor. I own both the S110 and the G9x Mk-1 ($350) and they are essentially the same deck-of-cards size. AFAIK, the G9x is the smallest camera currently available with that size sensor.

Last edited:

InlawBiker

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Greg
My pocket camera is an E-PM2 with a viewfinder. I'm starting to prefer carrying this over my G85. If I only carry one lens it's the Panasonic 20 (night) or the little 12-32 zoom. If I carry two it's the 12-32 + Olympus 45 in the other jacket pocket.

I have tried many point n' shoots but I end up hating the shutter lag. My best experience was a Nikon P7800, what a great lens it has.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
Size: Pants-pocket (L) versus Jacket-pocket (R)
Canon_G9x_vs_Lumix_GF1-TPZ-FB.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

UK7Y66WkyPuORKpm1
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

tjdean01

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Feasible M4/3 bodies in order of size, from tiny to small:

Panasonic GM1
Panasonic GM5
Panasonic GF7
Olympus E-PM2 + Panasonic GX850 (tie, since the GX850 is a tiny bit taller, but the E-PM2 is a tiny bit wider)

Compact Camera Meter

The GM5 is the most feature-packed, since it has an EVF and the best controls.

The GX850 has 4K video and has a flip-up screen and a built-in flash.

The GM1 and GF7 are very similar in most ways, except the GF7 screen flips up. Both have a built-in flash.

The E-PM2 has a trade-off with the mechanical shutter compared to the Panasonics. It has a faster maximum speed for the mechanical shutter, but in the midrange it is more likely to cause shutter shock than the shutter in the Panasonics. The E-PM2 has 2-axis IBIS, but I wouldn't bother using it.

The E-PM2 would be the cheapest, followed by the GF7.

I did well with the PM2 but you're right, the stabilization is useless and CAUSES blur. I'd go to ISO 3200 before turning that on. It disables itself when not needed or on on a tripod though, but still.

GM1 flash is pretty much useless because you must shoot at 1/50 to use it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom