1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

please strip photos from quotes

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by PacNWMike, Dec 17, 2014.

1. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    New member here. I've noticed that many threads have the same photos re-posted and re-posted again via quoted replies. It really makes viewing a pain especially when you are out at the end of a rusty wire like I am. You wait for them to load and then have to scroll past.

Is there a way for the forum software to automatically strip the photos from the quoted replies? If a reply is directed at a specific photo then a simple link would suffice.

Thanks.

• Like Like x 10
  2. swede

swede Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    People can always leave out the image if they want... Just use "Reply with quote" and delete the links or embedded code for the image.

• Like Like x 2
  3. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Watching folk over the years I have noticed some people are unable to do more than (poorly) type. Select and delete seems too advanced.

In defence I will say some some software makes this frustrating by tablet, as the edit win do ****Script seems to fight with the tablet keyboard software.

PS and yet j a v a is stripped from. j a v a s c r i p t

4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    It would be great for forum software to pop up a reminder to lazy folk who are about to quote a load of photos to make a comment ... but of course not all forum software would have the ability.

It really is ten times worse over on DPR by the way, count your blessings here ... ;)

5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    It's very difficult in the Tapatalk app as it will abbreviate the quote in the preview.
    I still do fix it, but I usually have to re-type the closing QUOTE tag manually.

Barry

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I can modify the forum software to replace images in quotes with links

Eg: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=260337

However, sometimes it serves a purpose to show an image in a quote. I'm not sure it's best to take away that functionality from everyone because some members don't use it right.

• Like Like x 6
  7. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Probably hard to accomplish, but something like a larger clickable thumbnail would be nice. Takes up less space, but still easy to figure out what the comment is about.

8. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    This is my approach ... Not that hard really.

Andrew

9. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I would be in agreement with that ... its annoying but really not a big issue for me. I set my phone to not download images by default and don't care on my PC

10. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Indeed. I'm not advocating for removal of that function rather that it not be the default. i.e. that a simple "reply with quote" not include photos. It is a simple matter to make the reasoned decision to include a photo for the sake of the discussion but in most cases it isn't necessary. And it is an extra step to manually strip the quoted photos when only replying to a statement in the text.

Frankly it is a bit difficult and one needs to be careful when stripping the photos. Especially with old eyes. :frown:

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I don't have a way to strip photos from quotes by default and still allow the option of including them.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Been on the site for a long time and never thought it a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  13. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    With decent speeds it wouldn't be noticeable. Out here in the sticks the photo heavy threads already take quite a while to load. So far in my albeit short time here I haven't seen photos quoted for any other reason than to to give a thumbs up. If you really needed it one could quote a photo with the (QUOTE]photo here[/QUOTE) tags. [.] removed for clarity. In any event I suppose that it is a minor issue for most viewers and I don't mean to rock the boat. I enjoy the site and appreciate the effort.

14. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    I would concur - it's better to have have a picture in same post rather than scroll/click 1-2-3 pages back to see it.
    With current internet speeds traffic is no issue and my 30" monitor doesn't ask for much scrolling :tongue:

15. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    I agree that it's not as much of a problem on this board as it is on others.
    I also agree that sometimes I want to include the photo (especially if it is some distance back in the thread)
    but most times would rather not.
    The current set-up gives both options.

Amin has explained that he cannot strip out the default function and leave the option.

Why can't we have everything just the way we want it!
    (stamps foot)

I actually think that often it is members who are not aware they can take out the photos from the quote.
    Maybe a polite PM from an older (wiser) member could educate them.

Or maybe they should just be taken out back and shot.

16. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    This