1. Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 27
    • Like Like x 19
    • Wow Wow x 2
  2. We stopped first at the picturesque town of Rastoke en route to the Lakes, itself populated by some beautiful falls.

PA300063.
    PA300076.
    PA300095.
    PA300112.
    PA300144.
    PA300176.
    PA300185.
    PA300116.

• Like Like x 16
    • Winner Winner x 14
    • Wow Wow x 1
  3. The autumnal hues were vibrant and lush in the park and around the lakes. Hope I did them justice.
    PA310255.
    PA310321.
    PA310347.
    PA310351.
    PA310413.
    PA310427.
    PA310558.
    PB010100.
    PB010209.

• Like Like x 17
    • Winner Winner x 16
  4. Wonderful work. It looks like a really beautiful place to visit.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. hias

hias Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 6, 2016
    Bavaria
    Hias
    Ah nice, when exactly have you been there?
    I thought about going there in autumn for some time. But planning is not that easy when you're not familiar with the location and want a specific setting :/

6. Went last week.

7. waday

waday Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2017
    PA, USA
    Wade
    Gorgeous! That duck picture! Wow.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. hias

hias Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 6, 2016
    Bavaria
    Hias
    Thank you.
    According to your beautiful pictures there are a lot of beech and maple trees, in order to have some more leafs on them, mid October should be fine. Noted for next year :)

9. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    Great shots!
    I remember visiting Plitvice for a day while Interrailing many years ago. A truly lovely spot, where I used several films.
    I don't think there where as many waterfalls around during our visit (summertime '86 IIRC).

High time I went back for another look!

10. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2015
    Some great shots in there. Makes me want to go. So many places, so little money.

11. Julia

Julia Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Dresden, Germany
    I drooled over your photos ... they are simply magical. Looks so unreal, and to think that Croatia isn’t even that far from here. Are those places easily accessible, or do you need some mad hiking skillz to get there? What about other tourists? I’ve gotten so frustrated on my recent vacation with tourists who wandered into my images, sometimes deliberately after I asked them kindly to just walk behind me instead of pass in front of me ...

12. alan1972

alan1972 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 23, 2012
    Malaga, Spain
    Alan Grant
    I am not the original poster but I have also been to (and loved) Plitvice. The lakes and waterfalls are very accessible with just moderate walking, certainly not hardcore hiking by any means. There are lots of wooden boardwalks to give access to the main waterfalls. There are a also a couple of boat rides across the lakes that can cut out a fair bit of walking distance - the access ticket to the national park includes these boats.

As for other tourists, it is a very popular spot and crowds can be an issue at times. My experience over several visits has been that a lot of visitors come on coach trips, and as most of these trips start on the Croatian coast, they tend to visit around the middle of the day. The narrow boardwalks can get very crowded at that time. The further you walk from the visitor centre the less crowded it gets. In the morning and evening it is far quieter. And of course the further you get from the summer tourist season the quieter it gets. As Alpha Whiskey's photos show, an out-of-season visit can be very rewarding, although the weather is of course more unpredictable.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  13. Hi Julia. Thank you for your comment. I also enjoyed the shots from your recent vacation. They were vibrant and crisp :)
    I think the poster above has adequately answered the query about accessibility. A 10km hike around the park is perfectly easy and broken up by the plentiful photoshops. You can hike up to 18km if you go off the main boardwalk routes and into the forests, but that's pretty easy too (providing you have snacks and water!)

With respect to other tourists, yes there were quite a few there. One or two would wander into the shot, utterly oblivious to me taking it, or simply push me out of the way, but they were the exception rather than the rule. Most of the people were friendly, polite, respectful, and even helpful, both towards myself and each other. Of course I always remember that I am merely a guest at all the places I visit and having a camera doesn't give me any special privilege (I've seen plenty of photographers who behave as though it does!). Everyone else is just as entitled to enjoy and experience these places as I am. It was really great to see so many families bring their young kids to to this place and marvel at the many different waterfalls.
    If there are too many people I simply wait patiently for a clean shot, or adjust my composition accordingly (e.g. frame them out), or find a way to creatively incorporate them into the shot. In fact, I wrote an article for a photography site precisely about people getting in the way :)
    How to Incorporate People into Your Photographs

Thanks again.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  14. SojiOkita

SojiOkita Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2014
    France
    And your last picture of post #3 is good example of this.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Julia

Julia Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Dresden, Germany
    I absolutely agree with you. I have to admit, my last vacation was the first time I’ve ever experienced "issues", to the point where people were shoving aside my equipment to look for some special stones (which are popular on the coast where I was). And that was with miles and miles of coastline, and me inhabiting just a few square feet while I was taking my photo. That just left me speechless. My experience on literally any other trip has usually been marvelous, with people being kind and respectful and we always found a way to take great photos without getting in the way of other tourists and vice versa :)

Thanks for the tips! This all sounds perfectly doable, and I just added this location to my photography travel list :) Oh, it keeps growing and growing ... time to use up some those piled up vacation days next year :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    It's a beautiful place, but, yes it is very very busy in summer.

If you can manage to get into the park early before it officially opens, you can get some good shots before people arrive. Do note that some falls are better seen in the morning or afternoon, depending on whether they are in shadow or not. Should be able to google that info, when you get serious about going.

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. Dan77

Dan77 New to Mu-43

Oct 17, 2017
    Belgium
    Wow.....fantastic pictures ! :clapping:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Zman

Zman Mu-43 Regular

Oct 11, 2016
    Stunning images. Croatia looks beautiful.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Kalifornier

Kalifornier Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 29, 2014
    California