PM-2 vs PM-1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by oto02, Jan 2, 2013.

1. oto02

oto02 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    Melbourne, VICTORIA, AU
    Hi Guys
    Happy New Year!

I recently bought the mini PM-2. I have been using PM-1 for quite a while by now and was impressed with it (mostly with Oly 45mm and Panny 20mm to be honest).
    Now that I got PM-2, I can't say it has that WOW factor compared with former one. Haven't tried at night time, but I was expecting much more improvement from this new Sony sensor.

I also used a couple of lenses Panny 14-45mm, bought it after reading few reviews being much better that Oly 14-42mmIIR (which I sold it) but not better; used P 45-200mm, with is a nice zoom lens; Oly 45mm is great indeed but can't really make the difference when I use PM1 and PM2, looks the same.

And yes, Panny 20mm was hunting the focus in a coffee shop, when I saw a few sparrows inside, was no way to get them in focus at all. Even that so far was pleased with this lens, now I may be tempted to switch to PL25.

To cut the long story short, have any of you noticed huge improvement upgrading from PM-1 to PM-2?

2. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Shooting in the daytime w/low ISO will not prove a huge advantage for the newer sensor in general.
  3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I have the PL5 and the PM1. I notice a big difference in high iso behavior, at least a stop.
  4. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    If you can't lock autofocus on the 20mm, then manual focus is the solution. As long as you have a little time, you should be able to nail focus manually with the magnification assist (easier if you have an EVF). I shoot my autofocus lenses in manual a lot.
  5. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I also have PM1 and PM2, the difference at and above ISO800 is significant at normal viewing size especially in lower light. Also, PM2 handles backlit situations MUCH better whereas PM1 needs flash.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App
  6. arfoga

arfoga New to Mu-43

Dec 27, 2012
    Can you tell me more difference between these two cameras?

7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd think the only thing going for the E-PM1 is the all metal exterior versus the plastic chassis of the E-PM2.
  8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    The E-PL5 has the latest 16 mp Sony sensor, external controls, and a flip up LCD. The E-PM2 has the same sensor as the E-PL5. The E-PM1 is the predecessor to the E-PM2. It has far fewer external controls and the older 12 Mp sensor. So, we had the E-PL3 and the E-PM1 (12 MP sensor) which was "replaced" by the E-PL5 and the E-PM2 (16 MP sensor).
  9. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    What you need to understand the is the E-PM2 isn't going to give you magically better results in already good situations; what it will allow you to do is take much better images in more adverse light contexts.

The E-PM2, assuming performance equal or slightly better than the OM-D, absolutely destroy the E-PM1 in high dynamic range or high iso performance. Over 2 stops for dynamic range, about 1.5 stops for low light when factoring in the difference in resolution too. The E-PM2 will also do a much better job or retaining color depth and dynamic range at higher ISOs.

But if you're shooting in daylight without much dynamic range intensive settings, there is no reason for you to notice a huge difference.
  10. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Everybody else has already said the important part, the E-PM2 is tons better in low light.

Another big advantage is that you can program FN-1 to adjust ISO, so that in M mode you have direct control of ISO, Shutter, and Aperture without digging through menus or knowing special key combos. That is huge, in my book.
  11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    My E-PM1s all use the bottom 4-way button as ISO. An ISO trigger near the top controls is better, but not a game-changer in my opinion. My two main uses for the Function buttons are 1) back-button AF (for auto lenses) and 2) magnification or keyline filter (for manual lenses). Well... the E-PM1 only has ONE customizable function button, which means to use both functions I have to dig through the menus to change the Myset depending on what kind of lens I have mounted. Annoying.

So what I'm saying is that my reasons may be different but I am in total agreement with Aegon that the extra Fn button is a BIG advantage, and I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned more here.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    I dont own an E-PM1 so the comparison below may not be accurate.

1. E-PM2 allows in-camera RAW editing.
    2. It has a touch screen.
    3. There are more features now: more art filters and types of bracketing?
    4. The added button is a great bonus.
    5. It has wireless feature, especially for the eye-fi or flashair SD card.
  13. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    The greater dynamic range would be obvious in RAW files in high-contrast scenes, but for Jpegs in decent lighting I would only expect a slight improvement in ultimate detail, with a good lens.
    High-ISO is a different matter.
    I don't own a new-sensor camera but I've taken e-M5 test pictures side-by-side with my older bodies including e-pM1. "Meh", I grunted.
    I haven't bought one yet so the advantages of the new sensor aren't big enough for ME to spend the cash right now.
  14. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    The abundance of processing filters available that actually add noise and high contrast shows that the pursuit of cleaner, higher DR imaging is not a universal goal. I can't therefore guarantee that everyone else will see the same difference that I do between the 12 and 16MP sensors found in Olympus cameras.