Please stop with the invisible prices!!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by LowriderS10, Dec 16, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Hi,

First off, I want to say I'm a big fan of B&H and I have bought a TON of gear from you guys and have sent dozens of people your way to shop for their photo needs. Your service has been nothing but fantastic, I have always been a happy customer.

HOWEVER...what's with these invisible prices? Why do I have to add something to the cart to be able to see how much it is? It's bloody annoying. Are you hoping that people would forget that stuff is in the cart and buy it accidentally? I don't get it.

I constantly have to add/delete stuff from the cart just because I want to check prices.

Whatever the reason is, I hate to say it, but it's making you guys come across like you're trying to trick people (not just my opinion, but others I've talked to as well).

Please go back to the old way of doing things - the same way most other respectable establishments do things - and simply list the price at which you're selling your goods.

Thank you and keep up the good work! :)

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I know that there's a practical reason that this has to be done, but I have to admit, it drives me crazy as well. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I don't work for B&H, but in general this is because of manufacturer restrictions. They can't control actual selling prices, but can restrict "advertised prices." If you check the same items on other web sites you'll probably see the same thing. as it says here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/HelpCenter/PricePolicies.jsp

• Like Like x 2
  4. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Well, then, there you go! Thank you for informing me! :)

My beef is officially with the various manufacturers, then! ;) B&H continues to be A-OK in my books haha...

I'm not sure why the manufacturers would want to not have their prices advertised...I think the benefits of selling more units would outweigh whatever drawbacks they perceive there are.

5. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    It goes back to the days when the camera companies did control minimum pricing. The idea was to protect smaller shops with low volume from predatory pricing from larger sellers. The big discount sellers were usually mail order houses with monthly adds in national magazines. If retailer sold goods for too low a price they'd find their next order very slow to arrive or incomplete.

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  6. Joelmusicman

Joelmusicman Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Of course the manufacturers are really doing it for their own good as well as the retailer. If a seller immediately gives away their margins and forces most others to do the same, any additional reductions to goose sales would come almost entirely from the manufacturer.

7. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Yep, MAP restrictions means this happens all over the place especially online. I see it pretty frequently at Amazon too for instance. I agree, it's definitely a pain... but then given the alternative is a considerably higher price, I'll take it I guess.

I'd rather the manufacturer's just admit that their price point is lower, but I can guess what the odds of that happening across the board are... :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  8. henryp

henryp Sponsor

Jan 18, 2010
    New York, NY
    Henry Posner
    As others were kind enough to explain the issue is MAP = minimum advertised price. These programs limits what we can show in ads or online and limits the method by which we can go from the lowest published price to the real price we're actually charging.

Every brand has its own rules and regulations and they sometimes vary within a brand by product genre. There is a head-spinning welter of them and each is unique. They all share two things in common:
    - The rules are strictly policed and rigidly enforced.
    - The consequences of violating any MAP rule can be draconian.

Trust me -- we'd do this the easiest way possible were it up to us.

• Like Like x 7
  9. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I love it when I go to the B&H site and I have to put the item in the cart to get a price. When I have to do that I know I am getting a reduced price. I just bought the PL25 from them and saved a good bit of money over the advertised price. So, putting it in the cart first was actually a pleasure. Got the lens yesterday BTW, sooner than promised and I can't wait to get a chance to put it through its paces.

10. henryp

henryp Sponsor

Jan 18, 2010
    New York, NY
    Henry Posner
    That's TODAY. "Unilateral Price" rules restrict the lowest selling (not advertized) price and have been legal since the Supreme Court's Leegin decision. Companies which have and enforce "unilateral price" rules include Sony, Pentax, Nikon, Canon, LG Electronics, Manfrotto and others.

• Like Like x 3